What is your go to elk arrow setup?

jasboj

FNG
58#@29" im shooting 2117 cut to 31" length. 160g broadheads. Comes in @ 550ish grains. Seems to be a legit setup. I tried efoc but i couldnt keep my arrows from taking a nose dive past 20 yrds.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: FLS
Cedars or laminated birch shafts, 640 gr to 730 gr. Either Zwickey Deltas or 160 gr Snuffers and 3 - 5.25" feathers.

Btaylor

WKR
I am finally settled on arrow setup for the new bow. Gold tip hunter 400 cut 29" carbon to carbon, standard insert with 20 grain weight and 175 grain head, 3 4" feathers. 470 grains taw and fly like darts.

GregB

WKR
Finally dialed in my setup for my new Stalker Wolverine. 58lbs @ 28, easton trad Axis .400 28.75" HITT insert VPA footer 200 gr. head and 3 4" feathers, total weight 538 grains. I've also been playing around with the AAE traditional vanes.

Beendare

WKR
I've been going back and forth- finally settled.

I'm going with my 19" Dryad riser, long Uukha Exo limbs set to right at 50#. My own 11 strand BCYX and 452 endless loop string and Axis woodgrain 340's cut 31 1/4" long, 75 gr brass insert and 150gr VPA 3 blades non vented....arrow finishes at 560 grains.

Btaylor

WKR
11 strands of each or total. Not familiar with building or shooting endless loop strings. I want to try that broadhead and the Simmons Tiger Shark but already have 2 dozen heads spit shined and shavin sharp for this season.

Beendare

WKR
11 strands of each or total. Not familiar with building or shooting endless loop strings. I want to try that broadhead and the Simmons Tiger Shark but already have 2 dozen heads spit shined and shavin sharp for this season.

Seems like Endless is a tad lighter.
11 strands total. 2 -452 in black for accent , 9 BCYX in brown. I add 4 wraps on the loops and an addl 7 strands as backing for the center serving [Halo .28" I think] to get my noks to fit perfect.

I've been running 10 strands on my 45# bow, it settles in good. I've been playing with between 10-18 strand strings just for the heck of it for awhile. 12 strand is noticeably quieter than 18. Not a lot of difference in noise between the 10 and 14 strand...so i might settle somewhere in the 12/13 range.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
30” gold tip hunter 340s 100 grain brass insert 200 grain vpa and 3 4” feathers out of a 48#@28 colt targetsman drawn to 29”

Btaylor

WKR
Seems like Endless is a tad lighter.
11 strands total. 2 -452 in black for accent , 9 BCYX in brown. I add 4 wraps on the loops and an addl 7 strands as backing for the center serving [Halo .28" I think] to get my noks to fit perfect.

I've been running 10 strands on my 45# bow, it settles in good. I've been playing with between 10-18 strand strings just for the heck of it for awhile. 12 strand is noticeably quieter than 18. Not a lot of difference in noise between the 10 and 14 strand...so i might settle somewhere in the 12/13 range.

Gotcha. I have kinda settled in on 16 strand flemish with TS1. Tried some 12 strand but they just were a pain and they werent nearly as stable.

Beendare

WKR
Gotcha. I have kinda settled in on 16 strand flemish with TS1. Tried some 12 strand but they just were a pain and they werent nearly as stable.
Part of it I think- at least for me...is dialing in the perfect length for each setup. If I build the string even 1/4" too long it requires a lot of twists...and that makes a difference in stability too.

Last edited:

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
From my limited knowledge, that seems to me like a solid arrow choice, while some may say that speed kills, on bigger game such as elk a heavier arrow is generally the way to go. However I may be biased, considering I use a 5mm FMJ 475 grain arrow shooting only 266 fps for Whitetail in an area in which all anyone cares about is blazing speed for the most part.

Beendare

WKR
Well I was shooting for 600gr...which would about match my 45# bow/543 gr arrow in GPP and trajectory.

That way I should have essentially the same trajectory and don't need to relearn. My 560gr arrow/50#- 64" bow does have a slightly longer point on....so its a little faster but also not as dead silent on the shot.

FWIW, I REALLY like a whisper quiet bow and think its a bigger factor than many guys give it credit. I've had a couple recent examples with my ultra quiet 45#-er. One I snuck in to about 12 yards on a small hog and missed the first shot [Oh, I've got a couple excuses but it will sidetrack this /grin] The hog heard the arrow in the tall grass....but never spooked. Drilled him with my followup.

I had another close shot on a big hog...about 22 yds. Doublers lunged the hog while feeding...again in tall grass but a wide open meadow/field. The boar looked up quickly and I stood stock still. I do believe that hog would have charged me if he had known I was there. He stood looking for about 8-10 seconds knowing something was wrong....then got wobbly and tipped over right there. He never heard my bow go off.

I've seen the same thing on windy days with a compound- little reaction...thus better shot locations and shorter Blood trails.

I've been with a buddy on the same ranch and his compound shooting a 400 gr arrow makes a distinctive bow twang. He has had animals jump the string...and I've seen the same thing to differing degrees over the more than 3 decades of bowhunting....some species more sensitive to a bow than others.

Sometimes the conditions are such they don't hear your bow...and its almost always a better animal reaction to the shot.

These experiences had led me to "Quiet bow" being a pretty important factor, YMMV

bbell

WKR
Shooting my Black Bear warf bow with tradtech limbs. I am about 52lbs @28in. Shooting a full length Easton GG 2016 tipped with 150gr Magnus 4 blade stingers. Getting excited!

bhylton

WKR
Shooting my Black Bear warf bow with tradtech limbs. I am about 52lbs @28in. Shooting a full length Easton GG 2016 tipped with 150gr Magnus 4 blade stingers. Getting excited!

that setup has 90's written all over it! awesome!

bbell

WKR
When I got the riser warfed I felt I had to shoot aluminum with it😀 just seemed natural