What is the best Ballistic Calculator for iPhone?

Shooter is working like a champ... I killed my target 1st shot last weekend at one thousand and twenty yards. It's farther if you spell it out. Dialed up 20.5 MOA and letter rip! 2 1/4" low. Had I held the other 0.2 MOA it said I needed, elevation would have been SPOT ON!

Boom! That's a helluva shot man way to go... Also I finally got a call back from MGM targets today. If you give them a call talk to Kevin Murphy and tell him I referred you. If you pick it up in person you can get a 10% discount and I believe they are there in Boise. I'll text you the number!

Mike

Whisky

WKR
Shooter is working like a champ... I killed my target 1st shot last weekend at one thousand and twenty yards. It's farther if you spell it out. Dialed up 20.5 MOA and letter rip! 2 1/4" low. Had I held the other 0.2 MOA it said I needed, elevation would have been SPOT ON!

Heck of a shot indeed. Fun ain't it? You keep shooting further and further and pretty soon you will be looking to build something bigger, so you can shoot further yet......Trust me. :D

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I still attribute most of it to beginner's luck combined with getting real lucky in getting a good shooting factory rifle, AND most importantly some good advice from all the fellas here on Rokslide! It is addicting and I'm sure I will keep stretching it out to find the limit with my current bullet. I suspect I'm already close.

Speaking of which... What factors go into determining maximum range from a terminal ballistic standpoint? Obviously bullet design, velocity, and KE are important. What are some "rules of thumb" for how much energy is needed for say wolf/deer sized critters versus an elk sized animal. I would guess that while I might make a good hit on an elk at 1000 yd, a safer more ethical limit would be 700 - 800 due to terminal ballistics. Deer might stretch it out a bit further due to their smaller/lighter build and less penetration needed but I'm guessing no more than 900-1000 yd. I can tell you right now - I would try a wolf at 1200 if necessary. I can provide a little info on my ballistics for discussion: Muzzle velocity 3167, 160gr Nosler Accubond.

Dist Velocity Energy
600 2272 1834
700 2140 1627
800 2012 1438
900 1889 1268
1000 1771 1114
1100 1659 978
1200 1552 856

And Whisky, you're right... I've already been conjuring up 338 dreams in the back of my mind...

Effective distance on game is different for some than others.... I can quantify any data for you but for Berger VLD's and elk we like to stay above 1200 ft lbs of energy. Deer is 1000 ft lbs... wolves are as far as we can see them! :)

Mike

Whisky

WKR
The unwritten "rule" for deer/antelope is 1000ft/lbs minimum. For elk I believe it's 1500ft/lbs. Do people kill deer and antelope with less than 1000, absolutely.

The other factor to consider is bullet design, like you say. Different bullets react differently with different energy/velocity. I think some bullet manufacturers recommend a certain amount of energy for their bullet to work as designed. You would have to find what that number is, and match it with the "rule of thumbs" mentioned above, and that would give you a good start.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about energy, it is only one way that the necessary tissue damage is done.

Bow kills are made with very little energy.

I would look at impact velocity. You need to hit fast enough to have the bullet upset. the upset of the bullet causes the damage either by fragmentation, pressure, or a combination. Most hunting bullets are designed to upset at 1800 fps+.

Some guys are having good luck at long ranges and lower impact velocities by annealing bullet jackets (typically on traditional cup and core designs like Bergers and Sierra Matchkings, etc.) so they upset at lower velocities.

Me, I like hunting bullets and keep my impact velocities above 1800.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
BTW,

I don't know if the annealing does any good or not. I haven't tried it myself. I just know that some have tried it, and report good results.

Annealing a bullet jacket would be something id stay away from.

The lay person doesn't have the equipment to accurately heat, and cool to get a consistent hardness.

You could very likely end up with a bunch of bullets with no terminal consistency.

Bow kills indeed have very little energy but don't require any assistance for expansion like a bullet.

A 300 Grain Berger VLD at 2800 fps will hit 1800 fps around 1150 yards, but still packs 2150 ft lbs of energy. At 1750 yards it's down to 1360 fps and 1236 ft lbs of energy.

A 168 Grain Berger VLD at 2950 fps will hit 1800 fps at 1000 yards roughly but only has 1179 ft lbs of energy. At 1750 yards it his subsonic speeds of 1098 fps and only 450 ft lbs of energy.

I've heard that Berger recommends 1800 fps for proper bullet expansion like Matt suggests, I'm really curious on how much play they have there. We haven't used them on game past 1000 yards so I can't comment there. Draw your own conclusions...

There was a show recently that had a kill shot on a bull elk at 1300+ yards with a 7mm Rem Mag, but that's not a shot I personally would take with that gun!

Mike

Last edited:
Just got Shooter. I was wondering if I can change the zero from 100 yards to 200 yards on the table. One other question, when looking at the table what is the colored area in the velocity column mean. Looks like a reminder for when the bullet goes sub sonic and looses stability?

Just got Shooter. I was wondering if I can change the zero from 100 yards to 200 yards on the table. One other question, when looking at the table what is the colored area in the velocity column mean. Looks like a reminder for when the bullet goes sub sonic and looses stability?

Change your zero in the "edit" feature for that load.

Yes, the red velocity square is your supersonic range limit.