What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

What is your mountain hunting boot of choice?

• Lowa

Votes: 136 28.0%
  • Scarpa

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • Asolo

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Danner

Votes: 31 6.4%
  • Salomon

Votes: 44 9.1%
  • Kenetrek

Votes: 80 16.5%
  • LasPortiva

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Hanwag

Votes: 37 7.6%
  • Salewa

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Meindl

Votes: 90 18.5%

• Total voters

charvey9

WKR
I went with Kenetrek for the poll because they have worked the best for me. The most waterproof pair of boots I've owned.

I also really like the quality of Lowa, and ball bearing / lace lock system which is awesome if you like your boots tight. I had a pair of Tibets, but no matter how I tied the boots they would make my left foot go numb. I also own a pair of Lowa Uplanders which are a sweet combat type boot for the early season.

Danner is the only high dollar boot I have ever had problems with. I went through 3 pair of the US made ridgemasters before the warranty ran out, all 3 started to leak after a short period of time.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been running the Meindle Alaska Hunter since 2009. They are a pretty good boot for 90% of the time. However, I have been looking for a stiffer boot as some of the sheep terrain I have been in the last 2 hunts was rough, loose, and steep.... I followed the KUIU boot with interest, but I prefer an insulated boot so I just picked up a pair of Zamberlan Ibex Pros. I look forward to breaking them in. I'll see how they work out and decide which boot goes with me for 2014's sheep hunt.
Since this post I tested 3 boots and ended up sticking with the Lowa Bighorns. I really wanted the Ibex Pros to work out, but they tore up my feet. Also tried a pair of light weight La Sportiva Trango S Evo GTXs but in the end it took the Bighorns and Lathrop & Son's custom fit process to solve my issues.

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I currently am using the Zamberlan Guide 960 GTX and am very pleased. I put a ton of miles on them this year and they still look brand new. Very good boot and would highly recommend them to anyone.

slick

WKR
Hanwag Banks GTX. Not as many miles on them as I would have liked, but they have held up great and look brand new. They don't have as much support through the ankle as I would like during side hills. They fit great as I have a narrow foot, no slipping. The GTX liner works perfectly, except I don't think they breathe that well. My feet are constantly sweating.

Will probably be moving on to the Alaskan by Hanwag because I know they fit my feet. Will also be picking up a pair of pac boots from Hoffman's for late season conditions.

I have owned Kenetrek, Lowa, Scarpa, Asolo, Danner, and Hanwag. My favorite, however, are my Crispi Hunters. Been wearing them for the last 4 years and have nothing but positive things to say about them.

Poser

WKR
I currently am using the Zamberlan Guide 960 GTX and am very pleased. I put a ton of miles on them this year and they still look brand new. Very good boot and would highly recommend them to anyone.

I got a pair of these as well this year. -really loving them. They required only a single 3 mile break in and then were comfortable enough for the trail.

I like the European Meindl Dovres...they actually fit my unusually wide feet.

202243.jpg

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished up my sixth year hunting in my Meindls. That six years of elk and mule deer hunting in Idaho's Rocky Mountains. Can't believe how good of shape they're still in and have yet to have leakage issues which is a first for me for any boot this old. I am noticing a little slippage now from the worn down soles but that's to be expected after this amount of time. Very happy!

GKPrice

Banned
I've been using LOWA Tibet and the "Sheep Hunter" (I can't remember and new name for them right now, 400 gm) but recently I was at Home and Ranch in Kennewick and the CRISPI rep had a booth set up inside the store, he was VERY friendly and willing to answer questions and give try ons so I did and at least from inside a store on concrete, I liked what I saw and felt - I'm just wondering why CRISPI isn't on the list for the vote ?

Although I love my Hanwag Alaskans, they just didn't hold up. Both boots lost eyelets and left me skipping lacing points. These boots were purchased from L&S and those guys are great, great support and customer service. These are the most comfortable boots I had ever worn, but the boots just didn't meet my expectations as far as durability. I am now wearing a pair of Salewa Alp Trainers, just purchased them, they are very comfortable and I'll start doing short weekend hikes in them, but so far, they seem great.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although I love my Hanwag Alaskans, they just didn't hold up. Both boots lost eyelets and left me skipping lacing points. These boots were purchased from L&S and those guys are great, great support and customer service. These are the most comfortable boots I had ever worn, but the boots just didn't meet my expectations as far as durability. I am now wearing a pair of Salewa Alp Trainers, just purchased them, they are very comfortable and I'll start doing short weekend hikes in them, but so far, they seem great.

Interesting. Anyone else had issues with the durability of their Alaskans? My (women's version) pair have 3 seasons of decent mountain hunting on them, and while the wear is starting to be evident in the tread edges, the rands and eyelets are still going strong.

I've used La Sportiva Makalu's for years. Great boot and have held up surprisingly well for me. Also used the Lowa GTX Hunter and like them. The Lowa's are not as good in the gnarly stuff due to their more flexible sole. For hiking on the flats, the Lowa's are great though. Last year I used the Kuiu Zamberlan Pamir boots and they were my hands down favorite hunting boot to date. They fit amazingly well and were great in the gnarly stuff. The downside to the Kuiu Pamir's was that I totally thrashed the sole in the toe section. Kuiu was great and refunded all my money, but I was very disappointed to only see one season on these great boots before chinking out the toe section. I'm working on getting plastic boots to become my new go to mountain boot. I've tried on the Koflach Degre boots with the older Intuition liner, but they were too large. I ordered the next size down and they came with the newer liner that Koflach is using. The new liner is junk compared to the Intuition liner, so I returned them. Nobody has the older Intuition liners in my size, so I found a place in France named Palau that is making a thermo-form type liner like the Intuition style that gets very high marks. I'm hoping that the Palau in combination with my Scarpa Inverno boots will do the trick. If not, I have a pair of the new Scarpa Grand Dru GTX boots on pre-order with Kuiu. I've been happy with Scarpa in the past, but am concerned that the new Grand Dru boots are going to be too flexible in the sole for me. I prefer a rigid sole boot for tackling the steep stuff, so we'll see how they look in a few months.

1hoda

Banned
Lowe Tibet GTX HI. Best boots I've ever owned. Fit well, great support, comfortable. What more could I ask for? Sole insoles.

I got my first real mountain boots about 25 years ago and since then have probably owned close to 20 pairs. Meindl, Scarpa, Solomon, Vasque, LA Sportiva, Koflach, Raichle, Lowa, Hanwag, and I am sure there are a few in there that aren't coming to mind right now... My favorites of all of those were the old version(all leather) of the LA Sportiva Nepal Top and the Scarpa Cerro Torre(all leather as well). When both of those companies screwed up both of those boots by going to new designs, lighter weight materials, more stitching I went to the Hanwag Omegas and IMO these are the only boots on the market right now that compare to the old versions of those boots. I like them so much I bought two pairs as I wanted to get some years of service before Hanwag decides to go with the flow and screw up these boots as well.

This pair was pretty new here:

As far as I know there are only a small handful of guys using these in NA. Maybe someone can correct me on that if they know more... The first pair I ordered were a real PITA to get and at that time no one in Canada would bring them in for us. Once Lathrop and Sons figured out exactly what we wanted it got a bit easier. But as far as I know no one in NA stocks these and they are made once an order gets big enough to do a run of them, at least that is how it was with the last pair I ordered.

Backcountry in Fort St. John sell them ... They are a great late season boot, a little warm in August

Jon Boy

WKR
I running zamberlan tofanes. A solid boot that should last a long time. I'm not a fan of stiff boots but it seems to be what lasts the longest.

Hunthigh1

WKR
Asolo Fugitive for early season and summer scouting
Asolo TPS GV for everything else
Paired with a set of Green super feet insoles.

I am a big fan of my newish Kenetrek Hardscrabbles. Tried Lowa Renegades, fell apart in 6 months. Not very pleased considering they cost me $225