What is your biggest public land pet-peeve?

505Wapiti

WKR
The hoards of Texans that pile into NM to hunt public land and act like it’s a private ranch and no one else has a right to it. Half my family is from Texas and I love Texas in many ways, so don’t take offense unless you are one of those I’m referencing. If you are one of those I’m referring to, a little introspection or self reflection would do you wonders possibly. We breathe a sigh of relief when you leave.

Maki35

WKR
Trash.
I've found an abandon boat 75 feet off the road in the woods once. Another time it was a waverunner, old couch, pile of old tires, cinderblocks, beer bottles/cans, etc..

I also hate when hunters leave behind their trash.. candy/food wrappers, beverage cans, etc.

Every time I go bird hunting I pickup and throw out old shotshells left behind by other hunters. I hate to see the field littered with shotshells.

Last edited:

hotsoup

FNG
I was glassing with a friend last night and our peaceful evening was interrupted by a loud 2 stroke engine. We proceeded to watch a chunky dude start and stop his motorcycle a dozen times while trying to make his way up an old logging roads clogged with downed trees. The only silver lining to the situation was watching his lazy ass tip over a couple times. He finally busted off the logging road and flew past us on the top of the hill while churning up dust and digging a trench in the ground the whole way. I was prepared to tell the dude what I though of him, but he didn't acknowledge my presence as he sped past me at 20 yards. I then watched him go a quarter of a mile up a roadless hillside, leaving a dusty scar behind him the entire way. I know it is not legal to take atvs off trail and the number of tracks I see on the side of the hill really pisses me off. I am tempted to buy a paintball gun and pack it with me in hopes I run into that guy again. I can't imagine a more satisfying feeling than lighting his fat ass up while he is out breaking trail at high speed. It is fat lazy selfish douches like this that get areas shut down and ruin it for everyone.

I feel much better now. Thanks for the vent session.
My problem is the lack of enforcement by both state and federal authorities regarding off road use of 4wheelers and side by sides.

The hoards of Texans that pile into NM to hunt public land and act like it’s a private ranch and no one else has a right to it. Half my family is from Texas and I love Texas in many ways, so don’t take offense unless you are one of those I’m referencing. If you are one of those I’m referring to, a little introspection or self reflection would do you wonders possibly. We breathe a sigh of relief when you leave.
So long as we leave our money behind... LOL

For me, regardless of where I am in the outdoors.... it's finding some ingrate's trash he decided was to much work to pack out of the field with him.
Some of the places I've found beer cans are just stunning. And not even good beer. I mean, if you're gonna haul 12 oz. into some of these places, it should at least be worth it.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I was glassing with a friend last night and our peaceful evening was interrupted by a loud 2 stroke engine. We proceeded to watch a chunky dude start and stop his motorcycle a dozen times while trying to make his way up an old logging roads clogged with downed trees. The only silver lining to the situation was watching his lazy ass tip over a couple times. He finally busted off the logging road and flew past us on the top of the hill while churning up dust and digging a trench in the ground the whole way. I was prepared to tell the dude what I though of him, but he didn't acknowledge my presence as he sped past me at 20 yards. I then watched him go a quarter of a mile up a roadless hillside, leaving a dusty scar behind him the entire way. I know it is not legal to take atvs off trail and the number of tracks I see on the side of the hill really pisses me off. I am tempted to buy a paintball gun and pack it with me in hopes I run into that guy again. I can't imagine a more satisfying feeling than lighting his fat ass up while he is out breaking trail at high speed. It is fat lazy selfish douches like this that get areas shut down and ruin it for everyone.

I feel much better now. Thanks for the vent session.

Littering/dumping

Hands down! All who are caught should be burned at the stake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdub159

FNG
Like most people here, trash would be number one. Couple weeks ago hiked in bout 3 miles to a lake. Someone handled the weight of packing in a 12pack of bottled beer but couldn’t handle the weight of packing out empty bottles. SMH.

Yarak

WKR
I have to say lack of respect for fellow hunters down here in the Deep South
Especially during turkey season
If you don’t hunt turkeys or haven’t hunted them in the South then you can’t possibly understand
If one bird is gobbling it doesn’t matter if other hunters hear someone working the bird they’ll move right in and start working him too and most likely scare the bird off
Then there’s the road hunter that rides, stops, calls and hears nothing the first few seconds and drives on further only to repeat the process
The only thing these folks succeed in is educating the birds and making them all but impossible to kill

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I were on a hike at a state park the other day for our anniversary and here comes a guy down the trail blaring his stupid Bluetooth speaker. Man I can’t stand people who are that self unaware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don’t understand. That person isn’t just trying to enjoy their music. They *NEED YOU* to know what music they are enjoying. The goal is to rape your ears with their music. You are an unwilling participant, and they know it.