What is the Tikka of hunting bows

OR Archer

WKR
I dislike Bear. There’s better bows out there for the same price point. Hoyt Torrex series, PSE Drive NXT, PSE Embark. I’d take any of these over any of bears higher end bows.

Jimbob

WKR
Guns and bows are so different that it is hard to compare.

With bows, you can just buy high-end used and bam you have your midpriced bow.

OP
ramsdude47
I’m not knowledgeable enough to understand objective quality when it comes to bows, but that’s definitely my primary interest. I’m willing to spend more if it is for quality, but from everything I have read/heard the big 3 cost more primarily d/t marketing and reputation.

I will try to phrase this a different way, given the highly subjective nature of value. Take an MSRP $999 bow, from any brand. Is the Hoyt/Mathews/Bowtech objectively higher quality than the $999 Elite/Bear/the rest of the field?

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Once you get to every company's flagship model they're all pretty much equal in performance to me. Every model will out shoot you at that point so it's all personal preference. If you bought a $1000 Bear or $1800 carbon Hoyt it'd be a toss up to which one shot better for you.

dkime

WKR
I’m not knowledgeable enough to understand objective quality when it comes to bows, but that’s definitely my primary interest. I’m willing to spend more if it is for quality, but from everything I have read/heard the big 3 cost more primarily d/t marketing and reputation.

I will try to phrase this a different way, given the highly subjective nature of value. Take an MSRP $999 bow, from any brand. Is the Hoyt/Mathews/Bowtech objectively higher quality than the $999 Elite/Bear/the rest of the field?

Absolutely not

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's not about "being much better"........it's about being "the best fit for you". I've always said that if only one bow existed in the world, I could shoot it, and I could shoot it pretty well eventually........even if it was a 27" draw bow (I'm almost 33"). However, there are bow characteristics that do fit me better and will allow me to be a better shooter. It's all about feel and the ability to consistently hold the bow, anchor the bow, and keep the pin on target. Some folks like a long valley, some like a short valley, some like a thin grip, some thick grip, smooth draw, turbo hump, etc, etc, etc. Like said above, once you get into the flagship bows........they're all good. But finding one that fits you and your preferences is the key. That takes some work.

Agree. Interesting thread.

I am relatively new to bow hunting. Have bought two “flagship” Hoyt bows a carbon spyder turbo and a pro defiant 34. If I knew then what I know now, I would have started with a solid tier two bow and shot and hunted that for 2-3 years. That spyder turbo was jumpy and finicky about tuning and activating the rest correctly. Part of that was my bowshop‘s fault But it was also because the bow was just so close to the performance edge at that time that it wasn’t a set it up and forget it kind of rig. I spent a lot of time my first two years basically being distracted by tuning and set up issues. My 34 was a chance to fix that problem and although I still won and shoot the turbo as a back up, it was definitely the wrong choice for my first bow And wouldn’t be my choice for a care free, reliable shooter even now.

Fatcamp

WKR
I bought a used Energy 32 and couldn't be happier, but I could have said the same thing about 50 other bows. Just like rifles it is waaaay over thought.

Craftsman>Tool

406unltd

WKR
Expedition I’d say. Better than average bows and tikka is better a than average rifle

STAxel

FNG
Bows don’t get discussed quite as much as rifles on here. It’s pretty hard (impossible even?) to find any questions about rifle recommendations that don’t get lots of Tikka replies. It’s an understandable response, especially given sales pricing in years past - Tikka unquestionably gives a lot of bang for your buck.

What is (are) the hunting bow equivalent(s)? Light, relatively cheap, reliable, smooth, quiet.

I understand both rifles and bows have a very personal element, but it’s pretty clear Tikkas are a great value at their price point. Surely the same kind of value exists in the world of bows.
What did you ultimately decide on?

kaboku68

WKR
I am going to go a bit of a different direction. Bears are great. I have an Anarchy dual cam that is dead nuts accurate but to me, PRIME is the TIKKA of bows. They just shoot flat accurately. No fuss just nail driving accuracy. I haven't had a mathews but I have had Bowtech, Diamond, Hoyt, Elite, Bear and Prime and the Prime Rival is a super accurate bow. You can find last years model at an economic savings. I have heard of Bears struggling with tuning and some with accuracy but you don't hear about many primes not being accurate.