What is the mora of folding knives?

Blaw

WKR
Mora knives are great value. I'm looking for the mora of folding knives. Used for skinning,gutting,quartering game such as deer and elk.

I've used a havalon to do an entire elk so don't start telling me you need a massive peice of metal please. I'd just like to get away from replaceble blades and find great value

Wrench

WKR
The Helle dokka is a good sized folder with legendary Helle laminated blade.

I personally have slid my Swiss army hunter through about 20 elk now and it's THE perfect tool for me. Swiss army sharp with a saw exactly like a Leatherman only longer, the hide knife cuts from below the skin to all but eliminate hair in meat......and tweezers and toothpick of course.

The blade locks and is narrow enough to make easy work of detail cuts. The newer xt hunter appears to have larger blades....which don't appeal to me.

Fwiw, I have a lot of very nice, very expensive knives and this one is the one I always take.

If I carry another it's typically the Dokka or a 110 titanium.....but just for sentimental reasons.

rclouse79

WKR
I tried the outdoor edge replaceable blade knife on my antelope. Even though I like how the blades load and release I don’t feel like it kept and edge near as well as the havalon. I will be going back to the havalon. I might actually buy a new one. I feel like my old one had gotten harder and harder to remove the blades. It was almost impossible when it was covered in bear grease.

I personally have slid my Swiss army hunter through about 20 elk now and it's THE perfect tool for me. Swiss army sharp with a saw exactly like a Leatherman only longer, the hide knife cuts from below the skin to all but eliminate hair in meat......and tweezers and toothpick of course.

The blade locks and is narrow enough to make easy work of detail cuts. The newer xt hunter appears to have larger blades....which don't appeal to me.

Fwiw, I have a lot of very nice, very expensive knives and this one is the one I always take.

If I carry another it's typically the Dokka or a 110 titanium.....but just for sentimental reasons.
I like it! Perfect for opening that celebratory post-kill bottle of vino..... :p

robtattoo

WKR
Opinel.
Number 6 if you prefer a small knife, number 8 if you like a little more.
Cheap, reliable, super easy to sharpen. Just an all around great workhorse of a knife, that doesn't weigh a ton.

You won't find closer to Mora in terms of value.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
After messing with folding knives a few years, I am firmly in the Mora boat for hunting. I hate cleaning all the hair and fat that accumulates in the hinge and in the recesses of folding knives, and I always seem to get rust in places I can't reach.

For every-day carry, I use either Victorinox or Opinel knives. Both are affordable, easy to keep sharp, and I don't cry too much if I lose one.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys use Opinels to process game? I've found them a little too delicate for heavy use, and the birch handle gets way too slick when bloody. Works fine for small game and fish though.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I thought the Opinels might come up. I don't know much about them. But if they had one that was not a wood handle I might be more interested, anything like that? Some great suggestions so far.

lighter weight is always nice as I am walking everywhere

EDIT* just saw they do have some without wood handles but much more expensive. The wood ones are cheap!

Voyageur

WKR

I second the Swiss Army Hunter

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
Esee Izula, easy to sharpen, holds a wicked edge stays sharp year long with a touch up here and there. Good enough for deer...elk?

oops forgot to add, its not a folder but not much bigger than a folder. As other have stated gunk and what not gets in the locking design. I dont mind doing a bit of maintenance to my gear but prefer a fixed design.

The Tri-ad Lock from Coldsteel is a locking design i would take as a hunting folder, if i were to use one!

Last edited:

ShakeDown

WKR
Lots of great value folders made now.

I would strongly reccommend a locking design, preferably one that allows for one handed and gloved deployment and operation. Unless the before mentioned Case Trapper is a Trapperlock, it is a slipjoint folder. A locking blade lessens the worry about a blade closing on your hand.

Around $30ish I’d look at the Spyderco Tenacious or the 440 Buck Vantage.

Personally, my favorite backcountry folder is the Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight or the Benchmade Bugout. But both are more expensive.

GPool1842

WKR
Do you guys use Opinels to process game? I've found them a little too delicate for heavy use, and the birch handle gets way too slick when bloody. Works fine for small game and fish though.

yes, have used a No 8 for multiple deer and hogs.

curt514

FNG
I carry the Benchmade Bugout now, but the Ontario Rat 2 is a great carry option. They can be found for around $30. The big thing about a Mora is the Scandinavian edge. That is really what helps it cut like it does. If you want a scandi edge I would recommend something from Tops. USA made and very good. But you are running the same or more as the Benchmade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcdinaz

FNG
I like Benchmade knives, that being said Havalon Shockey with a regular folding drop point blade and a Havalons folding on the other end is my must carry now (along with a Kestrel). For the price, I am not sure how you could beat it?

gexpro

WKR
opinel explore no.12 looks like a really solid choice. even has a gut hook, and ferro rod.. hell.. for 49 bucks that's pretty hard to pass up, considering the good reputation opinel has.

I carry - Kestrel Titanium EDC for fixed blade on my Bino harness & Kestrel mountain scalpel around my neck.
I went kestrel because they are US made, and a local small business in my area.