What is the lightest, lowest profile pic rail available for a Kimber 8400m?

tdot

WKR
Farrel Industries makes a pic rail for several Kimber models and the lowest rings I found. Their stuff was very nice for the Cooper I had, but no personal experience with the Kimber parts as I sold my rifle, instead of changing it.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Two piece weaver style bases and burris signature rings will get you more cant than you need lower than anything else. I have an 8400wsm with a 20moa rail i cut in the mill and hawkins lows that will be getting switched to the mentioned system.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Talley's on 7-8 rifles. I can't imagine something that would crack them unless some odd defect. Both my Kimbers have them.
I had Talleys on 7 or 10 rifles. Now I am down to zero sets of lightweights.
I am pretty gentle on my stuff relatively speaking (compared to Stick any way, lol) and I have personally had 3 sets break, and was there when a set broke a couple weeks ago.

I had one set on a 300 Ultra that was perfect when I took them off.
I had a set crack after riding on the back seat of my pickup between the house and the range on my Montana 223AI

The set a couple weeks ago, was during a Stone sheep hunt on my hunting partners new Defiance 7/08AI. 600km drive, and 20km backpack.
I watched him mount the glass and torque the rings as per spec this spring. Mentioned at the time that you don’t often hear about steel rings and bases cracking and got back “I’ve never had a problem, and these look good”.
Rifle was carried in a kifaru gun bearer on the way in, and we got into camp and he took the rifle out and he put it down leaned against a rock (lightly, so he didn’t scratch the ceracoat lol) and I heard a “ping” sound. Took my pack off and picked up his rifle, and the front Talley was split lengthwise.
Pointed out to him that if we were Americans and not BC residents that Talleys could have been a $50 000 mistake.

By all means, use what makes you happy, but be aware that there are more reliable options available.

Attachments

• 4B1B4F53-1B5A-4EB3-8D1E-F8B9F8D46A09.jpeg
    4B1B4F53-1B5A-4EB3-8D1E-F8B9F8D46A09.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 10

Wrench

WKR
I had Talleys on 7 or 10 rifles. Now I am down to zero sets of lightweights.
I am pretty gentle on my stuff relatively speaking (compared to Stick any way, lol) and I have personally had 3 sets break, and was there when a set broke a couple weeks ago.

I had one set on a 300 Ultra that was perfect when I took them off.
I had a set crack after riding on the back seat of my pickup between the house and the range on my Montana 223AI

The set a couple weeks ago, was during a Stone sheep hunt on my hunting partners new Defiance 7/08AI. 600km drive, and 20km backpack.
I watched him mount the glass and torque the rings as per spec this spring. Mentioned at the time that you don’t often hear about steel rings and bases cracking and got back “I’ve never had a problem, and these look good”.
Rifle was carried in a kifaru gun bearer on the way in, and we got into camp and he took the rifle out and he put it down leaned against a rock (lightly, so he didn’t scratch the ceracoat lol) and I heard a “ping” sound. Took my pack off and picked up his rifle, and the front Talley was split lengthwise.
Pointed out to him that if we were Americans and not BC residents that Talleys could have been a $50 000 mistake.

By all means, use what makes you happy, but be aware that there are more reliable options available.

Been there myself....rings, not sheep. It was disappointing enough on a blown range trip, i can't imagine the interesting combination of taboo words that should have been spoken.