What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

• Lowa

Votes: 136 28.0%
  • Scarpa

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • Asolo

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Danner

Votes: 31 6.4%
  • Salomon

Votes: 44 9.1%
  • Kenetrek

Votes: 80 16.5%
  • LasPortiva

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Hanwag

Votes: 37 7.6%
  • Salewa

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Meindl

Votes: 90 18.5%

• Total voters

T43

Lil-Rokslider
Zamberlan Vioz for 3 years like them so much I picked up some Zamberlan Dakota 6" for early season. Unless something changes I'll be a Zamberlan customer from now on.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Zamberlan Vioz for 3 years like them so much I picked up some Zamberlan Dakota 6" for early season.

I got the last pair of the lower Dakota's that Amazon had for $89 earlier this year, even in my size (13)......that was my steal of the year. Love them.

Kotaman

WKR
Here's the "short" list of what I've tried the past three years looking for the "perfect" mountain boot: Lowa Sheephunter, Lowa Hunter Extremes, Lowa Tibets GTX, Lowa Bighorn GTX, Lowa Rangers, Cabelas Meindl Alaskans, Cabelas Meindl Denali, Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hunters, Cabelas 50th Anniversary Meindl, Hanwag Alaskans, Hanwag Mt. Lites, Hanwag Trappers, Zamberlan VIoz, Zamberlan/KUIU Pamir, Kennetrek Mt. Extreme 400's, Kennetrek Hard Scrabbles and a pair of Crispis that I don't remember the name of. And quite possible more I'm forgetting a pair or two.

My favorite boots from this list are the Lowa Sheephunters followed closely by the Lowa Bighorns. I want to like the new Zamberlan/Kuiu boot, but I think it iis just too narrow for me. I did a little write-up on most of these on a thread on the Bowsite titled "Boots: Two Years Worth".

The boots I'd still like to try are the Schnee's Granite and the new L&S Lowa Lightweight boot. Boots are SO subjective and individual. Finding one that fits YOU is the key and there is no single right boot for everyone. Probably one of our most subjective pieces of gear for sure.

stephen b

WKR
Lowa's- they just fit my feet and work great for me.

I have use a # of boots over the years, and most with great success including Danner Bighorn ( precurser to the Pronghorn line); Vasque Sundowner; and also some Meindl. But the Lowa's have been best of the bunch. I have used Lowa's Tempest Low for almost ten years and lots of miles ( thousands) for training up and down hills. And a few years ago started wearing Lowa's Renegade ( my all time favorite hunting boot so far ) and then last year for later season added the Lowa Tibet and that has been a great boot also.

Boots are hard to figure out ( like packs- but worse if not right) for a lot of people. Most of the time when you find a boot manufacturer that makes boots that fit your feet- then stick with them. For me it is Lowa.

mtmiller

WKR
I am a fan of both the Kenetrek and Lowa boots. My every day work boot is a Kenetrek, but it is just about time to retire the pair.

They are a stiff boot, but comfortable enough to wear around the office or working in the field. My only issue with the boot is that I do get some heel slip when I am in steep country. That is not the case with my Lowa Hunters. I love my Lowas, but they are very stiff. This is good for getting up the mountain, but I usually take them off or untie when I get back to the pick-up.

Boots, like lots of hunting paraphernalia, are different for everyone, but for me the Kenetrek will be on my foot when chasing birds, but the Lowas get the nod when I am headed to the hills. Luckily I have a few to choose from.

I have worn out a pair of light weight Asolos and Salomons. I was impressed with both, but preferred the Asolo. It has been too long, so I don’t remember the model, but would go with either again.

I have a pair of Danner Canadians that I despise. I hate the fit and comfort and now wondering why I haven’t just thrown them in the garbage.
As I mentioned, everyone’s foot will be different, but Kenetrek and Lowa Hunters are what my wheels prefer.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread should do nothing but prove guys can only recommend what they are comfortable with. All boot companies put out a good boot, IF THEY FIT YOUR FOOT. Lowa's may be of the highest quality in the world, but if it isn't the right shape for your foot you would literally be better off with tennis shoes. Boots are all about trying on and giving them a go to see if they work.
Totally agree... Probably the most important tool in your kit, but also the one where you need to really put out the effort to find the right one....

