What is everybody using for cold weather gloves?

Superdoo

WKR
I'm looking for suggestions. I have skinny fingers so it's tough for me to find a good fitting glove that I can still load a shotgun with. I'm thinking about trying a glomitt from First Light or Kuiu, but I obviously can't try those on first.
I went to scheels today and struck out on finding anything that fit decent except for the Sitka mountain gloves, but I hear they aren't all that warm.

What's everybody else wearing while they chase birds in the snow?

Michael54

WKR
Most of the time just fleece lined leather gloves from tractor supply with a pair of cheap knitted liners underneath.

For pheasants, I have a pair of mountain hardwear gloves that look like a wool blend on the topside. They have a thin fleece layer inside and leather palms. They’re windproof which is nice. The leather is helpful when pulling stickers/sand spurs from the dog’s paws.

If it’s really cold, I mix and match. I’ll add a thin liner glove to my right hand (trigger hand) and wear a heavier snow/ski glove on my left hand. Keep the matching gloves in the vest in case it warms up throughout the day.

Kuiu guide glove. Can lift shell our of vest and load O/U good, Benelli SBE II or Mossberg 500 = OK loading.
I can upland and pheasant hunt about 4 hours in these before too wet. I also carry back up pair of Kinco lined rubber work gloves and hand warmers. If its colder than 20 and powder on the ground I'm skiing or sledding with Hestra guide gloves

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm not chasing birds, so this may not be all that helpful for what you need.

How cold are we talking about?

I use leather Arc'teryx Alpha SL ice climbing gloves, if those are not warm enough I wear the shells of my OR Alti mitts over the glove, and if more warmth is needed I just add the Alti liners as well. Assuming I'm not sitting still, the Alpha SL gloves work well even in below zero weather as they cut the wind. The mittens are used like a parka for when I stop. Of course, if the rest of the clothing system is not up to the weather your hands and feet will be cold regardless of what is on them.

And yes, that is $298 worth of gloves and mitts, but the system works well. In warmer climates lighter mittens could be substituted and significantly reduce the cost. In general, get a light, windproof glove to work as a liner, add a mitten that is appropriate for the climate. The liner gloves will keep your hands warm when you pull the mitten off because you need your fingers. Mittens are much warmer than gloves can ever be.

Or, use a light, windproof glove with a hand warmer stuffed in the back if only out for the day or if the time it takes to pull a mitten off is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’m no bird hunter, but I’m gonna be trying a close fit fleece glove under some ragg wool/thinsulate glommits this winter.
I’d rather prove concept before spending a bunch of money on high brand gear that may or may not be what I like.

I'm looking for suggestions. I have skinny fingers so it's tough for me to find a good fitting glove that I can still load a shotgun with. I'm thinking about trying a glomitt from First Light or Kuiu, but I obviously can't try those on first.
I went to scheels today and struck out on finding anything that fit decent except for the Sitka mountain gloves, but I hear they aren't all that warm.

What's everybody else wearing while they chase birds in the snow?
Deerskin mittens with removable wool liners. I have liners that are both mitten style and finger style. Hands never get cold.

Loper

WKR
I’m no bird hunter, but I’m gonna be trying a close fit fleece glove under some ragg wool/thinsulate glommits this winter.
I’d rather prove concept before spending a bunch of money on high brand gear that may or may not be what I like.

I just got a pair of these and I’m very happy with them, especially for the price. I haven’t used my other gloves at all this year. I love the ability to fold the mitt back and use my bare fingers when needed. I think I paid about $11 on Amazon.

Not sure what kind of bird hunting you are doing, but if waterfowl hunting and just sitting in a blind, I prefer not use gloves and just keep my hands in a muff along with some hot hands.

Wrench

WKR
I find these to be incredibly versatile and give good grip too. When the temp gets sub 25ish, I add a rag wool mit over it.
I've hunted chukar below zero in these alone....but as with chukar, you'll be moving and usually uphill.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Best gloves of (My) all time were kangoroo gloves from cabelas. But they quit making them obviously.. why wouldn’t you

now, I use mechanix gloves and handwarmers... cheap and easy.
Not much is more annoying than paying a good chunk for something and it not fitting- gloves/hats

NEhunter

WKR
I wear plain ol mechanix gloves from end of October till end of January chasing pheasants in Nebraska. Sometimes my hands will get chilled towards the end of the season but not often, has to be real cold and windy.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a pair of otter/beaver mittens made from a local in Alaska when I was there this spring. Not good for bird hunting but should be nice for late season deer hunts where I’m glassing a lot.
f28c648f30a5838b91be1f90efa377ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
We're talking single digits.

For those temps I would not spend the money for OR Alti mitts as there are lots of other good options. I have used the gloves and mitten shells in negative 30 F. While I have not used it below that, the system is designed for negative 50-60s.

OR makes some nice ice climbing gloves that are a bit cheaper than the Arc'terxy. If I rememer correctly (it was last year, so no guarantees) I did not get the OR goves because the fingers were too long.

Many ice climbing gloves fit like Mechanix while having a small amount of insulation and a windstopper layer. Which makes for good shooting gloves.

Vandy321

WKR
Another vote for the Arcteryx Alpha SL...can get them for $80 or so with a discount.

Nice soft leather on the palm/fingers, great for dexterity, slightly tacky so it grips a rifle well. 300g of fleece liner for warmth and gore-tex infinium windstopper.

Bought a pair to replace my older Arcteryx PS150 gloves. When I stop to glass or am at camp, my FL down mittens go on over the top.