What is the lightest, lowest profile pic rail available for a Kimber 8400m?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m looking to change the scope mounting setup on my Kimber 8400m 300 win mag. Right now it seems the options are sort of limited in that there really isn’t much other than talley stuff available. Leupold dosent even offer the dual dovetail for this rifle, just those ones with the shady rear windage screws and I don’t want that.

Are there any nice, super light low profile rails out there???

If you were setting up this rifle and wanted more robust scope mounting than talley light weights, what would you use?

Thanks and any pics and advice are very much appreciated!!!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Looks like Murphy Precison makes titanium rails for the kimber. Got one of their rails on another rifle, really nice machine work.

I came across those, they do look pretty nice. So far that is sort of a leader. I’m also considering just getting talleys steel bases and rings.

I came across those, they do look pretty nice. So far that is sort of a leader. I’m also considering just getting talleys steel bases and rings.
Those are also a good option. Personally I try to avoid pic rails at all costs as they tend to raise the scope too much for my taste.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Those are also a good option. Personally I try to avoid pic rails at all costs as they tend to raise the scope too much for my taste.
I'm with you on that one, the only reason I'm considering a rail is because there just aren't all that many options unless theres something I'm not seeing. Like I said, there are no dual dovetails for this rifle.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had a Nightforce rail for my 8400 WSM. You might look there but Don’t know if they make one for the 8400 LA though?

I’ll check it out, if I do go the rail/ring route I’d get the nightforce ultra light low rings for sure.

I'm with you on that one, the only reason I'm considering a rail is because there just aren't all that many options unless theres something I'm not seeing. Like I said, there are no dual dovetails for this rifle.
Is there any issue with Talley lightweights? If you go the pic rail route, APA makes some of the lowest rings available, .750 if I remember right. Think the NF lows are .885.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Is there any issue with Talley lightweights? If you go the pic rail route, APA makes some of the lowest rings available, .750 if I remember right. Think the NF lows are .885.

I’ve not had any issues with the talley lightweights, just reading about how some people have issues with them cracking. That would really ruin a hunt.

Devilfish

FNG
I just received an EGW 0 MOA rail for my Vanguard Wilderness. USA made and I'm really impressed with the craftsmanship. I don't know if they make one for the Kimber though.

OMB

WKR
I’ve not had any issues with the talley lightweights, just reading about how some people have issues with them cracking. That would really ruin a hunt.
I've seen the pictures in that thread from another forum and I'm halfway feeling the same way, but also, Kimbers aren't supposed to supposed hit the side of a barn from the inside and lightweight Swaro/Leupolds can't hold zero and everyone who's serious runs a 32 ounce Nightforce or a $600 SWFA with turrets sticking up to the moon.

At this point I'm a year out from the NWT, I'm going to stick with what works because there's probably a better chance I break an ankle training.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've seen the pictures in that thread from another forum and I'm halfway feeling the same way, but also, Kimbers aren't supposed to supposed hit the side of a barn from the inside and lightweight Swaro/Leupolds can't hold zero and everyone who's serious runs a 32 ounce Nightforce or a $600 SWFA with turrets sticking up to the moon.

At this point I'm a year out from the NWT, I'm going to stick with what works because there's probably a better chance I break an ankle training.

I hear that lol. So far my kimbers all shoot. Im going with the talleys I have for sheep and moose this year but I was thinking after hunting season I’d put a more serious scope and mounts on the gun.

mmac

WKR
I run the Talley's on 7-8 rifles. I can't imagine something that would crack them unless some odd defect. Both my Kimbers have them.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Kimber rifles will flat shoot. Might have to tweak the mag box or other minor mods but I wouldn’t hesitate.
Talley LW’s break when you treat them like Stick does. Other guys who are serious about their gear use them with no issues.

Like spray painting rifles and tossing them in rivers. That guy is something else lol. I’ve actually seen him in person before. I didn’t want to talk to him though.

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
The rifle pictured is a 280AI Kimber 84L with Talley 20moa pic rail and TPS super low 30mm rings. Be aware that you will need to clearance the rail so loading/unloading will be easier. It's a PITA with the rail as it covers most of the loading port and I can only manage to load one cartridge into the blind magazine. I never tried to fire and extract the spent brass, but I don't think it will eject with the reduced opening

Attachments

• 20210806_132039.jpg
    20210806_132039.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 24

WRM

WKR
Murphy rail. He made the rail for my Mountain Ascent off my measurement because he did not have that action yet. It was spot on. I bought a second for another Kimber. He does great work.

Used Nightforce rings on the Mountain Ascent.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Murphy rail. He made the rail for my Mountain Ascent off my measurement because he did not have that action yet. It was spot on. I bought a second for another Kimber. He does great work.

Used Nightforce rings on the Mountain Ascent.
Thats probably about as good as it gets.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The rifle pictured is a 280AI Kimber 84L with Talley 20moa pic rail and TPS super low 30mm rings. Be aware that you will need to clearance the rail so loading/unloading will be easier. It's a PITA with the rail as it covers most of the loading port and I can only manage to load one cartridge into the blind magazine. I never tried to fire and extract the spent brass, but I don't think it will eject with the reduced opening
How did you get rid of the extra material there?