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Totally agree... Probably the most important tool in your kit, but also the one where you need to really put out the effort to find the right one....
Totally agree! Each wearer is unique. I use a Lowa Baffin Pro. It just fits my foot great. I have to run Superfeet orange to take up a lil room in the heel and its a perfect fit for me. Another big thing for me at least is it is all leather. I cannot stand "GTX" lined boots. Again personal preference but my feet sweat way too much in Gore lined boots. Getting the inside saturated with sweat pretty much defeats the purpose of having a "GTX" lined boot. I treat the leather in Obernauf's Heavy Duty LP and have had zero issues with water penetrating. I probably treat the leather twice a year. After all that being said TEmbry nailed it with his comment.

Snyd

WKR
I've used 3 different leather boots for Sheep Hunting and then went to these about 5 years ago. Never going back to leather, ever, nope, not ever. Glacier socks for stream crossings, liners have a rubber sole and are like mocassins for "camp shoes". Nothing protect feet in the shale and rocks like plastics. I've packed 100+lbs of pack/sheep miles and miles in rough terrain several times with these and have never had a blister. Any slippage is between the liner and shell. After 5+ days of wet leather boots there's not enough support left for me.

Lowa Civettas

file_zps17ff978e.jpg

LowaShorts_zps28c752de.jpg

LowaLiners_zpsa8940b05.jpg

tuffcity

WKR
Meindls for the past 15 years for me... but my feet fit Meindls. Ran a pair of Meindl Nepal Pros into the ground then switched into a pair of Canada Pros (not the Cabelas variety) Out of the box and into a goat hunt and not a blister or hot spot, but that has always been the case, for me, with Meindls. Also used Koflach (before plastic and boot was ever merged lol) Scarpa and Asolo. Asolo were my least favourite.

RC

I have the kenetreck mtn extreme and love them. Light, great support and traction. I bought normal width that tore my feet up somthing fiearce! Called customer service and they told me to exchange them for a narrow. I drove over to belgrade and exchanged them for the narrow and what a difference. They didnt charge me a dime either, what great service.

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
Snyd, I couldn't have said it better myself.
For those reasons stated, and many more, I will never, ever go back to leather boots in the mountains.

bz_711

WKR
First mountain hunt in 2010, tried many boots on...Cabela models, Meindl, Danner...and just couldn't find the fit I wanted. I then began trying on hiking boots instead of hunting boots. Bought a pair of Asolo that I still wear today, bought 2nd pair of Asolo Sasslongs last year as backup and had to wear both this year Elk hunting as it rained everyday. I'm happy with both, give me the fit I need for all day walking on side of my feet - as we are surrounded by 14er's where we hunt. Only twice I've had heel issues, both times feet were wet and packing out elk...not sure if I could find a better fit to avoid that or not. Like many boots, seems like waterproof wears off after 1-2 seasons. Otherwise, I like very stiff sole, and Vibram treads, and something close to a 7" boot, I do not like higher boots getting up much past my ankle.

I have worn several pairs of Lowas. Banffs, Baffin Pros, Schnee's Sheep Hunters. Love them all. This year I tried a pair of Crispi Idaho boots for bowhunting, and really liked them also.

Like TEmbry said though, fit is everything. I'd go barefoot before wearing a pair of Kenetreks. Well made boots but they kill my feet.

Lowas a half size up. They fit perfectly with a good pair of wool socks, there is a little slop in them when I drop down to a thin merino sock in the spring/summer but can live with it chasing turkey's and such. I get the leather lined now and treat with snow seal. I no longer believe in a goretex boot. I feel the constant flexing over and over wears down the membrane and becomes comprimised. I have yet to have a pair of goretex boots that stayed water proof more then a year... Including American made danners or lowa's

AitchAr

FNG
I switch between the La Sportiva Omega GTX and the Lowa Renegade GTX. I really like the stiff sole and light weight of the Omega, just wish it was a little wider in the toe box/forefoot area. The Renegades are a good all-around boot for me. They both fit my heel great. If I could combine the toe box/forefoot of the Lowa Renegade and the stiff sole of the La Sportiva Omega, I think I would have the perfect boot. I've also tried the Kenetrek Hardscrabble and the only thing that I didn't like about them was heel slip.

I'm going to wait for more reviews of the new Lathrop & Sons Cevedale Tech-Light Hunter, but it sounds like it could be the boot I've been looking for.

Rocky

WKR
meindl denalis with the lathrop synergy inserts for me..... But looking at making a change. I have had them for three year and I still get blisters on my heels. I also get the numb runners toe but I think that might be because they are a just a hair too small.

Clarktar

WKR
Was using Lowa Hunters with L&S footbed. Worked great. Fit my foot and were extremely comfortable even during grueling steep bush wacking days. Almost zero foot fatigue for me. The rubber rand started to delam. so I have sent them back. Going to give the new Lowa L&S light weight boots a try when I get the okay on the return of the hunters.