What is your favorite hunting dog and why ?

Agross

WKR
GSPs for me.
View attachment 166476
The brown dog was my first bird dog, had him until March 19 when he just had turned 14. The white dog is still doing great at 12.

We are complete amateurs but still have a lot of fun in Northern Michigan hunting grouse/woodcock.
I've only owned one gsp, but had her for 15 years until she got hit by a car. She was a great dog. Then I had a weim for 12 years. By far the smartest dog Ive ever seen. Too smart sometimes. Man he was a good dog . hated guns, which was alright cuz he was a family pet, but man that dog loved fishing. Like insanely loved going fishing. Ive tossed around the idea of getting a pooch again, been three years now without one and we have the room for em to roam. Thinking about looking at a gsp again

Ucsdryder

WKR
35a0a3def89ab0d66ed9f7a0aa6a97c8.jpg

I love my little red Plott. I think he would run a bear until his heart exploded. Here he was too tired to stand by the time we shot this one so he just barked from the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that doesn’t make your heart happy then you don’t have one.

Pigskin

FNG
I trained labs for years but , been thinking about a German wire haired pointer of griffon.

Love the way they look.

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Boykin Spaniel! He’s a great bird dog, loves the water. They look small but they’re strong, agile dogs. Underrated dog, he’s up for duck hunting, flushing pheasants, grouse. Calm house dog

mwebs

WKR
Always had labs, never even thought of getting a different dog, just can't beat them in the duck marsh and flushing upland birds.

Here is the new addition I picked up for the current situation we find ourselves in, tons of time to train the next few months! Plus everyone knows you need a dog during the apocalypse...

1585841968073.png

1585842002354.png

slvrslngr

WKR
View attachment 166238

My sample size is only 1 hunting dog thus far, but this here Pudelpointer, Jethro, does it for me. Great nose, great drive, great chill-at-home with the family and kids mode. He hunts fairly close in the pheasant fields and holds points well. Sits extremely well when decoy hunting waterfowl or doves/pigeons. We don't hunt a lot of enclosed blinds and no pit blinds around here so that is a big plus as we're just huddling in the vegetation. Handles river and stream current well even with a big Canada in his jaw.

We start with doves on September 1 and go through to the end of goose season in February with pheasants, ducks, crows, pigeons, squirrels throughout that timeframe.

We have a small house and small yard, so his off-switch is a big deal and his non-shedding coat is a big plus too.

He's admittedly crap for a fishing companion though because he wants to be in the stream too much and trout don't seem to take kindly to him.

Great looking pudelpointer! Amazing dogs, love my girl.

Growing up we always had labs and they are great all around dogs. That said, I've always enjoyed being around spaniels and ended up getting a Boykin Spaniel nearly 8 years ago. I've had some good dogs over the years but he's been my favorite. Awesome trail companion, great with the kids, and he does really well with upland and waterfowl despite me being a poor trainer. Geese are a bit big for him but it's fun to watch him try. He does really well in the heat and pretty good in the cold, though I have to watch him in extreme cold temps. The biggest downside to a spaniel is the inevitable burrs they collect in their ears. I can think of a few other breeds that do worse in that category, but I can think of a lot of breeds that do better. Boykins are a friendly, social breed and they like to please. Despite my poor training he was much easier to train for basic commands than the labs I've had in the past.

As someone commented above about skunks, I think he's finally learning they are bad news. He's been sprayed twice while out on the trail, though not a direct hit either time. The last time we came across one he stood back 20 feet and barked instead of running after it so I'm hopeful he's learned his lesson on those.

Totally agree TWall I have had Boykins for over 30 yrs love their versatility to do almost anything and very loyal!

I love GSPs. Strongest drive and can hunt three days in a row. Best bird dog.

I've hunted with GWP and they are great dogs as well. I've seen too many Brittany's that didnt point.