What is your effective range?

WJM1000

FNG
139g of H50BMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You know barrels are a funny thing. The first barrel I had on my .338 Big Baer was a Hart 1/10 twist and was using 147 grans of 50 BMG and getting 3275 fps. I re-barreled with a Bartlein left hand gain twist 1/10-9.25 twist and running the 300 Berger’s and getting 3185 fps with 137 grains of 50 BMG. I did go higher with the power charge, but had the best accuracy with the 137 grain load. Have you ever noticed any changes in powder charges/ velocity when changing barrels?

prm

WKR
If you think being able to read the wind is not a skill , you probably never shot at anything over a couple hundred yards. If Shooting at running hogs in timber is ethical to you fine, go for it. For me, I feel more comfortable shooting at a deer at 1000 yards standing broadside than a running hog or what ever at 50 yards. I’ve taken many deer by stalking with a revolver, a rifle, also with a bow from a tree stand. But I’ll take long-range hunting over any other methods.

Was that directed at me? If so you didn’t comprehend what I wrote. I said “figuring out wind is not a skill I am proficient…”. It’s absolutely a skill.

archp625

WKR
The longest I have shot out to is 1000 yards. I cannot put a first hit every time on 1000. With that being said, my current rifle and bullet, I will shoot an animal out to 600 yards. After that, my bullet is not meant for an animal.

Last edited:
OP
I hunt_dm3
The longest I have shot out to is 1000 yards. I cannot put a first hit every time on 1000. With that being said my current rifle and bullet I will shoot an animal out to 600 yards. After that, my bullet is not meat for that on an animal.
Something overlooked by a lot of people I think is the bullet and it’s performance at long range.

WJM1000

FNG
Was that directed at me? If so you didn’t comprehend what I wrote. I said “figuring out wind is not a skill I am proficient…”. It’s absolutely a skill.
Sorry I miss read your message, more to the point didn’t understand what you were saying. All I seen was reading the wind wasn’t a skill.

Reactions: prm

WyOwen

FNG
I shoot a lot! Thousands of rounds a year, with many different rifles. I am lucky to live in a place with alot of opportunity to shoot different setups- cross canyon, up down, and replicate hunting scenarios on steel.

Commonly I practice from 400-1180. And a few times a month when conditions are good 1400-1800.

For me max range on animals is a sliding scale with many factors-
-Atmospheric Conditions
-state of the animal (calm feeding bedded..).
-Setup and Rifle rest
- & most importantly knowing myself -There are some days I just don’t shoot good and if I feel off I don’t force it..

I have made the choice not to pull the trigger due to something being off many times, and not once have I felt bad about a shot I didn’t take.

rootacres

WKR
The longest range I have access to is 600yds. So I make sure I have plenty of reps out to that distance. I consider my max effective range to be 600 yds. The severity of the conditions will cut the distance down from there.

My limit is not equipment or ability related. My limit is animal related.

This right here

Practiced all the time 1500+
I like my hunting range to be below 900 yards but would consider a bit more. Husband made a 1400 yard shot on a elk a few years back and that situation was as good as it was going to get so he made it work beautifully

Although, If i had to make an off hand shot with a rifle i just can’t do it very well. I wouldn’t do it past 60 yards without something to lean against then i might squeak it out to 100 yards. Not comfortable at all with these types of shots so i don’t take them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot out to 362 yds on my property. I make 1st rd hits on an 8" steel plate everytime but I haven't shot it when winds exceed 10-12 mph. I plan to start practicing on windy days from now on though after reading this thread.

Since I haven't found anywhere to practice at longer ranges, I've always limited my hunting distance to 450 yds with my 7mm and 400 for my 30-06, if the wind is below 20mph.

Fortunately, I've always been able to close the distance on animals so that my shots were under the limit. My longest shot was a spike elk at 320ish yds. My closest was a spike at 60 yds. Deer have all been 25-170 yds (one with crossbow and rest are rifle). A brown bear was 110 yds.

I wish I could shoot at further distances but there isn't any ranges around here that offer beyond 100-200 yds. Until I find a farmer who'll let me shoot on his property, I'm stuck at my self imposed limits.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
That's a complicated question.

No wind, large animal, elk sized 1100ish
Strong steady wind, confident wind call, large animal 1100ish
On/off gusty wind, large animal 700ish
Wind in mountains changing directions, can't establish good wind call 500ish

These yardages would all shrink on mid to small size game. Without proven dope and an accurate wind call you will most likely end up with a wounded animal.