What is this?

tdhanses

WKR
I’m thinking my buck got tangled up in barbwire? Meat was fine, nothing weird or off, no funky smells.

31F16D02-0E69-46C6-91DD-9B356DB6CB6E.jpeg

Natevon04

FNG
Just got done with our first antelope hunt (so I know nothing) and after dragging him a few hundred yards we noticed their hair rubs off really easily. Since they duck under fences mostly id say he probably got into a fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Road rash?

When I drug my antelope to a place to field dress it, it looked like that in one spot. Just kind of rubbed the hair off.

Scar tissue or just missing hair?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bbrown

WKR
Rut crazy full speed fence crossings can cause that. Watched 2 bucks fighting over a couple does and when the loser turned tail and tried to get under the fence the hair flew. He had a real nice cape up until that point but the euro turned out cool.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah I was thinking fence crossing during the rut, their hair does come out easily. No scar tissue, just bare skin. Looking forward to the euro mount on this KS buck.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
From fence crossings and this can occur at all times of the year. Research on migrations has shown that some individuals will have up to and over 1,000 fences crossing in a migrational trip. Trail cameras from known fence crossings show them losing tufts of hair at all times of the year and some pronghorn have almost a reverse mohawk where all the hair is gone along the spine.

Also, like others have mentioned I have seen dam near an entire side of a pronghorn free of hair from it being drug across a field. Their ability to lose hair is a prime reason why taxidermist love to have an extra cape or two lying around every year as most naive people pull off good chunks while in the field.