What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

• Lowa

Votes: 136 28.0%
  • Scarpa

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • Asolo

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Danner

Votes: 31 6.4%
  • Salomon

Votes: 44 9.1%
  • Kenetrek

Votes: 80 16.5%
  • LasPortiva

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Hanwag

Votes: 37 7.6%
  • Salewa

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Meindl

Votes: 90 18.5%

• Total voters
I've used La Sportiva boots from '99 until 2007. Like others, I will not go back to leather boots again. I've been using Salomon and Keen Cross/trail runners as my "boots" since '07 as I typically only archery hunt and like the speed (lightweight) and quietness of softer soled shoes versus boots. However, after several posts about the Salomon 4D Quests, I tried a pair on at REI and holy cow, I fell in love.

Salomon Quests for me.

Vandal 44

WKR
I am using the Asolo TPS 520 GV, they are a very good boot not to stiff. I am not a fan of the stiff soled boot, I like my feet to flex a little. I have used the Asolo for one season and have put many miles on them. I hunted in some very steep and nasty elk country for a few weeks, I have taken them on a 7 day mule deer and whitetail hunts with no blisters, no foot soreness and no foot fatigue. My only complaint with these boots is the height of them, if they were an inch or two taller they would be a 10 out of 10.

worx53

WKR
20year progression: Started with brownings, then rocky's, danners, cabelas, meindl denali, meindl ak, kennetrek lowa gtx Tibet.
I will be using the lowas from here on out. Absolutely the most comfortable yet supportive boot I've ever tried.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
Have some Zamberlan Dakota's now. Love them. Had plantars tendon problems before...they really helped that issue. I will be buying from them again.

drake7

FNG
A little late on this post but thought i would throw in my 2cents.
Schnees Hunter II's for late season hunting. Absolutely the most comfortable packs on the market!
Kenetrek Mountain Boots NI for early season. 1st season with them and had a great experience. Great support and comfort up and down the steep stuff. Wore them 14 days strait with zero issues!

lintond

WKR
Well I'm in the minority here with my boot choice. Been using the Under Armour Speed Freaks for the past 3 seasons. I've put a lot of miles on those boots and they never let me down until just last Sunday when I feet finally got wet. They've been great for comfort and durability but it's now time to replace them. Might pick up another pair they did so well for me.

I have a pair of the speed freaks as well and really like them, but they didn't stay water proof for me. They sure are comfy though and great for warm weather.

oct71

Lil-Rokslider
Early season I use UA speed freaks and late season I use the meindl perfekt hunters. I try to stay in the 150-200 dollar range for boots. Poor man=poor ways:)

trk3263

WKR
I wear Solamon quests and they have worked great. I actually bought them used at an REI garage sale and they had about 90% left in them. I am gonna be in the market for new boots this year and while I love them I am thinking about trying one of the big name boots.

Hey Aron you get all these PM's about boots ands tuff but I don't see your post. We want to know your boot of. Choice as I am sure you have tested a few.

Maybe you guys could offer some advice. I was born with flat feet and a year ago I went to orthotics with wedges on the inside to help with overpronating ankle angle. These inserts did a few things. One, they make your feet weak but there's not really a cure for that. Two, in conjunction with number one above, they made my feet longer essentially making my existing footwear too short. Three, they raise my heel out of the heel pocket in my boot and this is the bad part. I need a higher heel pocket or get rid of the wedges.

I have owned 3 different pairs of La Sportiva, just about every Meindl, about 4 different pairs of Vasque, Danners, countless jungles & combat boots (I faked my physical in order to be in the Marines by making my foot appear to have an arch) and now Lowa Tibets. Brooks Beast is what I have to run with.

With some of my favorite boots I have arthritis to deal with in each big toe joint from being flat footed. This is only an issue when the boot flexes giving aweful pressure points. It seems worse with boots with rubber all of the way around.

JP100

WKR
I am currently wearing a pair of Scarpa Escape's. they are ok. had them for about 8months and they are nearly rooted. toe's on the sole have worn through to a metal plate underneath for some weird special crampon attachment.
Only pair of boots I have had that have lasted more than 12 months is a pair of Asolo Sasslongs. had a pair for nearly 2 years super comfy and lasted well. the soles were worn out and I finally stopped wearing them the entire lining ripped out one day. will be ordering a new pair of them ASAP!

