What keep you motivated to work out this time of year?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As father time clicks along, it gets more difficult to get into shape and stay in shape. For me it is about staying in good enough condition in the off season to venture out snowshoeing, shed hunting or just hiking, knowing that I don't have to worry how far I go or how strenuous it may be, similar to hunting season. I want to enter the season knowing there is no real limit to the hunt, other than how far my joints will allow me to go. Many times this time of year it is just the mindset to get to the workout and once there I can relive a hunt in my mind or a strenuous day and that mindset gets me through the tedious time on the treadmill. Only 7.75 months until opening day of Elk Season

rhendrix

WKR
Pictures and stories keep me motivated. I spend a lot of time day dreaming about the next hunting season too...haha!

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
As I've gotten older (45) for me it's seeing the results if I don't work out. I can gain 10-20 lbs in the blink of an eye and it takes twice as long to take it off. Additionally can't just start working out in June like I used to and be elk ready by Sept.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me, it just seems like it is less work to maintain some semblance of decent shape during the off season than it is to have to "get back" the fitness that I would lose if I stopped. Sometimes, especially around the holidays, the miles at the indoor track or laps in the pool do seem tedious, but it seems like if I can just get there I usually enjoy the exercise once I get started. Spring and Summer backpack and scouting trips followed by a busy hunting season will be here before I know it, and I want to be able to hit the ground running then without wasting time getting back into shape--trips are so much more enjoyable when the getting there doesnt totally suck!

Also, I know that Luke will probably always be able to outhike, outclimb and outpack me but if I can stay in shape, it wont be by as much :)

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I actually like exercising working out. Doesn't take a lot to keep me there. Actually if I quit working out I don't feel near as good and that puts me back in the gym.

trkyslr

WKR
I actually like exercising working out. Doesn't take a lot to keep me there. Actually if I quit working out I don't feel near as good and that puts me back in the gym.

This^^^^^ plus im always trying to improve my shape to make my hunts easier come september. Working out has grown to be a habit in my life like sucking air,,, gotta have it. Mentally and physcially there is no off season.

tstowater

WKR
Fear.. always a great motivator. Fear of not being able to get to where I want to go or fear of getting there and being so spent that I don't enjoy the hunt. I find that when I am physically and mentally ready that the hunt is more fun regardless of whether there are dead animals. I will be 50 in March so it is harder to get in top shape and easier to loose conditioning. Sucks getting older.

chas

Lil-Rokslider
The fact the my 15 year old daughter just started dating and even though I am in shape, the reality has set in that I'm not that young any more. I’m that dad whose daughter I was chasing in high school, and thought guess what I’m doing tonight. At 6’2” and 210lb, I still try to install that “This guy could kick my a$$ factor.” Just hate the fact the she is growing up and I’m getting older. Just have to have trust she makes good choices. The fact that I hate my kids teasing me about being better atheletes is also a motivation. Not trying to be better, just still be in the game. I don't ever want to not be a good example of fitness, ect..

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
There are so many things you have absolutely no control over on a back country hunt. One thing you have complete control over is your conditioning. I never want to have to come home and think if I had been in a little better shape things may have been different. There is no excuse for that. Conditioning should be a non issue when you hit the mountain.

Jdog

WKR
I incorporated staying in shape as my daily routine several years ago...its part of my life. No exceptions.

I don't really have to ramp up to do hunts...maintain it year round with minor changes/tweaks to workouts and routines and diet.

AND I really like to eat! That's motivation enough.

You guys workout this time of year??? Pssshhhhh..... :)

I'm recently finally back up to my 'normal' 10% bodyfat weight of 165 lbs at 6'0" tall. At the end of hunting season, I was one lean skinny mofo at 155 lbs. Still in my mid twenties so I haven't really had the need to keep in shape year round... YET! This time of year I'm mainly concentrating on eating healthy, avoiding sugar, not drinking very much, and getting out to do some shed hunting this spring. This last October was the first time I've felt like I couldn't keep up with the mountains in unit 18 Idaho, but found out that was from the lack of refueling and proper diet rather than being "out of shape". Still really haven't hit a hunt yet where I felt I could've done more pre-season conditioning to help me be more successful.

Mike

c5mrr270

WKR
I've had a little trouble the last few weeks getting motivated so I finally decided I was going to go to the "boot camp" this morning that my co worker always talks about. It's a lot easier for me to be somewhere or get something done when I tell someone I'm going to do it. It was definitely a good work out but what is going to keep me motivated is the fact that I think he's in a little better shape than I am right now. He's in his mid fifties and I'm 27 so I cant let it that stay that way!

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
My motivation is looking at hunting photos and reading about everyone's experiences. I'm looking at heading out west(live in Ohio) in 2014 on a back country hunt. So currently I just keep telling myself "elk". Whenever I get a little tired I remind myself of the hunt and how its not going to be easy and I just need to push a little further, that extra mile/exercise could make the difference on the hunt.

Pretty simple: fat people motivate me....I don't want to be one, so I run and live a healthy life style.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty simple: fat people motivate me....I don't want to be onestand , so I run and live a healthy life style.
He ah that ...I used to be one ... I definitely started with the right thing 3 years ago . ( running) and it is not the only way but it definitely helps and the mental side of it from pushing your.self . At ultra distances has got me there .I have always thought about elk everyday,just now I stand a better chance against them!

Ray

WKR
This time last year I was one cheese burger and a coke away from being morbidly obese after a decade of Feeling sad for myself post divorce.

My mom died of complications of diabetes two years ago. I was starting to have health issues after being a "healthy active" fat guy. Then packing a caribou 100 yards nearly killed me. So much for being a healthy fat guy.

I found paleo this last May and it changed everything. Losing 50 pounds has allowed me that motivation to move and get into the gym to keep losing weight. I am lucky that there is a gym at the office and that it has everything I need. It's also not used as much as one would except. No crowds.

By spring I should be another 20 pounds lighter, and headed back into the mountains for the first time in a long time.