What is this?

Kramer588

Lil-Rokslider
I found this hunting in eastern Montana last week, i thought it was scat of some sort at first but its fossilzed. Its a little over an inch in diameter
IMG_2742.jpg

P Carter

WKR
I think it’s a type of rock sometimes known as bubble agate/chalcedony. (Internet, don’t flame me too hard, I’m not a bona fide rock hound and not trying to be.) I’ve picked up pieces on a much smaller scale.
A cool find!

def90

WKR
Eating.jpg

jspradley

WKR
is it smooth all around? Is there a part that looks like it broke off of something? Can you scratch it (on a part that will be hidden in case it turns out to be something cooler than just tree sap).

If you can scratch it and it smells like tree sap....well it's probably tree sap. If not my uneducated vote is chalcedony

P Carter

WKR
If you're real curious...and bored...run a test for specific gravity and that will tell you if it's pine sap or agate.

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
Eastern MT has some wierd rock forms..I found this too. I looked all over the web and couldn't identify it.
f652bd6b91386a3dfecbcacfc3d2993c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bighorner

WKR
I'm no rock hound, but I believe the rock above is melted Scotia. Did you find it near some orange rock that looks and sounds like broken pottery. I believe those are melted by coal seam fires.