What it is

Alrighty, today's what is it.

Found this over the holidays hiking on my land.

Background for the area
- the valley is generally the same families/bloodlines mines 1 or 2 small developments
-smelting during lead days of iowa
-have info going back to 1890s platting.
-no house is plotted in this spot, an old wells Fargo like trail is know to connect through here back in the 1860s ish.
-old stone depot .25-.5 miles as the crow flies from this location.

20221127_160535.jpg

All pieces found under this tree. Under. Under the roots, the base etc. All purposes, it seems the tree suddenly fell (as opposed to gradually) and this 'stove' must've been at its base

Anyway, more pics...20221127_160543.jpg20221127_160614.jpg20221127_141439.jpg20221127_130033.jpg

Only identifiable marks are "24 278" and " AT'D 1881"

I will get more pics up tonight, but looks like stove and embosser so far

Attachments

• 20221127_160600.jpg
    20221127_160600.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20221127_141436.jpg
    20221127_141436.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
T
Hahahah most definitely.

Should've clarified, any cast iron gurus have manufacturers name/best guess

BBob

WKR
The flat platen on the press doesn't look like a std rivet, eyelet or punch type press you'd normally see. Mby it was made for a specific product or process? It likely had separate dies that went with it for whatever it was designed for. With the proper dies I suppose it could still be any of the above.

packer58

WKR
The flat platen on the press doesn't look like a std rivet, eyelet or punch type press you'd normally see. Mby it was made for a specific product or process? It likely had separate dies that went with it for whatever it was designed for.
Yep, after looking at it one more time there are two holes in the plate that would accept a die/tool of some sort.

OP
T
The flat platen on the press doesn't look like a std rivet, eyelet or punch type press you'd normally see. Mby it was made for a specific product or process? It likely had separate dies that went with it for whatever it was designed for. With the proper dies I suppose it could still be any of the above.
Yep, after looking at it one more time there are two holes in the plate that would accept a die/tool of some sort.
If you look close at the barrel, looking up, it's hollow, meanwhile the plate is solid, so I scratched rivet or press/die, my wife suggested it looks like her embosser for envelopes, just super old.

After looking at them, looks more like a notary press with plates that fit in the respective mounting holes?

OP
T
Plan is to head out over the coming weeks to chainsaw the tree apart, and digging under it.

Just weird how the old crap is under and old fallen tree. Who would carry this stuff 400-500 yards in without it being for a house/shelter..still scouring for remnants of why it was there.

*and sending my buddy to duluths website

Don't know how prevalent in Iowa, but I'd venture a still site.

Not uncommon to have a small quarters cabin, thus the wood stove. Ash leftover from many runs.

*If* during prohibition, that's why it could be all destroyed. Being close, but not too close to a road was always beneficial.

But I don't know history of that area.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Great find. I love this kind of stuff, the story it could tell if it could talk.. No chance you found a date on it.

def90

WKR
Plan is to head out over the coming weeks to chainsaw the tree apart, and digging under it.

Just weird how the old crap is under and old fallen tree. Who would carry this stuff 400-500 yards in without it being for a house/shelter..still scouring for remnants of why it was there.

*and sending my buddy to duluths website

Back in the day people would just dump their garbage in the woods. You just found some ones dumping spot. The tree just happened to grow over the top of what's been laying there for decades.