What is the archery equivalent of a .243?

Folks asking about smaller calibers and elk touch a nerve. I’m curious what combination of speed, arrow weight and cutting diameter you think are the equivalent of a .243?

Brendan

WKR
Serious answer: Depends on your draw length and weight, but it'd be shooting a lower draw length, lower poundage, and not super heavy arrow. Just pick a good fixed blade broadhead and you're good. Pick a big ass mechanical with a light arrow and try and shoulder shoot an elk or a moose and you've got problems. Basically: no issues getting the job done if you know its' limitations.

Y’all are making my arrows feel light at 392 gr’s. But that 320fps + or - sure does a number 🏹🏹🏹🦌🦌🦌 and all this time I thought I was shooting the equivalent of a 7 Rem Mag

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Folks asking about smaller calibers and elk touch a nerve. I’m curious what combination of speed, arrow weight and cutting diameter you think are the equivalent of a .243?

There is no archery equivalent of a 243. The most powerful modern bow, with the heaviest arrow, with the best broadhead ever made is a literal joke compared to any centerfire cartridge with jacketed bullets in killing efficiency.

It’s a perfect example of cognitive dissonance.

Brendan

WKR
There is no archery equivalent of a 243. The most powerful modern bow, with the heaviest arrow, with the best broadhead ever made is a literal joke compared to any centerfire cartridge with jacketed bullets in killing efficiency.

It’s a perfect example of cognitive dissonance.

You're missing the point. This isn't a direct comparison of archery vs a rifle (at least not how i'm reading it). Don't turn it into another one of your threads arguing about different calibers and bullets.

Hoodie

WKR
A .243 with what bullet at what impact velocity?

Hard to compare a Ballistic Tip @ 2800 to a Partition @ 2000, etc.

If I were forced to try:

The Ballistic Tip would be analogous to a wide cut mechanical. The Partition might be more comparable to a slick trick standard on a 475-525 grain arrow. A TTSX would be along the lines of a high FOC, 550+ grain arrow with a small cutting diameter 2 blade with a 3:1 length to width ratio.

This doesn't translate to anything in real life obviously.

I'd think about it terms of high penetration potential w/ small diameter wound channel vs wide wound channel with lower penetration potential. Different options would perform better or worse in different scenarios.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You're missing the point. This isn't a direct comparison of archery vs a rifle (at least not how i'm reading it). Don't turn it into another one of your threads arguing about different calibers and bullets.

Please point out one of my threads that’s about different calibers and bullets.

Unless English isn’t his, or your first language, this-
what combination of speed, arrow weight and cutting diameter you think are the equivalent of a .243?

Is straight forward. He’s literally asking what archery combination matches a 243. The answer is: there are none.

Brendan

WKR
Please point out one of my threads that’s about different calibers and bullets.

Unless English isn’t his, or your first language, this-

Is straight forward. He’s literally asking what archery combination matches a 243. The answer is: there are none.
You've participated in many. And, they usually turn into a dumpster fire of arguing where you like to tell people how smart you are and how much you know.

No, I don't view it as a direct comparison. I hope nobody thinks that. I view it as in the realm of rifle cartridges, a .243 sits in a certain place in the spectrum of cartridges. Within the realm of archery, bows, and arrow setups - what setup would sit in a similar place?

As in if a 50 BMG would be to a 90# 32" bow shooting 700 grain arrows, what would a 243 be?

Unless of course the OP was just looking to start another troll thread, then I'll bow out.

You've participated in many. And, they usually turn into a dumpster fire of arguing where you like to tell people how smart you are and how much you know.

No, I don't view it as a direct comparison. I hope nobody thinks that. I view it as in the realm of rifle cartridges, a .243 sits in a certain place in the spectrum of cartridges. Within the realm of archery, bows, and arrow setups - what setup would sit in a similar place?

As in if a 50 BMG would be to a 90# 32" bow shooting 700 grain arrows, what would a 243 be?

Unless of course the OP was just looking to start another troll thread, then I'll bow out.
Exactly!

Brendan

WKR
What is the archery equivalent of a .30-06 with a 110 grain V-Max?

How about a .243 with a 100 grain Partition?

I'll take a shot:

.30-06 100 gr: 70# bow shooting a 350 grain (light for caliber?) arrow?

.243: 50-60# bow shooting a 350 grain (heavy for caliber?) arrow

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
And, they usually turn into a dumpster fire of arguing where you like to tell people how smart you are and how much you know.
Clearly that’s it. Here I was believing discussions are for on objective exchanging of factual information.