What is on your gear acquistion list for this upcoming season?

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Already got an Kuiu Icon 6000 and new BA sleep System. My WY Elk hunt this year lends itself to a base camp with 1 or 2 day backpack dive-ins so I am in the market for a bascamp tent. My local Cabela's had a Alaknak in the Bargain cave a couple months ago for half of retail. Kicking myself for not buying it.

I ordered a Timberline pack, and thinking about picking up a 20-60X65 Swaro spotter, and the new EL range. Thats about it.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
dirty, well c'mon at least next year could you spend a little money, sheesh-cheepskate! LOL I've got everything on your list...except the EL range. I got the 10x42 EL's though...

Les I have the 10x42 El's, 10x32 El's, and the 20-60X80 hd spotter. I bought the 10X32 El's to save a couple ounces backpack hunting and that is why I'm thinking of buying the El range and the 20-60X65 spotter. The El range kind of annoys me though because its minimum range is 33 yards. Who knows, maybe somebody else will come out with the perfect range finder.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Dirty, I think your plan sounds good.

Here is something to think about, though:

1. The Zeiss Victory RF binocluars have a minimum ranging distance is 10 yards. They are also optically excellent.

2. Going to the 65HD from the 80HD is going to save you 9 ounces. Going to the Nikon ED50 is going to save you 30 ounces! And that doesn't count the tripod weight savings.

cmeier117, hunting is basically the only thing I spend my money on. I'm a major tight ass lol. I just went 34 days and did not spend a dime. It was kind of a goal of mine to see how long I could go. Plus I work a lot. January I worked almost 450 hours. So with not spending anything and working a lot it helps to buy a few nice things every year.

BB, I have thought about the Zeiss also. I have a pair of Zeiss binos and I don't think they are quite as clear when I have taken them hunting as my Swaro's. So that kind of deters me from getting the Zeiss RF. I also like digiscoping and don't know how well the Nikon will work compared to the Swaro? I've never used a Nikon ED50 before?

cmeier117

WKR
cmeier117, hunting is basically the only thing I spend my money on. I'm a major tight ass lol. I just went 34 days and did not spend a dime. It was kind of a goal of mine to see how long I could go. Plus I work a lot. January I worked almost 450 hours. So with not spending anything and working a lot it helps to buy a few nice things every year.

BB, I have thought about the Zeiss also. I have a pair of Zeiss binos and I don't think they are quite as clear when I have taken them hunting as my Swaro's. So that kind of deters me from getting the Zeiss RF. I also like digiscoping and don't know how well the Nikon will work compared to the Swaro? I've never used a Nikon ED50 before?

I thought I worked a lot! Can I ask what you do that has you working 15 hour days? I work for a CPA and thought I had it bad.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Dirty, I also like digiscoping. I haven't digiscoped much with the ED50 yet, but My trials with it are going pretty well. I should have a Tines Up adapter for it soon, and I can get serious. Of course, the small objective will limit the shutter speeds somewhat, but so will the 65HD compared to your 80HD, given the lowest available magnification with the 65HD is 20x.

Which Zeiss did you have? The FL series is pretty impressive, IMO. The Conquest bins aren't quite there though.

I thought I worked a lot! Can I ask what you do that has you working 15 hour days? I work for a CPA and thought I had it bad.

I work in the oilfields of North Dakota. I fracture to be exact. I actually only have to work 2 weeks on, 1 week off but I worked 8 weeks straight before I took a week off last time.

cmeier117

WKR
I work in the oilfields of North Dakota. I fracture to be exact. I actually only have to work 2 weeks on, 1 week off but I worked 8 weeks straight before I took a week off last time.

I heard that North Dakota is the place to go to find work!

JSonn

FNG
Been on a waiting list for 6+ months for the Kuiu Attack Pant (Charcoal) to come back into stock...

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman