What is you hunting suppressor?

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
gotta say i'm disappointed with the tbac 7 i just got, for my 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc. they're still pretty damn loud, and really no recoil/jump reduction. i don't see myself shooting these without hearing protection, so i may just go back to a good brake and electronic muffs.

Centerfire rounds will always be incredibly loud due to the supersonic crack unless you go for some specialty subsonic round like a .300 blackout. I wouldn't want to shoot one all day long at the range without hearing protection since it still veers into hearing unsafe territory, but for a single round (or two) while hunting is what I think they excel at.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to see good comparisons on suppressors for rifles, then look up Ray Sanchez on YouTube. He is with Thunderbeast and they test various supressors with a Pulse. They do mil spec left and right and shooters ear. Very informative.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Dead Air Sandman TI direct thread on both my 30 cal hunting rifles, as well as my 300 AAC. Its alright I suppose

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
Great little info graph Brownells put on instagram in the last day or two. Just helps for perspective and expectation setting.

View attachment 336858
This is a good illustration. At a certain point, even impulsive sounds like gunshots can cause immediate hearing damage. Even quieter, steady state noises, like a vacuum cleaner, can damage your hearing if your exposure is high enough (noise level weighted by time).
Acoustics are of particular importance to me, so I really hope we can get to a point where sensible suppressor regulations can be the norm. They will save everyone money in the long run. They also reduce the stress on animal populations and surrounding populations.

crich

WKR
I just use the direct thread, honestly I don’t really geek out over suppressors. I think that these days there’s so many good options out there that the gap between them isn’t even worth worrying about for hunting purposes. For sitting in labs and using specialized equipment to measure decibels and shit…sure, I’m sure there are differences but for the other 99.99999999% of us out there I don’t think it matters what brand is stamped on them. Get one with the features you like and go shoot.
I can get on board with this to a degree. I think for hunting one of the two most important factors for me is minimal poi shift and overall weight. I want to be able to take my can off and reinstall it with 100% repeatability. To be able to do this at a weight I'm willing to carry while being rated at the caliber I want in a shorter barrel is going to cost $. Its kind of like the old "cheap fast reliable" analogy.

Ultimately you're probably right whatever someone gets is going to suit them just fine unless you happen to get a real POS or your a picky specs type person. I'd rather not spend 1k or more on something I have to wait almost a year to receive and have buyers remorse. But I over analyze everything 😆

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think I’ll ever shoot a hunting rifle without one again.

The two Iv got to use now are not necessarily my first picks. Gemtech tracker I got for a stupid price when gander went out of business, it works well but I wouldn’t buy another. And a Griffin optimus micro, which is an awesome little can for rimfire and 223, and something really adaptable for smaller stuff. That said it taught me that I wouldn’t buy a take apart centerfire can ever.

Waiting on a serial number for a ultra 7 now. Thinking about a 5…. Or a nomad ti.
I own the optimus and have the micro on order. My plan was to dedicate the micro to my 223 and 22 and use the optimus for larger calibers.
Why do u say I wouldn’t order a take apart ever again? I’ve thought that was the advantage of them. How else can one clean them up easily?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I can get on board with this to a degree. I think for hunting one of the two most important factors for me is minimal poi shift and overall weight. I want to be able to take my can off and reinstall it with 100% repeatability. To be able to do this at a weight I'm willing to carry while being rated at the caliber I want in a shorter barrel is going to cost $. Its kind of like the old "cheap fast reliable" analogy.

Ultimately you're probably right whatever someone gets is going to suit them just fine unless you happen to get a real POS or your a picky specs type person. I'd rather not spend 1k or more on something I have to wait almost a year to receive and have buyers remorse. But I over analyze everything 😆

I know people always harp on POI and it is a legitimate issue to harp on. I have found my nomad Ti to be repeatable and everybody I’ve spoken to about the banish30 is happy with the repeatability. I guess my main point is that if you get a good suppressor, you are more than likely going to be fine.

Reading some stuff on the internet might lead somebody to believe that if they don’t have a thunder beast, they are screwed. This is not true, they will tell you what all the PRS guys use…as if what some fat guy with a 10lb rifle uses has any correlation to a guy hunting in the mountains.

I say pick one you like, in a price range you are comfortable with and go shoot, who cares what decimal charts say? You won’t be able to tell the difference anyways.

crich

WKR
I know people always harp on POI and it is a legitimate issue to harp on. I have found my nomad Ti to be repeatable and everybody I’ve spoken to about the banish30 is happy with the repeatability. I guess my main point is that if you get a good suppressor, you are more than likely going to be fine.

Reading some stuff on the internet might lead somebody to believe that if they don’t have a thunder beast, they are screwed. This is not true, they will tell you what all the PRS guys use…as if what some fat guy with a 10lb rifle uses has any correlation to a guy hunting in the mountains.

I say pick one you like, in a price range you are comfortable with and go shoot, who cares what decimal charts say? You won’t be able to tell the difference anyways.
Can't argue with that logic. 👍

Lawnboi

WKR
I own the optimus and have the micro on order. My plan was to dedicate the micro to my 223 and 22 and use the optimus for larger calibers.
Why do u say I wouldn’t order a take apart ever again? I’ve thought that was the advantage of them. How else can one clean them up easily?

I bought the optimus micro almost solely for my 223 tikka, I’m not using it with the taper adapter, just direct thread. I also wanted something to screw on my 17hmr. So it filled the role nicely. Honestly I can’t tell a difference between this can on my 223 and my gemtech on my 6.5 creedmoor, it’s amazing for a little guy.

The reasoning for non take apart on a centerfire is solely for poi shift, specifically when you clean it, or have to tighten the baffle stack up again. Iv only got 600 223 rounds down my optimus micro and have only cleaned it once after shooting a bunch of 17. People say you can shoot 17hmr through a sealed centerfire can…. Never do that. Anyways the baffles don’t key to the suppressor tube so depending how your stack goes in, it can change your poi. I did have to tighten after a few rounds after cleaning as well, that moved poi a click as well. Any time I have to putz with my zero on my rifle I don’t like it. I do like the 5” can though, it disappears on the end of the rifle. I plan to replace it eventually with an ultra 5 and use the optimus micro mainly on rimfire. There’s some reading to be done on take apart or not but you have to dig for it, I can wrap my head around not wanting a take apart can from a poi shift perspective. After seeing some shift with very little movement in the baffle stack my thoughts have changed on a take apart can.

Right now I’m running it 100% on my 223. I’m pretty sure it’s all carbon locked on the inside by now so essentially it’s a sealed can for the season.

I got an Armageddon gear custom cover, I’d order one, the small can heats up fast on the end of a 223!
D8BCE8DE-9856-46C3-BC6F-9494499EB7C4.jpeg

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider

Yes. And each 3 dB reduction equates to halving the sound intensity. So even if you’re not getting 35 dB reduction from your suppressor, it’s still providing a lot of benefit to you and your ears.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve never noticed a POI shift after taking my suppressor apart. I was just having coffee with a buddy who also said he has never had the POI shift after cleaning his banish 30.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ve never noticed a POI shift after taking my suppressor apart. I was just having coffee with a buddy who also said he has never had the POI shift after cleaning his banish 30.
Do the baffles key to the tube? Mine do not on the micro, only a half minute, and a quarter with some tightening of the baffles, but the rifle gets shot enough at small targets that it was immediately noticed.

I still like the can, just have to recheck zero any time I have to tighten or take apart.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I use an MAE 22ST from the Uk.
Its stainless, only 6x1.5 inches and the older ones were rated up to .223.
It works great on my .22lr and surprisingly good on the .223, while been light and handy