What is the best scope on the market?

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
In your opinion, what is the best rifle scope on the market? Price not an issue. Is it a swaro or some other euro brand? All my rifles have leupold VX-6 scopes which I know are pretty good but I’m curious what’s considered the best you can get? Somewhere in the 3-18 power range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Define “best scope”. What’s your intended purpose? Tangent Theta is the “alpha male”. Zero Compromise isn’t too far behind along with March, Hensholdt, Schmitt and Bender to name a few. But Tangent Theta is typically the one most talked about or used as the standard to compare other scopes to.

Zappaman

WKR
The best is the one I can afford that makes the shot I need to make ;)

My favorite scope is a Weaver 30mm 4-16 x 44 that ran about $250 new. Old Japanese Weavers (and Nitrex) and Nikon Monarchs sit on most of my rifles which are hunting guns (elk to sage rats). They are lighter scopes compared to a lot of long-range "dialers" which get over 20 oz.'s. For hunting, I very much appreciate lighter weight guns and these old scopes help keep the weight down.

If my freezer is full (and it is again after this year with four deer put up as of yesterday)... at the end of the hunt, the scope (and everything else) did it's job. As I'm not a bench rest (or extra long range "dialing") type, I find my scopes are not multi-thousand dollar jobs.

But some here use these amazing scopes mentioned... and I'm sure I'd enjoy having such amazing glass. But I don't need it and I'm very happy with what I have.

PRC_GUY

WKR
I am with you about Leupold VX6, 4-24-62, that’s scope is light weight, 34 mm tube , target practice shooting and hunting is perfect and no issue with it at all.

mi650

WKR
Too broad a question. Best for what?

For big game hunting, probably Swarovski Z8i. Tactical/target/long range, probably TT. Small game/squirrel 50ish yards, IDK, Z6 maybe?

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Lots of good options out there, but we list the Swarovski Z8i as our favorite for big game.

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Too broad a question. Best for what?

For big game hunting, probably Swarovski Z8i. Tactical/target/long range, probably TT. Small game/squirrel 50ish yards, IDK, Z6 maybe?

Yes I realized it was way to broad of question. I am buying a wood stock sako 85 rifle in 270, the fancy one that’s like $2,200. I want this to be a generational rifle that when I die my son uses and one day his son (hopefully he has one) uses. That’s why I don’t want to skimp on the optic. I think some of the suggestions here are more long range tactical style scopes.

mi650

WKR
Yes I realized it was way to broad of question. I am buying a wood stock sako 85 rifle in 270, the fancy one that’s like $2,200. I want this to be a generational rifle that when I die my son uses and one day his son (hopefully he has one) uses. That’s why I don’t want to skimp on the optic. I think some of the suggestions here are more long range tactical style scopes.

Ah, then the Z8i 3.5-28,x50 with your preferred flavor of reticle.

For a hunting rifle, Z8i 2-16x50 if you live in a woodsy area, 3.5-28x50 if you're in more open country shooting smaller targets (think Coues).

Tan Theta, Kahles, S&B, ZCO are where I'd look for a PRS/Tactical long range dialing scope.

rootacres

WKR
The Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is a pretty awesome optic. I don't have experience with the optics above that price point. Im sure they are great but also heavy.

Dcrafton

WKR
I have both. ZCO hangs right there. At that point it’s really about features/reticles.

9174b40066753f5b703235293e084973.jpg

Punkur67

FNG
Best bang for the buck in Teir 1 glass is the ZCO. I absolutely love mine and would replace every scope I own with one if I could afford it

OMB

WKR
It depends if you care that this “best” scope actually holds zero or not.
according to this site/24 hr campfire, the only scope that holds zero is either a $400 SWFA from the Philippines or a 4 pound Nightforce with a Christmas tree reticle. Oh, make sure to lap your rings, and bed your bases, and rip your gun apart and re-bed it because it's definitely not the shooter's fault for .75 MOA groups.