What kind of dog is this?

KsRancher

WKR
Any idea what kind of dog this is? It appears to have got dropped off at the grain elevator my dad works at. He has been neutered and you could tell he had a collar on by the way his neck looked. He showed up last Monday. I told my dad if he was around there by Saturday that we would take him. I don't particularly want a dog but my 7 year old daughter is just about to drive me crazy after seeing him.

We have only ever had one other dog. And it was the same deal it wandered into the Co-Op as a little bitty puppy with all of its ribs showing and most of its hair gone. It was the best dog we ever had.We had to put him down 3 years ago at the age of 11 because I heard him barking and whining one night and when I went to check on him a skunk had a hold of his back leg.I was able to kill the skunk and took it to the vet and it tested positive for rabies. He was the best dog I've ever seen. He never was on a chain or in a pen. We live on a fairly busy highway. And he would never go out near it. He would just stay on our back porch and in our yard. Except for when he had to poop and then he would walk out to the pasture behind the house to do his business. Never had dog poop in the yard.

This dog seems to have a really really good temperament. So I guess we are going to give it a try.

Attachments

• IMG_20220217_081611381.jpg
    IMG_20220217_081611381.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 877

Ucsdryder

WKR
Any idea what kind of dog this is? It appears to have got dropped off at the grain elevator my dad works at. He has been neutered and you could tell he had a collar on by the way his neck looked. He showed up last Monday. I told my dad if he was around there by Saturday that we would take him. I don't particularly want a dog but my 7 year old daughter is just about to drive me crazy after seeing him.

We have only ever had one other dog. And it was the same deal it wandered into the Co-Op as a little bitty puppy with all of its ribs showing and most of its hair gone. It was the best dog we ever had.We had to put him down 3 years ago at the age of 11 because I heard him barking and whining one night and when I went to check on him a skunk had a hold of his back leg.I was able to kill the skunk and took it to the vet and it tested positive for rabies. He was the best dog I've ever seen. He never was on a chain or in a pen. We live on a fairly busy highway. And he would never go out near it. He would just stay on our back porch and in our yard. Except for when he had to poop and then he would walk out to the pasture behind the house to do his business. Never had dog poop in the yard.

This dog seems to have a really really good temperament. So I guess we are going to give it a try.
With your daughter around be careful. Don’t trust a stray dog. Keep an eye on him around food, bones, or anything he thinks are “his”.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Take him to a vet and have them do a scan for a chip
Going to take him in on Monday and see about a chip and if don't come up with anything will get a couple of vaccines and haul him back home I guess

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
With your daughter around be careful. Don’t trust a stray dog. Keep an eye on him around food, bones, or anything he thinks are “his”.
👍we will make sure and be there while trying out everything with the daughter and him to see how they interact. If don't go well, he will be moved to a different home

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
One of the other guys at the elevator put out "found dog" ads on Facebook and some other local page with no responses. They seem to get a lot of strays/drop offs at the co-op. It's in a REALLY small town. Less than 60 people. And about 10 miles from a bigger town (7,000 people). I think people drive out there from the bigger town and drop off the unwanted.

My dad hauled a dog home from there about 5yrs ago. It was a great dog. But a few months later he unfortunately ran it over leaving for work one morning.

grfox92

WKR
If you can see if he has black spots on the roof of his mouth or tongue, he looks alot like a pitbull, cur mix to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
If you can see if he has black spots on the roof of his mouth or tongue, he looks alot like a pitbull, cur mix to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks. Will look when we go pick him up this evening.

Jbehredt

WKR
Could ask the vet for a dna test if you’re really curious. This one seemed spot on for my dog. Explained the short legs on the otherwise pit bull looking thing.
b1a2c7aac864cbcc83245cb7c6c41a3f.jpg

Agree with those that say some kind of red heeler mix. Sometimes mutts are the best dogs. I’d just watch him close around the kids for a while. We took in a stray once, took him to the vet & all. He seemed great until he grabbed my 6 year old daughter by the back of the neck. Had to take him out and shoot him… at the daughters request. It was a bummer but had to be done. Didn’t want to risk giving him to someone else and him ending up hurting or killing a kid. I feel sick to my stomach when I think of what could have happened had my wife been in another room.

Last edited: