What is the ideal cartridge, barrel length, and suppressor length?

The barrel is a #5 taper so there is weight is there. Nice to have a 5/8-24 thread so you can use a direct thread suppressor.

When I was in the market, I believe the SPs I measured had just under a .100” shoulder. Something to consider when most suppressor companies recommend a min .100” shoulder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
I am in the process of building a 20" 300 WSM off a tikka action. I have everything I need minus a Manners EH1 I ordered at the end of July. I will shoot a Omega 300 with Berger 200.20X's out of this. In my opinion this will be a perfect rifle for both elk and deer. If you have any question's of weights of the different parts I have.

z987k

WKR
Haha. Im not here to convince anyone to buy a B14 SP, but in this conversation of having rifles made for a suppressor, I thought it was worth mentioning as an out of the box option. Probably also worth noting that the Fieldcraft costs 2.5X as much. I have had Forbes and Fieldcrafts, they are cool, but not everyone has an issue carrying an 8-9# rifle.....some even prefer it.
I like 10lb rifles to. On the bench.
I mean ya, if you're hunting off a 4 wheeler or in a stand/blind, sure. But then I don't think I'd really care how long it was at that point either.
Hauling around on my back, I'm not a fan of boat anchors or super long guns that get caught up in the alders.

z987k

WKR
We haven't really seen yet, but I honestly think that a light folding chassis with a 16" barrel and that 277 fury from sig that can push a bullet big enough and fast enough out of the 16 inches for almost anything will be the ultimate pack-able rifle/cartridge combo for suppressors.
Barring that, a purpose built rifle with an integral suppressor. I'm strongly considering that in 338rcm something like 12-14in barrel length integral suppressor making it 18. 338 only because the fatter the round the better it does with the short barrel and powder efficiency. Gunwerks did that awhile back, but the $10k or so they were asking was completely nuts.

We haven't really seen yet, but I honestly think that a light folding chassis with a 16" barrel and that 277 fury from sig that can push a bullet big enough and fast enough out of the 16 inches for almost anything will be the ultimate pack-able rifle/cartridge combo for suppressors.
Barring that, a purpose built rifle with an integral suppressor. I'm strongly considering that in 338rcm something like 12-14in barrel length integral suppressor making it 18. 338 only because the fatter the round the better it does with the short barrel and powder efficiency. Gunwerks did that awhile back, but the $10k or so they were asking was completely nuts.
That gun would be sweet! You could look at the black collar arms integrally suppressed SBD in 375 raptor if you want a shorty. Its a little over 16" total barrel length so its a one stamp rifle. I just ordered one recently, they're like $3800-4200 depending on how you configure. I also talked to suppressed weapon systems and they quoted me $4850 for for a bighorn origin 300 prc, 24" total barrel length integrally suppressed sitting in an xlr magnesium folding chassis. I think actual barrel length was 18 or 20. Was very tough deciding between the 2 for me, id still the 300 prc from them someday too lol but i wanted the super short one first and i already have a 6.5 prc in an xlr for long range.

So you could probably have suppressed weapon systems build you that exact integrally suppressed 338 for half the cost of that gunwerks even if you upgraded to a defiance action, which they said was just $500 more i think. Id give em a call, they were very responsive and helpful, but it was like a 10 month lead time on the their builds vs 6-8 month for the SBD plus the black collar had a 0% interest payment plan option, which factored into my decision for sure, since my wife and i literally just moved into the home we built

z987k

WKR
That gun would be sweet! You could look at the black collar arms integrally suppressed SBD in 375 raptor if you want a shorty. Its a little over 16" total barrel length so its a one stamp rifle. I just ordered one recently, they're like $3800-4200 depending on how you configure. I also talked to suppressed weapon systems and they quoted me $4850 for for a bighorn origin 300 prc, 24" total barrel length integrally suppressed sitting in an xlr magnesium folding chassis. I think actual barrel length was 18 or 20. Was very tough deciding between the 2 for me, id still the 300 prc from them someday too lol but i wanted the super short one first and i already have a 6.5 prc in an xlr for long range.

So you could probably have suppressed weapon systems build you that exact integrally suppressed 338 for half the cost of that gunwerks even if you upgraded to a defiance action, which they said was just $500 more i think. Id give em a call, they were very responsive and helpful, but it was like a 10 month lead time on the their builds vs 6-8 month for the SBD plus the black collar had a 0% interest payment plan option, which factored into my decision for sure, since my wife and i literally just moved into the home we built
I actually did talk to suppressed weapons and pheonix was the other company. They all had 6 inches past the end of the "barrel" for the integrally suppressed. Which more or less defeats my purpose of doing an integral. I'd save a whole inch over any of my screw-on suppressors. Not worth the 3-4k.

