What is the lightest & warmest jacket for backpacking

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
What is the lightest jacket with greatest amount of warmth for early fall backpack mountain hunting (Aug-late Sept.)? Will have rain jacket, so weather proofing not too important.

Looking at jackets like First Lite's Brooks Down Sweater for example.

In camo is probably the Kuiu superdown ultra. There are non camo backpacking brands that will be similar weight.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Imo it’s the new stone glacier jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are multiple of choices in +/- 12oz wieght with +/- 5 oz of down including the kuiu pro and SKRE ptarmigan.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Mountain Hardwear Ghostwhisperer 2.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
All good examples and choices. One thing to consider is if you wish to have a hood or not. I seem to have 3 choices myself, and none of them have a hood. Wish at least one did.

Super down ultra is 8oz with the hood. It’s not as warm as heavier jackets, but early season it should be plenty and you can throw over your rain jacket for extra warmth if needed. That would be the “lightest” option. Personally I am taking the pro (13oz) backpacking late September in a very windy area above 10k feet with lots of sitting and glassing. But lightest possible is definitely Kuiu from a hunting brand.

I’ve had the KUIU hooded Super Down jacket and zip off pants since they first came out. They are two items that never come out of the pack on mountain hunts unless I am wearing them. Great, compact and warm gear. Worn a lot in Northern BC, the NWT and Nunavut. I like the hood....a lot of extra protection for very minimal weight gain. Not in the way if not being used. Good luck!

I have Kuiu’s super down. It’s a great performing jacket, but quality is definitely lacking. The “feathers” are coming out of mine. I say “feathers”, because it is not a very high quality or clean down. Some of the stitching is failing, i’ve made a couple small repairs. A buddy of mine found a down jacket with hood at Burlington Coat factory that I swear is identical to the Kuiu other than color. He paid $70.

On my list is to get a new jacket from either Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. They are expensive, so it won’t be this season.

A down jacket with hood is an essential piece of gear in my opinion. You should always have a down jacket in your pack.

ChrisAU

WKR
Stone Glacier Grumman...the color grows on you and works fine in the mountains. More fill than the Kuiu Pro at a lower weight.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased the Montbell mirage because it’s in their outlet store right now. It has 900FP down with 5.6 ounces of total fill. At 13 ounces this thing will be a furnace for it’s weight.

I’m a bit of a puffy snob because I run cold. I own a FL uncompahgre (disappointing imo) uncompahgre vest (very versatile) my go to synthetic kelvin lite hoody, a LPP that is too bulky and loud for practical use imo, FL chamberlin, and imo the warmest puffy around the Montbell permafrost.

I can compare all of those as soon as i draw a tag in colder climates. I’m thinking the mirage or kelvin lite + vest will be my early to mid season puffy. And the chamberlin or permafrost when i just say F this I’m not going to be cold this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlaw99

WKR
Stone Glacier Grumman...the color grows on you and works fine in the mountains. More fill than the Kuiu Pro at a lower weight.

Tell me your experiences with the SG on the mountain, I’m curious about it

ChrisAU

WKR
Tell me your experiences with the SG on the mountain, I’m curious about it

I was just speculating on the color in the mountains that everyone dogs it for, not the jacket. I only wear a puffy for glassing, I don’t have any qualms taking the Grumman in a few weeks comparing it to other Sitka, Kuiu, and FL puffies I’ve had.

TheCougar

WKR
Mtn Hardware Ghost Whisperer (800 down, 9oz) or Arc’teryx Cerium LT (850 down 10oz). Both can be found on sale and are the best combination of weight and warmth.