What is your tree setup?

IAHNTR

WKR
Just like to hear what others are running for their treestand setups.

Last year I picked up a Lone Wolf Alpha II and a set of 4 LW sticks. After a lot of contemplating between the LW and Muddy sticks I went with the LW due to them being longer and therefore needing 1 less to get to roughly the same height, being lighter and them moving their business back to the US (Muddy is overseas). I setup and took down this setup each time I hunted (roughly 25 times) and got pretty good at it.

Well, the gear junky in me picked up one Muddy stick a few weeks ago to run as my top step. I like the rope system on the Muddy and that it has steps on both sides of the stick. I will use the Muddy as the top step only and think it will make it safer when hanging the stand due to the added area to step on and that you can get both feet on the same level. I hope it works like I"m picturing in my head.

The Alpha stand might not be the most comfortable, but I'm young and usually only sit for about 4-5 hours at a time and stand quite a bit in the stand.

Before getting this setup I used a Summit climber a lot. Since getting the LW stand and sticks I haven't touched the climber. You can hunt any tree when using the sticks verse a straight tree with few limbs with the climber. I actually hunted a few Mulberry trees and you know how many limbs and crooked those things are.

A tip for those stick users out there is to paint the top of the steps, where you step, white to make it MUCH easier to see where the steps are when you are climbing down in the dark.

So, post what has worked or not for you and maybe someone will benefit from our experience.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
The lone wolf system is hard to beat. I have set many all day sits in mine, very comfortable. I use this if i am away from home. Now at home i am starting to use ladder stands for safety & ease of use.

"The lone wolf system is hard to beat."

That couldn't be further from the truth Rod... The Lone Wolf system is impossible to beat :) Especially when you get a few of the extra straps so you can have serveral trees all set up! The Lone Wolf hand climber is awesome too... Between that and the Alpha I couldn't be happier.

I own over 50 treestands...

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
Nick, are you talking about the strap that you put on the tree first to hang the stand from while you put one around the tree and on the Versa Button?

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
I mostly run lone wolf stands. I have a couple gorillas and muddy's that get hung and left for the season. My go to stand is a LW assault or Alpha depending on my mood and 5 muddy sticks. I dont think my LW sticks have been used since i tried the muddy sticks. Havent used a climber either since then either! lol I will say the hunt comfort seat LW now offers is AMAZING! I highly recommend it.

I really liked my muddy bloodsport when i had it. (someone stole it from the bed of my truck when i ran into the local archery shop to get another stand last year)For anyone wondering, nothing compares to the hangability and quietness of a LW. All of my muddy stands make small noises. Generally in the seat when i stand up or sit down and the platform will when it gets cold. The Gorillas noise is in the platforms mostly.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the LW Assault the past few seasons. I only have 3 steps with it, but I absolutely love the thing. I hunt a lot of public land and am very leary about leaving my stand up. This thing makes it possible to hunt just about anywhere. And I can't find a need for more than one stand when I have it.

I do like the concept of the muddy steps with the ropes. For those that use them with LW stands will they strap to the back of the stand like the LW steps? I really like being able to carry it all in on my back.

For private ground where you are comfortable leaving a stand up, I don't think the ladders can be beat. Safe and comfortable, and easy to get fairly high.

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
They will strap on, but I've found that if I stack them sideways against the stand and strap them on with those LW Kwick straps it works better and is wayyyy more streamlined. I can post pics if someone wants.

I have the Lone Wolf Assault with 4 Lone Wolf steps, and a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb with the Hazmore Silent Seat. Both work very well, quite comfortable, pretty lightweight, easy to set up and take down, and silent.

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
The Muddy step will fit/nestle on the LW sticks pretty good. I don't think that the Muddy sticks would mate directly to the stand though cause the length difference b/t the 2.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
They will strap on, but I've found that if I stack them sideways against the stand and strap them on with those LW Kwick straps it works better and is wayyyy more streamlined. I can post pics if someone wants.

Pics would be awesome. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the set-up and it would be nice to see.

Nick, are you talking about the strap that you put on the tree first to hang the stand from while you put one around the tree and on the Versa Button?

Yes sir! That is what I meant. Makes it real easy to stay mobile and for 12-14$ you have an "extra" stand! I spent a bunch of money on climbing sticks too, much better than screw in pegs that I used for years!

My cousin came to KS to hunt with me a year or two ago. I had the LW Hand climber and he had the LW Alpha with 3 sticks. We set up about 30 yards apart and we both reached our required height at about the same time. You really cannot go wrong with LW stands... The fact that they updated their seats is even more reason to spend your money on them. One and done, they won't fail you, they are quiet and lightweight... You can feel good about the money spent on them.

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
Pics would be awesome. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the set-up and it would be nice to see.

Ill get some pics up this evening. Hit up Eders.com and join the buyers club. (Free for military) It will EASILY pay for itself just off a purchase of sticks or a stand. They are under $200 for LW stands. Muddy sticks are under $120...

Eders.com... Man o Man... When I was back east hunting the elusive Whitetails, those boys at Eders were getting a lot of my money! I still buy arrows from them, great deals especially if you qualify for the discount.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had my LW and sticks out this past weekend trimming trees for a setup. The sticks are great to trimb limbs around your tree for shooting lanes. Can get just high enough pretty quickly. My dad was with me and I commented that the whole setup was one of the best hunting investments I have ever made. He agreed wholeheartedly.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I am a cheapo 15' ladder stand guy. Most of the trees we have a huge cottonwoods so Hang-ons are kind of a pain in the butt. Looks like everyone is big on the LW stands. I have always heard great things about them.

Lost Arra

FNG
For a stand I move regularly I like a Chippewa Wedge Loc. I use the Chief model.
On private land I place hangers in multiple trees.

I've got a LW that hangs easy but I don't like the platform cables meeting on the seat post so close together.
i stand up with my right leg against the tree most of the time and the cables don't leave much leg room especially wearing Muck boots.

+1 LW sticks but I also like Rapid Rails in areas that are muddy. Muddy boots and pointy steps in the dark give me the willies.

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
CritterGitter - Are those the rubbery straps that LW sells that you have strapping the muddy sticks to your stand in the first pic? If so, how do they work and would you recommend them?

Has anyone tried the LW foot rests? I also see that LW offers a much thicker padded seat on their website; has anyone tried this?

I wrapped my sticks in black koban and wrapped the metal buckles with hockey tape, cutting slits where need be. Keeps the noise way down. Went from a CLANG to a silent thud when the buckles would hit the stick.

What are you guys using for a pull up rope? Mine was always getting tangled and it REALLY pi$$ed me off. So, I made a pull up rope from an old chalk line box and 550 cord with the inside strands pulled out. Have yet to test it, but it should work decently.