I actually did talk to suppressed weapons and pheonix was the other company. They all had 6 inches past the end of the "barrel" for the integrally suppressed. Which more or less defeats my purpose of doing an integral. I'd save a whole inch over any of my screw-on suppressors. Not worth the 3-4k.
Yep thats one of the main reasons i went with the SBD instead, its a 16" barrel total and in the demo video it was crazy quiet. SWS told me their 375 raptor would basically end up being longer, with a 20-22" finished barrel. I was torn cause with an integral you get better suppression and a more balanced rifle but not being able to use the suppressor on other guns kinda sucks. Not a big deal to me since i don't have too many rifles. You could email black collar arms about it, i know they were planning to make other calibers in the SBD and they at least talked about selling custom integrally suppressed barrels at one point. I did ask them if they were planning to make any longer barreled versions or if they would be willing to make me an SBD with a 20" overall length barrel but they said no cause the velocity gains were so minimal in 375 raptor. After looking at the numbers i found myself agreeing with them and placed an order lol

z987k

WKR
Yep thats one of the main reasons i went with the SBD instead, its a 16" barrel total and in the demo video it was crazy quiet. SWS told me their 375 raptor would basically end up being longer, with a 20-22" finished barrel. I was torn cause with an integral you get better suppression and a more balanced rifle but not being able to use the suppressor on other guns kinda sucks. Not a big deal to me since i don't have too many rifles. You could email black collar arms about it, i know they were planning to make other calibers in the SBD and they at least talked about selling custom integrally suppressed barrels at one point. I did ask them if they were planning to make any longer barreled versions or if they would be willing to make me an SBD with a 20" overall length barrel but they said no cause the velocity gains were so minimal in 375 raptor. After looking at the numbers i found myself agreeing with them and placed an order lol
The 375 raptor just doesn't do what I needed the 338 I'm having built does. I did look at it as an option.

I have a 18" FC in 308 with a Rugged radiant can. I am very happy with this setup, balance is perfect with the 7" can and I like being able to spot my impacts thru the scope.

z987k

WKR
Oh i meant you could ask them about doing a 338 intregral barrel maybe, wasnt trying to push the raptor on ya
Ya, I did. With their min barrel length restrictions it just didn't make sense. Maybe you could do it in at 338 Fed, but that doesn't have the performance I wanted.

I have a feeling the 277 Fury will never actually be released by sig.

Ya, I did. With their min barrel length restrictions it just didn't make sense. Maybe you could do it in at 338 Fed, but that doesn't have the performance I wanted.

I have a feeling the 277 Fury will never actually be released by sig.
I was talking about asking black collar arms not SWS in my previous post lol, sorry i didn't clarify, sounds like you might have a plan in motion anyway. Good luck with the build!

kbone

FNG
I'm wondering the same thing. Thinking about buying or building something with elk as the primary focus. I have been partial to the .30 calibers so I am leaning toward a .300WSM in a 20-22 inch barrel.

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
It seems 7saum is becoming the most popular for short barreled hunters. High BC bullets without the recoil of the .30

Forest

WKR
I'm wondering the same thing. Thinking about buying or building something with elk as the primary focus. I have been partial to the .30 calibers so I am leaning toward a .300WSM in a 20-22 inch barrel.
I went back and forth for a long time between the 300wsm and 7saum. Have always been partial to the 30cal as well, but ultimately the saum won out for me. I'm not only building a short lightweight hunting rig but also a long range target gun. So similar ballistics with a fair bit less recoil resulted in the saum being my choice.

The 300wsm is a fine choice tho, and very versatile. Factory ammo off the shelf is a big selling point for some folks as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Where is everybody finding brass For the 7 saum? I want one too but I’m not going to start a build with no supply chain oF brass.

Where is everybody finding brass For the 7 saum? I want one too but I’m not going to start a build with no supply chain oF brass.
I think we need to spread the word to go request Starline make 7 SAUM brass. They have been great in other calibers for me and would be sweet to see them meet the demand.

Why not just go 7-300wsm?
It's a stupid simple neck down with the more available 300 wsm brass, and doesn't require custom dies.
I really love the straight 7 wsm but have to admit brass is a B$#@!

Forest

WKR
ADG has ran 7 saum multiple times over the last two years. Get on some distributors lists
Ya I agree, getting saum brass honestly wasn't that hard with some planning. Sure you can't just go to a store and buy some but it's made fairly consistently. Find a good distributor that'll let you prebuy and problem solved!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk