what is the most weight you have lost (body weight) on a backcountry trip?

boom

WKR
me? 14 lbs in 9 days. my pants were goofy looking...cinched up tight like a begger man, with stolen pants. hard fishing trip into the sierras. 20 miles in and it took 30 miles out.

my wife was stunned when i got home.

you? my brother lost 19 on the same trip. sucks cus he was already skinny. he just got abs. i am far from abs. :(

so weight lost, how many days? what kinda trip?

Lukem

WKR
I'm too lean to start with, I hardly lose anything on a hunt.

In the opposite direction, during college I once gained 14# over Thanksgiving. I was running XC at the time and had a week off where I did nothing but eat. Dropped it all in about a week once I started running again.

Craig4791

WKR
My body weight doesn't fluctuate more than 5lbs either way no matter what I do!! Hard gainer metabolism.

Jdog

WKR
this was the first year I lost any considerable weight on a backpack hunt.

We did almost 60 miles in Alaska on a sheep hunt and did lots of miles every day trying to locate sheep.

I lost around 15 lbs...of which I don't have to lose being a skinny dude. Started the hunt around 233-235 and ended right under 220.

It took a couple months but I almost have it all back.

Jon Boy

WKR
I went from 145 to 133 in the month of september and part of October. I came home for some of mommas cooking the last 3 weeks and have gained 15 pounds....and I still dont weigh 150!

gelton

WKR
15 lbs in 12 days...altitude and lack of hunger + strenuous activity does it everytime. Backcountry boot camp. Already gained most of it back though.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
12lbs in 8 days. I eat around 2700 to 3500 calories normally took only 2700 per day on my trip. I looked like I was on crack when I got home! Lol

Buster

WKR
My worst was 11lbs in 4 days, sheep hunt in 30+ degree celsius weather. Couldn't get enough water in us in that heat.

My brother-in-law this year had a bad one. Another 4 day sheep marathon hike, lots of miles up and down. He came in heavy (new job truck driving), and was still determined to go all out. After 2 days he lost his appetite, and slowed on the hydrating too. Finally when I looked at him and could visibly see that he was a lot thinner, we pulled the pin. However, it was still a full day's hike out in the heat. He came out roughly 21 pounds lighter! (230 down to 209). He ended up being pretty sick for several days. Hindsight, my fault for pushing him too hard and not seeing his deteriorating condition soon enough.

KMT

WKR
I usually lose less than 5 pounds in a week long trip. I bring a lot of high calorie junk food though. (Trail mix, snickers, M&MS, etc). Plus I don't weigh that much at 165 pounds and 5'10".

I lost 12 lbs over 4 weekends last year. Started 164 lbs at 6', end of the hunt I was down to 150-152 at the end. Running a 3k+ calorie deficit 4 days a week for a month wasn't pretty... I looked like a POW survivor at the end.

Mike