I haven't tried very many mountain boots. I do wear Salomon 4D GTX. I love them. For my feet the fit is best. Tight on the heel cup and a wide toe cup. They are very comfortable out of the box. They performed very well in last year on all my trips.
They also have a great warranty. I had to use it this winter. They exchanged them no questions asked.

JP100

WKR
Early season I use UA speed freaks and late season I use the meindl perfekt hunters. I try to stay in the 150-200 dollar range for boots. Poor man=poor ways:)

man thats cheap. in NZ we pay $600-$1000 for a pair of meindels. here pretty much any boots worth wearing are $600 plus!!

crumy

WKR
I am using the Asolo TPS 520 GV, they are a very good boot not to stiff. I am not a fan of the stiff soled boot, I like my feet to flex a little. I have used the Asolo for one season and have put many miles on them. I hunted in some very steep and nasty elk country for a few weeks, I have taken them on a 7 day mule deer and whitetail hunts with no blisters, no foot soreness and no foot fatigue. My only complaint with these boots is the height of them, if they were an inch or two taller they would be a 10 out of 10.

I totally agree with you. I purchased these year after my Cabela brand mountain booth I hunted in for the last 6 years finally died.. The TPS 520 are the Cats A$$. Love them. Took a bit to get used to the lower fit. but actually seemed to help me when hiking in with my pack... my calf didn't hurt. Took a really hard look at Lowa but these won out. I put over would say I put well over 200 miles on these boots between training hikes and hunting and NEVER had a problem. I don't know that these are the boot for heavy snow or really cold, but they worked well for me this year.

I own the vasque breeze. Wouldn't recommend them. They feel awesome, but your feet will get wet. This last fall I pretty much had wet feet for 8 days straight chasing elk up at 10,000 feet. This last month hiking around in a few inches of snow for an hour has caused my feet to get wet too. There isn't much worse than wet feet.

JP100

WKR

we dont got cabelas here. some guys import boots for cheaper. Ive known people who have had tax dropped on them at customs and they worked out being the same price. I dont like buying boots I have not tried on either. But I am looking into importing some. just orderd a Vortex scope from optics planet you cant get vortex here. cant wait to get it

60x

WKR
I voted scarpa.. I'm a plastic kind of guy. I use koflach normally but this season I'll be sporting some as
Scarpa omegas..

ChadS

Lil-Rokslider
Got a pair of Kenetreks last season, ended up being a half size too small and narrow. Even though they didnt fit they were 100 times better than Danner Pronghorns those things suck. Tried to get them to stretch but it was not happening. One call to Kenetrek and a few days later I had the correct size at my door for a grand total of $0. That is customer service. Replaced and took a boot back that I wore for a whole season.

Crispi Kanada's, I've had them for almost 2 full seasons and I haven't gotten a blister, hot spot or heel slippage. The ankle support is incredible. They have been the perfect boot for me.

You are spot on!
Crispi is still new here to the states and thats the only reason they are not receiving all the votes. They are THE most comfortable, nicest boots of the bunch. I have Wyomings, Idaho's, Hunters, and CANNOT wait to try the new Alaska's for late season when its around 0 or less. It doesn't matter which pair I wear for its condition, I am always floored how much more comfortable they are than any other boot out there. I have used Lowa, Mendle and many other lesser boots in the past. Lowa's last, but NOTHING is as comfortable as Crispi and Crispi lasts just as long.

Crispi Kanada's, I've had them for almost 2 full seasons and I haven't gotten a blister, hot spot or heel slippage. The ankle support is incredible. They have been the perfect boot for me.

You are spot on!
Crispi is still new here to the states and thats the only reason they are not receiving all the votes. They are THE most comfortable, nicest boots of the bunch. I have Wyomings, Idaho's, Hunters, and CANNOT wait to try the new Alaska's for late season when its around 0 or less. It doesn't matter which pair I wear for its condition, I am always floored how much more comfortable they are than any other boot out there. I have used Lowa, Mendle and many other lesser boots in the past. Lowa's last, but NOTHING is as comfortable as Crispi and Crispi lasts just as long.