What is the worst piece of Sitka Gear?

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
First thing first I love Sitka Gear and still think they are the best hunting clothing you can buy. But like every brand they came out with a few less then perfect things. I want to know what you hate the most and why.

My least favorite peace of Sitka gear I own is the Kodiak Jacket. For a long rain jacket this thing just didn't do it for me. When I first got it I was hoping that it would work gear for riding in on four-wheeler and horse back but without a slit on the back the water and wind would just ride high and water would still get over my stormfront pants and under my jacket making the extra length useless.

Would love to hear what you guys do and don't like and let me know if you agree or disagree with me.

mlgc20

WKR
I too love my Sitka gear. But, I hate how they have "fitted forearms" on some of their jackets. Specifically, the Downpour. I understand that they do it for string clearance when pulling back a bow. And even as a bowhunter, I think it is a solution looking for a problem. I don't need my jacket to get out of the way. I got that covered. What I do need is for the circulation not to get cutoff to my forearms. I ended up going with the Kuiu Yukon because of the forearms in the Downpour.

fatlander

WKR
Their older merino wool that was so bad in comparison to other brands that I haven’t wanted to try their new and improved version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing first I love Sitka Gear and still think they are the best hunting clothing you can buy. But like every brand they came out with a few less then perfect things. I want to know what you hate the most and why.

My least favorite peace of Sitka gear I own is the Kodiak Jacket. For a long rain jacket this thing just didn't do it for me. When I first got it I was hoping that it would work gear for riding in on four-wheeler and horse back but without a slit on the back the water and wind would just ride high and water would still get over my stormfront pants and under my jacket making the extra length useless.

Would love to hear what you guys do and don't like and let me know if you agree or disagree with me.
I recently picked up the kodiak jacket and really like it. I am mostly using it for treestand hunting with stormfront pants.
I do not own a 4 wheeler or horse so those issues do not apply to me.
I often hunt in hip boots so the kodiak is a perfect compliment to that.
I have 2 sets of first lite raingear and always find a way to get a wet ass when seated in stand. Bibs would solve the issue but are not offered in rain gear from first lite or sitka that I know of.
If I would pair the kodiak with my belly Hansen bibs I think you would stay dry in a hurricane. As long as you dont have to walk real far.......lol

I love first lite merino but that is where my love stops.
I am slowly converting to sitka active and mid layers. I like their fit and build better.
For outer layers I like my wool and berber.

tlkaetz

WKR
I know I am the odd ball, but I absolutely hate the hood on the Core Heavyweight Hoody! I wish it had the same style hood as the Core Lightweight Hoody. I would wear it all the time.

Poser

WKR
I don’t own it this particular item but I’m gonna go with the obscenely, absurdly, ridiculously overpriced orange vest. In the battle royale for the best orange vest on the market, Orange Aglow is in for the win and Sitka comes in dead last place for putting that price tag on a piece of polyester. And if a Sitka employee ever pulls up this thread, I can only say this:

62633adf67a70d32fb5b4c88966c5665.jpg

Old model Sitka Stormfront gaiters with the draw string on the top. They were impossible to keep over my calves. Constantly falling down. Terrible.
My buddy has the updated ones with the buckle at the top and they seemed to be great now.

The Ascent Jacket. Bought mine in 2013 and thought I would use it. Tried repeatedly and it was just too thin to do anything useful.

Would love all of it if it were priced like the Cabela’s stuff it stands up too. Have over $1k of their clothes and packs and remain unimpressed with all of it after the honeymoon. Like Yeti, they got in at the right time and rode the wave.

204guy

WKR
I would say all their rain gear. The parent company is GORE yet all of their breathable membranes are a generation or 3 behind, yet its priced the same as mountaineering brands using the newest gen.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
New verison of the ascent pants vs the originals.
Shacket
Mounatin jacket and vest
Traverse hoody and shirt

Hmmm. I own and use a ton of their stuff. Can’t say anything was the worst. I have bought and returned or resold a couple of things that just weren’t right for me - Ascent shirt, apex hoodie, stratus set - but it was more preference than real issues. I had a set of gaiters that were too small to fit my legs. They swapped them out for the updated larger version for free. CS was top notch.

If I am being honest, I have had the most issues with kuiu - whacky sizing, skinny fit, a pair of alpine pants hat leaked like a submarine with screen doors and their CS has required a bit of arm twisting to make things right. Some of my early First Lite stuff fit weird too. Their CS was much better about exchanges. The only FL piece I really have not liked was the storm tight rain gear. I shredded mine a bit the first time I wore it in some rainy / snowy weather. Some thorns 4-5 rips in the shoulder than started to leak. If I hadn’t been hypothermic already because of those stupid kuiu pants, I might have been more annoyed. FL called it normal wear and tear and suggested tenacious tape. They work fine I guess but they are too fragile for hard use so they don’t see a lot of action and have been replaced by a sitka set.

I am fairly happy with Sitka apart from the fact that I have way too much of it.

wyosteve

WKR
I had one of the first 90% jackets and loved it. Got one of the 2nd gen. 90% jackets and hated it! The second gen. was much thinner. More like a shirt than a jacket especially if they promote it as one you'll use 90 % of the time.

90% Jacket as well, it was so thin I could never find a place for it and cut short.

I have the majority of Sitka Gear made and this was the first piece I have been truly disappointed in.

Fanatic Hoody for me. I just can’t get used to the mittens on the end of the arms and they bunch up like crazy.

I know it’s not a piece, but I hate the huge tags they put on everything. I have to cut them off all my hats because they drive me nuts.

Love every other piece of Sitka gear that I own though.

I hate that each piece is not clearly labeled “Stratus 2017” or “Dakota 2015” as when I go back after a year and go through my gear (yeah I have too much), I can’t remember what some items are named or what years model! Some are unforgettable like my Jetstream but others not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk