What is your muzzle loader for hunting in the mountains ?

River Rat

WKR
I'm looking at getting a muzzle loader for a mule deer hunt in Co.
I'm going to be backpacking in four miles to hunt.
Wanting to know what works you, and how much does it weight.
Thanks Coryell

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
my Kahnke weighs 7 pounds. I added 1/2 pound buckshot to stock so I could shoot heavy conicals and not have to look for my arm after each shot, so 7.5 now.

My T/C Encore 209x50 is 7.4 pounds.

I'm looking at getting a muzzle loader for a mule deer hunt in Co.
I'm going to be backpacking in four miles to hunt.
Wanting to know what works you, and how much does it weight.
Thanks Coryell

I know I am waiting for the new Knight Ultra Lite. It really should be an awesome rifle. One of the rifles I shoot now is the new Knight Mountaineer which is basically what the new Ultra Lite is but it weighs 6#

http://www.knightrifles.com/ultra-lite/

http://www.knightrifles.com/ultra-lite-muzzleloaders/

The prices Knight shows can be beat at one of their vendors... Example R&R Arms has them or will have them around $750

Last edited:
I shoot a T/C Black Diamond. We have pretty restrictive rules in WA for inline muzzleloaders and the Black Diamond was one of the only ones available when I bought it. Stainless, synthetic, right around 7 pounds. No optics or sling.

I run a knight mk85. Shes done me well. Basically the bighorns older brother

The MK-85 may well be one of the best ML's produced, certainly in the top 5! By todays standard it might be considered old, even a brand new Big Horn by todays standard might be considered somewhat inferior to new technologies, they are however very good simple machines that get the job done.

I have changed the sighting system up on mine to better more advantageous for myself. In Idaho we are required to you open sights during ML season

FPComposite.jpg

P1010003a.jpg

Maybe the only down side to the MK - Big Horn series is the wide open breech area that allows everything to drop right into the hammer channe - including snow abd rain. That is why I really prefer the DISC series rifle with a true bolt action. It limits the amount of the opening.

P1010014.jpg

OP
River Rat

River Rat

WKR
Thanks for all the reply's .
I'm looking at the( traditions Ultra Lite pursuit) at 5.15 lbs.