What is your dream hunt, if?

Bison with the bow in the Pink Mountains. But that is my dream hunt, not yours. What are you wanting to do?

Hardstalk

WKR
I don't know if I would choose a certain animal. Or chase a certain experience. Given your opportunity. And time and money weren't constraining on the hunt.

Ex.
1. Have a bow in hand. Tucked deep into a patch of aspens. have a screaming bull within 10 yards and be forced to keep eye contact until he stops screaming and turns broadside. Wouldn't shoot until i experienced this.

2. Climb a rock face in the southern part of Nevada. After glassing all day in the heat and now closing the distance on a band of desert rams that have bedded up in some gnarly terrain. Knowing they are within range once I come over the rock face would be quite a rush.

3. Having a bachelor group of 7-10 mature velvet mule deer slowly closing the distance on me while sitting in 2' tall grass praying they don't notice me while drawing my bow.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Alaska is over rated. Too much pressure.

+1, nothing to see up here, Yukon Territory and British Columbia are where its at.

For my dream hunt it'd be a Sheep/Elk combo horseback hunt in Canada somewhere...But thats only cause I get to hunt Moose, Caribou, Sheep, Mountain Goats, Brown Bear, and black bears annually OTC, but rest assured its all in way over hunted low game areas that aren't worth seeing. :D

Last edited:

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
So many possibilities but I'd say Stones's sheep in BC or possibly Yukon by horseback/backpack with a grizz and caribou tag in my pocket as well.

ckleeves

WKR
I don't think even if I had the money For some of these hunts I could part with it! My dream hunt would be to load the dogs a tent and all the other gear in the truck and leave the phone at home and go on 3 month multi state (Kansas, the Dakotas, Montana and Idaho) upland bird hunting slam. As much as I love bow hunting I haven't found anything as relaxing and enjoyable as chasing birds.

No pressure of big money hunts or tags, just some good dogs, 100+ days of field time and some very sore feet and tired dogs! Now that's paradise!

westside elkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Like a few others have said. I would go to BC or Yukon on a mulitple specie hunt(sheep,goat,caribou,moose anb grizzly bear) horse back or back pack. Then after that would keep my eye out for last minute cancellation hunts. Especially if you have some money put away and being retired.

I'd have to go with a sheep slam (realize it's not a single hunt). At the top of the sheep list would be a desert bighorn, then stone, then rocky, then dall). A combination Yukon or BC hunt would be remarkable too. One more would be a backcountry wall tent elk hunt with close family and friends (maybe in a classic area like the Thorofare).

Daniel_M

WKR
Alaska is and isn't what a lot of people think. A lot of us contend with big money nonres hunters for the same piece of pie. Believe it or not, some species have a higher success rate from nonres, because it's a guides game in many places.

No smokin mirrors here, you hafta put your time in. I'm at about 2-4 hours a night reading, looking at maps, prior data etc.

We also get shut out of areas, believe it or not.

Mckinnon

WKR
Now that I think about this more if I could hunt deer, elk, and antelope every year in high quality units that would be a dream for me! Then use the leftover money to put in for sheep and moose hunts.

Yukon

FNG
Alaska is and isn't what a lot of people think. A lot of us contend with big money nonres hunters for the same piece of pie. Believe it or not, some species have a higher success rate from nonres, because it's a guides game in many places.

No smokin mirrors here, you hafta put your time in. I'm at about 2-4 hours a night reading, looking at maps, prior data etc.

We also get shut out of areas, believe it or not.

I would hope the tens of thousands of dollars spent on a guided hunt gets you a higher success rate!
If you put down similar money into your own hunt i.e. gear, access, paying for the services of a guide, plane, pack horses etc imagine what that would do for your success rate!

My dream hunt would be a Desert Bighorn and a Rocky Mountain Big horn.

swat8888

WKR
I'd go for a combo hunt in BC...stone and something else, bou I guess. Of course I can hunt Dall for a $25 tag and harvest ticket so that's just me. Like Luke mentioned there are no good spots in AK anyhow...lol. If you want to do Dall I'd start putting in for some of the better draw hunts if you have a few years to wait. caribou and sheep in the right area gives you pretty good odds at at least one...might even get lucky and score on a nice griz. Either way if you go for sheep you'll never forget the scenery and the hell you went through, makes it all the more rewarding. Moose/elk/bou/bear just don't do it for me like sheep do.

Slim Jim

WKR
Mine is brown/grizzly, moose, dall sheep and caribou in AK with a bow (might want to bring rifle too). Looking to do it within the next seven years

Daniel_M

WKR
I would hope the tens of thousands of dollars spent on a guided hunt gets you a higher success rate!
If you put down similar money into your own hunt i.e. gear, access, paying for the services of a guide, plane, pack horses etc imagine what that would do for your success rate!

Buying off on the success isn't hunting, to me. Stepping out of a plane, hiking up a hill and pulling the trigger, nah.

DIY all the way.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
Argali's and Ibex's in Europe/Asia. Then maybe a land owner tag with real 200"+ mule deer potential.

I guess it's fun to dream.

Alaska Kodiak Island Brown bear hunt with my Bow in hand with a final shooting distance of 20yards and going home safely! Followed by an Archery Dall sheep hunt... Luke just let me know when you want to come down and go elk hunting, Ive got ya covered on that end!

Daniel_M

WKR
Dream hunt: ill have to cross everything off my list here in Ak before I shop outside. But, when the time comes I'd loves bighorn tag, elk and Marco Polo.