What is “backcountry” to you?

Bit of a rant on my part that is likely 180* off course…

Who cares if you hunt off your back porch or have to take a Super Cub flight?

The only ones it matter to are those who are looking for yet another reason to feel superior to others or to impress others.

Rant over.
———
Some of the definitions provided don’t hold up.

I can live 500 miles from the nearest person, walk five minutes and hunt. Yet that is not “backcountry” because I only had to walk a few minutes.

I can park my vehicle off an interstate, spend a full day climbing, camp overnight and hunt. Yet despite having a road no more than 5-7 miles away at all times, this is “backcountry” because of the amount of time it takes to get to the hunting spot; doesn’t lend itself to day hunting.

I can spend two days climbing over gnarly ass terrain to get to a prime hunting spot. But because there are illegal immigrants and drug mules in the area, that is not “backcountry”.

Some locations fall under “backcountry” if I hike, based upon the time requirement, but no longer become “backcountry” if I were to use mules because they can cover ground faster than I can.

fatlander

WKR
Back country is where a lot of adult onset hunters and instabro’s aspire to be. They seem to find each other more often than not during the quest to “go in deep” and come out with light packs.

I just go places where there’s elk and no people. It could be next to an international airport and I’d be just fine. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wyobohunter
The only ones it matter to are those who are looking for yet another reason to feel superior to others or to impress others.
Or… Some folks really enjoy backpacking. They also really enjoy hunting. Backpack hunting is a natural progression. Some of us also enjoy talking about the things we like doing. I don’t expect anyone will be impressed by my minor feats.

OP
Wyobohunter
I can spend two days climbing over gnarly ass terrain to get to a prime hunting spot. But because there are illegal immigrants and drug mules in the area, that is not “backcountry”.
I’d call that some of the wildest backcountry.

As far from a road, locked gate, or trailhead as I want it to be for the day. Sometimes it's 1/4 mile, sometimes it might be 2. Never is it more than 3.

I sadly haven't been in the "backcountry" since I was 13 years old. 50 mile hike with my boy scout troop in the Malard Larkins Pioneer Area in Idaho, that trip created some core memories for me I hope I never forget. One of my hopes is to replicate that trip with my wife and kids some day.

When it comes to 'Backcountry' I dont think in miles, I think in hours/terrain to get there.

Hike around a couple mountains, cross 3-4 streams, go up to timberline, hike over a pass and drop back down again.

6-7 hr hike with no trail to get there would fit my 'backcountry'
Agree.

I had no idea who that was so I googled the name. I bet he has a definition and some of us would be happy to hear it, along with everyone else’s.

Jason Matzinger: "Backcountry is where I find myself, and where I let go of my life's trivial problems. I seek the solitude and the wild, and the pedantic ramblings they evoke within me. And, of course, gratuitous slow motion."

WKR
The following is my perception of being in the backcountry.

The backcountry is country accessible by foot, horseback, or canoe with portage. If a 4WD, ATV, motorized watercraft, or even a mountain bike can get there, I’m not in the backcountry.

Fly in is an exception to the above. You can fly in to the backcountry.

Backcountry is not any particular distance from the road.

Poser

WKR
The following is my perception of being in the backcountry.

The backcountry is country accessible by foot, horseback, or canoe with portage. If a 4WD, ATV, motorized watercraft, or even a mountain bike can get there, I’m not in the backcountry.

Fly in is an exception to the above. You can fly in to the backcountry.

Backcountry is not any particular distance from the road.

There’s a group of guys here locally who routinely do these Fatbike/Packraft combo trips to Alaska that are definitely in the “backcountry” and they are using bikes. They probably push and carry them for as many hours as they ride them, but they are off trail and super remote.

I think I see way more posts from people that feel superior for not hitting the “backcountry “, than guys feeling superior for going in the “backcountry”.

You can tell some guys really get their panties all twisted up thinking about the fact that others might possibly enjoy spending time in the outdoors away from other humans. These same folks get pretty outraged by what clothes others might wear😂

OP
Wyobohunter
Agree. I was a little surprised by all of the negative response. Dudes, chill. You’re cool too. I bet your UTV even has a built in kegerator and sit to pee toilets. That’s cool!
🤣

I backpack hunted for elk for around 20 days total through out archery season last year in an area I’ve been going to since 2013. The amount of people I run into varies greatly from year to year. Last year I think I only saw 5 other hunters in passing on trails. I ran into zero out in the woods hunting.The people I do see each year are on a trail almost always. The amount of hunters I have run into off trail in all those years can definitely be counted on two hands.

Throughout the years I have done several weeklong elk hunting trips, and only seen or ran into 1 other group/pair of hunters.

I did a 10 day backpack hunt for spring bear I 2018 and never saw another person.

These experiences are what I would consider being in the backcountry.
I'm curious what state? I have a hard time finding places where people won't go in Oregon on the east side of the state. Not to mention the insane amount of roads. This is excluding pars of Minam and Hells Canyon where I'm not crazy enough to go without a horse.

I'm curious what state? I have a hard time finding places where people won't go in Oregon on the east side of the state. Not to mention the insane amount of roads. This is excluding pars of Minam and Hells Canyon where I'm not crazy enough to go without a horse.
I was crazy enough to go into one of those units without a horse on my deer hunt last year. I was literally the only one in there that did, so it was completely worth it to me. Saw a couple on horses not hunting and 2 guys that came from the river for 1 day, thats it.