What is your favorite hunting arrow?

What's your favorite hunting arrow setup? Why? What played into the decision that this is the best setup for you?

Mention your draw length, poundage, and bow model.
Mention your arrow shaft model and spine and diameter, arrow length, vane configuration, insert/outsert configuration, and point weight.
Mention your stats if you know them. (finished weight, speed, foc)

There are thousands of different directions a hunter can go with his/her arrow setup. Interested to see what people are having success with and the thought process that made them lean one direction or another.

Clarktar

WKR
Tag. Will get my specs up in the next few days

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Full metal jacket is my favorite hunting shaft. I've shot them since they were introduced, only change I've made is I tried the FMJ injextions, went back to the regular FMJ shafts after not being able to find a reliable outsert. Didn't want to use a Deep 6 head. They are the heaviest shafts made. And I've found them to be durable.

Hoyt ZT turbo, 28.5 draw length, 70#
.300 FMJ cut 28 inches, regular HIT insert,125 gr heads, 3blazer vanes
Finished weight 515gr, FOC around 16% don't remember exactly. No idea how fast they shoot, don't care.

Easton Axis, just a good solid durable arrow that takes abuse.
2016 Prime Rize
65#
27.5 DL
27" throat to carbon
460 Total weight
260 FPS
11.2 FOC
Axis 400
Fusion 3" 4 Fletch
4" Wrap
Brass 50 Grain Insert
Goldtip Kaos sleeve to help protect the ends and support the arrow back to the hidden insert

JaySalt

FNG
2016 Defiant turbo
72#
30" DL
29.5" victory VAP elite shafts
(250 spine)
92 gr inserts
4 fletch blazers
515 gr finished weight
287 FPS
13.7% FOC (gold tip website)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Compound; Axis 300 cut 29", 3 blazers no wrap, 50 gr insert [of the 50/75 gr] with a 150gr VPA 2 or 3 blade[they both tune the same]
Right at 500gr total weight

Recurve heavy; Beman Centershot 340's, 50 or 75 gr insert [?] 3-4" feathers, 150gr VPA 2 or 3bl, 31"
right at 600 gr total

Recurve light; Beman MFX 400's, 3-4 " feathers, 50gr insert, 125 gr Magnus buzzcut, VPA 2 blade or Zwicky 2 blade [until I use them up] 485 gr total cut 30.5"

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Right now I'm using GT Kinetic XT 200's at 30" with HIT's, Bohning A-nocks, and Q2i Fusion Xii 2.1" vanes.......total weight 532gr, out of a PSE Freak SP at 70lbs and 32 1/2" draw at 289fps.

But I also have Axis 300's with HIT's at 494gr, Black Eagle Rampage 250's with HIT's at 484gr, and Trophy Ridge Crush 300's with HIT's at 500gr.

The TR Crush 300's are BY FAR the most durable arrow shafts I've used, and I've tried a bunch of them.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
28 inch Easton Axis 340 Camo - a little extra weight
2002 Hoyt Cybertech 64 pounds- awesome quiet accurate bow, no desire to upgrade
100 gr broadhead
Fusion Vanes
I have been using this setup for a while without changing it. I "think" my overall weight is 439gr with FOC 16 but not sure as again, I havent checked it in years since I havenet changed anything in years.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My favorite hunting arrow rite there, for that very reason. I've been searching for a new favorite ever since they were discontinued.

I had three dozen of them (after I picked up two dozen on clearance after they discontinued them) and after my original dozen were still going strong after 8 years I realized that three dozen would last me a lifetime and then some. So I sold a new in package dozen shafts last year on AT.

Dang!, 5MB, does everything you get need to be custom?

LOL.......only my dress shirts, and sometimes pants.

OP
Goldtip platinum Pierce. 200 grains up front. 450 grains total

what insert and/or outsert setup are you using? how is that setup working in terms of durability? how much do you shoot and what type of target?

I've been looking hard at necking down to either a micro or ultra-micro shaft like these, but all that I have read online leads me to believe that there is no good option in terms of insert or outsert setup. Sounds like the hit/deep six style holds up well except the shaft starts to splinter on the front after awhile, but it sounds like the outserts have a tendency to bend and or break. What is your experience with this?

OP
2016 Defiant turbo
72#
30" DL
29.5" victory VAP elite shafts
(250 spine)
92 gr inserts
4 fletch blazers
515 gr finished weight
287 FPS
13.7% FOC (gold tip website)

Are you using the shok outsert? if not, what are you using? how has this insert/outsert held up in terms of durability? how much are you shooting and what type of target are you shooting into?

As I mentioned in my last post on this thread, I am thinking of dropping into a smaller diameter shaft, but am scared because of all the durability issues people are having with their insert/outsert setups. I want to know that whatever arrow I end up transitioning into is going to be durable and maintain accuracy for the long run. If I'm going to drop the cash on premium arrows, the last thing I want to do is be doing it again in 4 months.

ahlgringo

WKR
Are you using the shok outsert? if not, what are you using? how has this insert/outsert held up in terms of durability? how much are you shooting and what type of target are you shooting into?

As I mentioned in my last post on this thread, I am thinking of dropping into a smaller diameter shaft, but am scared because of all the durability issues people are having with their insert/outsert setups. I want to know that whatever arrow I end up transitioning into is going to be durable and maintain accuracy for the long run. If I'm going to drop the cash on premium arrows, the last thing I want to do is be doing it again in 4 months.

I will reply to this as I shoot a very similar setup. Vap v1 250 spine, 100 g ss shock in/outs, 100g slick tricks. 3 fletch helical blazers. Arrow wt 510g going 286 out of 80lb elite synergy. Foc somewhere around 14%

Shot these in bags, rineharts, 3d, etc. holding up great and spinning true after couple hundred shots in each arrow. Arrows group awesome at distance.

Had lots of issues with older penetrator 1 and 2 in/outs. Thus far shoks have been great. Totally content with this setup and I think a great elk combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaySalt

FNG
I am shooting the older style 92 gr ss outsert. I have had issues keeping them glued in before using just regular epoxy, they would go into the target and the insert would keep on going. I started using the "insert weld" and it has been much better! No issues at all! As far as durability goes i have only ever bent one. At the indoor range this winter i had my d-loop break at about half draw and sent the arrow into a steel beam. That is the only issue i have had with them bending. I mostly shoot into a block layered style target, i also have some home made targets out of 2" insulation. I have read about people having issues with them also, but I've been shooting this set up for over a year and in my experience if you keep it on the target you won't have any issues

JaySalt

FNG
I have also used the Black Eagle Deep impact shafts with their 56 gr outsert with good luck in this set up. Finished weight was around 525 gr. And they shot awesome. The only reason i swapped to the VAP is i felt the 250 spine suited my set up a little better.

pingpong7

FNG
GoldTip Platinum Pierce 300 spine, extremely tough arrows and micro diam w/ helical fletching. These things are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Toughest and most accurate arrow ive seen.

Mathews Halon 32
70#, 30" draw, 6" brace.
Arrow weight = 428g with 100g Slick Trick 1" cd
299 FPS

Davebuech

WKR
Ive been having good luck with the GT Kinetic Kaos 340 spine in my 70 lb BTX31 at 28.5"draw. 3 vane Blazers, helical fletch, arrow shaft at 27.5, using the GTO knocks, accu-tough insert and ballistic collars with 100 gr Montec G4's. Finished wt coming in at near 460 gr. , 12-14% foc. Crono'd somewhere in the mid/upper 280 fps but don't recall exact number.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord