What is the best Ballistic Calculator for iPhone?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would like to download an app so I can input atmospheric data, exact range, and get the bullet drop I need to dial (MOA). Any suggestions?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Darin I have both Bullet Flight and Ballistic AE, both work, but I like Bullet Flight the best. Just a little more tweaking can be done.

I have a free one called BulletDrop, but all it has is Bullet Weight, Ballistic Coeficient, Muzzle Velocity, Sight Height, Zero Range, wind speed and wind angle. The version I have does not have a atmospheric data or shooting elevation.

Whisky

WKR
Bullet Flight gets pretty good feedback, although I've never used it, or Ballistic AE......I do run Shooter on my Droid, and I have no complaints with that program at all. They did start offering it for Iphone as well.....Well, I shouldn't say no complaints....I run a Kestrel with Bluetooth which automatically synchs up with Shooter on my phone, and inputs all the atmospheric data. Rarely does it sync up quickly. But once it's synched, the solutions are very accurate.

http://www.shooterapp.net/

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kestrel?

Bullet Flight gets pretty good feedback, although I've never used it, or Ballistic AE......I do run Shooter on my Droid, and I have no complaints with that program at all. They did start offering it for Iphone as well.....Well, I shouldn't say no complaints....I run a Kestrel with Bluetooth which automatically synchs up with Shooter on my phone, and inputs all the atmospheric data. Rarely does it sync up quickly. But once it's synched, the solutions are very accurate.

http://www.shooterapp.net/
That's a cool feature for calculating windage! Does the Kestrel measure wind angle or do you have to provide that input? Thanks! -Coop

*EDIT* Whisky beat me to it. :)

Bar none the best I've used is "Shooter" By SeanKndy. $9.99 but it is NICE. Has a feature to get the shot angle using your phones level sensors, can store infinite amounts of gun "profiles" and has a bullet library with 1000's of different bullets logged that automatically enters the BC using either G1 or G7 BC's, bullet length, weight...etc can also bluetooth link it if you have a bluetooth enabled Kestrel to auto input weather conditions and it's opensourced so it's constantly updating for free. Give it a look...

Mike

Whisky

WKR
That's a cool feature for calculating windage! Does the Kestrel measure wind angle or do you have to provide that input? Thanks! -Coop

Depending on the money you spend, a Kestrel can measure much more than wind, which all influence trajectory. DA (density altitude) is the big thing nowadays that people are using quite a bit in their solutions. You basically need a temp and pressure reading for that (which the Kestrel will measure), and Shooter will automatically figure out your DA for you (if you have it set up to do so), if you don't want to spend the money on a model that measures DA. They are pretty valuable IMO. Before I got the Kestrel I had Shooter set up to pull data from a weather station via the internet on my phone. There were many times where it pulled in a 10mph W wind for example, but it was closer to a 6mph N wind....They aren't very "real time".

But to answer your question, no it doesn't figure out wind angle. Wind angle and range are the only two things I input into Shooter manually. Wind angle is easy enough to figure out. Just have some windicator handy, or a handful of grass, stand by your rifle facing the target, toss in the air and guesstimate the angle. Or use flags.. With Shooter you can set it up for degrees, or as a clock. A 90* wind would either be 9 oclock or 3, depending on direction...It's pretty easy once you do it a few times..

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Installed Shooter today - looking forward to trying it out. Better get the Kestrel ordered too...

Coop

wapitibob

WKR
I used eweather HD for atmospheric data and Strelok for ballistics last year. I'm dropping the ballistics and going to range/dial/shoot.

Whisky

WKR
Another cool thing with Shooter is you can manage your profiles online, and it will make the changes to the program on your phone, and vice versa. It's nice to have a backup place for all your rifle profiles, ammo profiles etc in case you have to re-format your phone....

*EDIT* Whisky beat me to it. :)

Bar none the best I've used is "Shooter" By SeanKndy. $9.99 but it is NICE. Has a feature to get the shot angle using your phones level sensors, can store infinite amounts of gun "profiles" and has a bullet library with 1000's of different bullets logged that automatically enters the BC using either G1 or G7 BC's, bullet length, weight...etc can also bluetooth link it if you have a bluetooth enabled Kestrel to auto input weather conditions and it's opensourced so it's constantly updating for free. Give it a look...

Mike

Another bonus to it is a lot of the stored bullet data uses Litz's data, which is a hell of a lot more accurate than manufacturer advertised ballistic coefficients.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Shooter is working like a champ... I killed my target 1st shot last weekend at one thousand and twenty yards. It's farther if you spell it out. Dialed up 20.5 MOA and letter rip! 2 1/4" low. Had I held the other 0.2 MOA it said I needed, elevation would have been SPOT ON!