What is everyone’s spotter and tripod set up weight?

Elite

WKR
I recently upgraded some of my optics. I am currently running the kowa 883 with the promaster XC525C and a sirui VA5 head. Currently sitting at 7.8 lbs for entire set up. I am starting to worry that this set up is way to much weight for sheep hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just picked up that same combo, but I have the razor 85mm. I wish I would have bought the 65 mm. All in all my weight is just under 8 lbs. Add my 15x56's on to that and... ya, good thing I'm still young.

tdhanses

WKR
I’m right at around 41oz or 2.9lbs for the spotter (Kowa 554) and tripod (KDC Granite Peak with Outdoorsman panner).

If I take my Slik tripod with Outdoorsman head add another 1.8lbs.

AndyB

WKR
Swaro ATS 65, vortex summit ss tripod with outdoorsman Pan head :- 5.10 oz with the lens caps.

Swap spotter for swaro 15x56 and its 5.5 oz with outdoorsman tall adapter.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m not a sheep hunter, but maybe they will chime in. It seems like the only area where sheep hunters splurge on weight is in their spotter and tripod, and they sacrifice everywhere else to accommodate the big glass.

You can’t cheat the mountain

If I go with the spotter/tripod combo that I’ve used for the last 5 years I’m at 88 oz. This includes a 80mm Swaro HD w/Swaro stay-on case and Slik Sprint Mini tripod. If I drop the Slik and go with the Red Mountain Gear base (purchased earlier this year), and use trekking poles, shelter pole, ice axe, etc., for legs, I’m at just under 66 oz. Either way it’s not very light wt. but I just can’t give up the quality glass.

45 ounce Swaro magnesium 20-60x65mm angled scope (naked) and 28 ounce Slik Sprint Pro II w/o extension tube. I have a 24 ounce Nikon ED50 13-30x50mm but prefer the Swaro 100% for sheep.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Definitely seems like my setup is a lot heavier then most... I really don’t know where I could more weight on the set up. From my research the promaster xc525 is the best all around for that big of scope and the tripod head. I could remove the stay in case but like the protection it adds

Definitely seems like my setup is a lot heavier then most... I really don’t know where I could more weight on the set up. From my research the promaster xc525 is the best all around for that big of scope and the tripod head. I could remove the stay in case but like the protection it adds

When I first bought my scope I also bought a Manfrotto CF tripod and pan head. It was a super nice, and very sturdy, tripod, but it weighed 65 oz. After a couple years lugging it around in the mountains, I decided to try and recoup some of my money and buy something lighter. I picked up a used Slik Sprint Mini for around $30, and have used it a ton. It’s definitely not as bomber of a tripod as the Manfrotto, but I sure don’t miss carrying around the extra 2.5 lbs., and it does everything I need it to for less than what it costs to fill up a Prius.

Slik Spirit Pro II - 28oz
Vanguard PH-111V Panhead - 14oz
Vanguard Endeavor 65a scope - 51oz

Total of 5lbs 13oz (93oz).

mcseal2

WKR
Kowa 554 with Kowa stay on case 33oz
Promaster 525 with Outdoorsman's pan head, rifle rest, and bino adapter for my Leicas 52oz

85oz total, 5.32lbs.

It's not featherweight, but it is versatile. The leg unscrews from the tripod to hold up a tarp, use as a trekking pole, whatever. Also it's a really good platform for shooting from. I took game at 300 yards kneeling and 379 yards sitting off the tripod/rifle rest last season when I couldn't go prone. It's worth the weight for me almost all the time.

If I want to go lighter I have a 33" KDC tripod with an Outdoorsmans panner on it. That with the shooting rest is 18oz. The bino adapter is another 5oz. I can get optics (minus Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B binos and harness) down to 56oz or 3.5lbs if I go that route. I miss the bigger tripod if I'll use it much though.

bamagun

FNG
When I first bought my scope I also bought a Manfrotto CF tripod and pan head. It was a super nice, and very sturdy, tripod, but it weighed 65 oz. After a couple years lugging it around in the mountains, I decided to try and recoup some of my money and buy something lighter. I picked up a used Slik Sprint Mini for around $30, and have used it a ton. It’s definitely not as bomber of a tripod as the Manfrotto, but I sure don’t miss carrying around the extra 2.5 lbs., and it does everything I need it to for less than what it costs to fill up a Prius.

Yeah, Im not sure of overall weight, but I have the 290 Carbon, with Manfrottos heavy as crap head, and an 85mm ATX. The tripod and head are super sturdy and smooth, but its too heavy and overbuilt for my applications so ill be picking up a VA-5 head and probably a slik tripod before the summer is over too

Kowa 554 with Kowa stay on case 33oz
Promaster 525 with Outdoorsman's pan head, rifle rest, and bino adapter for my Leicas 52oz

85oz total, 5.32lbs.

It's not featherweight, but it is versatile. The leg unscrews from the tripod to hold up a tarp, use as a trekking pole, whatever. Also it's a really good platform for shooting from. I took game at 300 yards kneeling and 379 yards sitting off the tripod/rifle rest last season when I couldn't go prone. It's worth the weight for me almost all the time.

If I want to go lighter I have a 33" KDC tripod with an Outdoorsmans panner on it. That with the shooting rest is 18oz. The bino adapter is another 5oz. I can get optics (minus Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B binos and harness) down to 56oz or 3.5lbs if I go that route. I miss the bigger tripod if I'll use it much though.

Would you say your tripod is more stable than shooting sticks? I love mine for quick shot opportunities but wondered if I should just get a rest for my tripod.

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
8 pounds 7 ounces
85 ATX
SIRUI VA-5 head
Outdoorsman’s Tall Tripod.

Heavy looking at everyone’s set up posted🤦🏻‍♂️

mcseal2

WKR
It is way more stable with the 2 points of contact with the rifle and 3 legs than my sticks or bipods. It's a little slower to set up than sticks unless I already have the spotter out, but the stability makes it worth it by far to me. I don't use it predator hunting because the 2 legged Rapid Pivot bipod is quicker to move on a predator coming in from another angle but I would have a hard time leaving it at home on a big game hunt. I'd take it to shoot from even if I left the spotter at home I think. The pan head lets me move with an animal easily once it's set at the right height. It's an expensive set up but it works awesome with optics or the rifle.

I took this pic during KS deer season in 2018. I tucked in an opening in the little thicket at the head of a draw and shot my buck from that chair using the tripod at 379 yards. I set the gun up at the edge of the thicket and sat behind more cover until I saw one I wanted moving out of the draw. I slipped the chair out when he wasn't looking to shoot from. I've yet to miss an animal off that tripod and have taken 4 past 300 yards. Shooting a 300 win that weighs just over 8lbs with scope, ammo, sling, everything. It's been a gamechanger for me hunting where vegetation makes prone shooting very difficult.

tripod deer season 2018 2.jpg

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
My spotter and tripod set up has to be reasonably light because I drag the 15x Swaros along an awful lot of the time. I use them way more than the spotter on all my deer hunts. Antelope or elk I can get by with just my 10x and the spotter.

Vortex Razor 65mm (Gen1), 3lbs
Slik Sprint 150, 2.3 lbs
5.3 lbs total
0ZIvtep.jpg

Going light as possible,
Vortex Recon scope 15x50, 1 lb
Slik Sprint Mini II, 1.7 lb
2.7 lbs total
1OslcqJ.jpg

Last edited: