What is the right tracking collar for me?

Joe5000

FNG
I want to get a tracking collar for my new dog. We will be upland bird hunting, we will generally be in areas with cell service but not always.

At this point I want a collar for safety of the dog (knowing where it is). I care less about tracking metrics of the dog.

It would be nice if there was a correction feature but I guess can do without.

I would rather not pay for one of the expensive Garmin systems but can do it if needed.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Wassid82

WKR
I debated on which to get for my dog too. I intimately went with the garmin alpha. It was $$$ but I bought it on a sale and it has been so useful. I trained my own puppy and I soon realized I need to spend as much time training my wife and kids how to handle the dog so that he would boat them too. The correction options were great vibrate,sound,shock. That way my kiddos did accidentally ruin my dog and command scheme.

We have liked the Sport Dog II we got for the young Vizsla this fall. Location and training all in one and available in Canada. Garmin’s system wasn’t available up here due to frequency used or wattage or something. We bird hunt as well as exercising her in cover so really appreciate the tracking for piece of mind. We did get a ruffed grouse due to knowing where she was (on point) a week ago too.

I run Garmin. It works great. Friends run sport dog. It’s really coming down to a ford/Chevy argument but Garmin has more options. Regardless, buy a system that allows you to add multiple dogs. You never know. I think all the Garmin trackers now have that option.

work765

WKR
I use the 550 plus. It’s super simple, comes with correction and GPS. Had an issue with the hand held and Garmin sent me a new one next day delivery to rectify it.

I’ve been using mine for over 9 months and probably use it 3-4 times a week in the mountains. It works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3sdad

FNG
Another vote for the garmin pro 550 plus. I have the mini. It's a simple idea and works great. I did learn to keep the transmitter away from magnets. It will throw off the compass and show your dog in the opposite direction.

Forks

FNG
Garmin 550 Pro and Astro 320 here. IMO Garmin purchased the best training collar company (Tri Tronics) and has the best GPS. Combined it's pretty well thought out and they have the customer service down. The only reason I run a split system is during the off/training season the 550 is a proven/simple transmitter. Don't take this the wrong way but I sure wouldn't let $$ be the deciding factor of the system you choose. Not only has running multiple dogs become basically stress free, picture coming home and explaining a lost dog to the family not to mention the time ($$$$$) invested into your dog/dogs.