What is the archery equivalent of a .243?

Hoodie

WKR
I'll take a shot:

.30-06 100 gr: 70# bow shooting a 350 grain (light for caliber?) arrow?

.243: 50-60# bow shooting a 350 grain (heavy for caliber?) arrow

I'd pretty much agree.

To address wound channel size I'd put a wide cut mechanical on option A and something like a Slick Trick or QAD exodus on option B.

Neither would be my first choice but I'd feel better with the latter than the former.

OP
N
You've participated in many. And, they usually turn into a dumpster fire of arguing where you like to tell people how smart you are and how much you know.

No, I don't view it as a direct comparison. I hope nobody thinks that. I view it as in the realm of rifle cartridges, a .243 sits in a certain place in the spectrum of cartridges. Within the realm of archery, bows, and arrow setups - what setup would sit in a similar place?

As in if a 50 BMG would be to a 90# 32" bow shooting 700 grain arrows, what would a 243 be?

Unless of course the OP was just looking to start another troll thread, then I'll bow out.
@Brendan - you are spot on with the intent of my original question. It was about the spectrum of options for each weapon, not a direct comparison.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
Folks asking about smaller calibers and elk touch a nerve. I’m curious what combination of speed, arrow weight and cutting diameter you think are the equivalent of a .243?

I’m curious what exactly sets you off about hunting elk with smaller calibers? Serious question, I’m not trolling you...

To answer your intended question, IMO, the .243 with a partition which is what I would shoot an elk with if I had to, would match up with a 45 lb draw weight 25-27” draw bow shooting about a 350 grain arrow using cut on contact broad heads with a 1” cutting diameter.

Either combo will do the job given reasonable shot distance and placement into the broadside lung/heart area.

OP
N
I’m curious what exactly sets you off about hunting elk with smaller calibers? Serious question, I’m not trolling you...

To answer your intended question, IMO, the .243 with a partition which is what I would shoot an elk with if I had to, would match up with a 45 lb draw weight 25-27” draw bow shooting about a 350 grain arrow using cut on contact broad heads with a 1” cutting diameter.

Either combo will do the job given reasonable shot distance and placement into the broadside lung/heart area.
Nothing sets me off personally about a .243 and elk. (But it did for some.). I personally think it’s too small unless I’m limiting myself to 100 yds or less but everyone is free to do as they please within what the legal minimums are.

the reason for the post is just there were several small caliber threads recently and I thought an archery analog was a moderately interesting thought experiment-and was curious what others thought.

I personally shoot 285 FPS, 425 gr, 12% foc, 1 1/8” cut on contact set up for archery and .308 for rifle.
Several now have thrown spine into the mix, which is a good add...

Brendan

WKR

There've just been some argumentative threads about it. Granted, some good information by @Formidilosus and others, but you have to wade through a lot of back and forth. One of those things that people get pretty riled up about, especially in the offseason...

Here's one:

Personally, I probably got a little worked up by Form's comments and didn't want this thread to turn into another one of those and an "archery vs. rifle". Who knows, maybe I need a break and a glass of Bourbon and just chill out...

@Formidilosus - No harm no foul.

Brendan

WKR
I'd pretty much agree.

To address wound channel size I'd put a wide cut mechanical on option A and something like a Slick Trick or QAD exodus on option B.

Neither would be my first choice but I'd feel better with the latter than the former.

I'd agree with that. I absolutely think that a well set up lighter poundage bow is a better option than a poorly set up heavier set up.

Similarly. I think that the .243 will be a better option for some people in some scenarios (even on Elk) than something like a 300 RUM.

Just have to know your equipment.