What kind of dog is this?

TheGDog

WKR
Also... working breeds like that... Cattle dogs, Border Collies and such.. they NEED to be given work. If you don't regularly give him work (teach him stuff and go thru having him execute for you) they'll FIND isht to you.. and the isht they find to do? Will NOT make you happy. Ya know.. "idle hands" and such.

Those Cattle dogs are VERY smart and take WELL to training. I've seen em pull off AMAZING training routines. We had this young lady at the local dog park that had two, and she really invested the time into training them, and MAN that was impressive!

did anybody suggest one of those invisible fences with the shock collar? Never used one but I hear they work. I think there is some training involved so they understand what the shock is about.

cjdewese

WKR
Others have you pretty well covered here. Good on you for taking it in and trying your best. Some dogs just don't like to be stationary and enjoy the run.

Sounds like he is on his way though and your family is working to make it happen. Congrats and good luck.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
After my wife sent me this pic of the dog making sure he wasn't left out of the back to school photo of the kids. I figured I would post it up. The dog is great. He knows when my daughter leaves. And when he hears a vehicle pull in, he comes around and gives it a look to see if it's her. If it is, he waits at her door for her to get out and play.

Attachments

• Resized_20220817_174056.jpeg
    Resized_20220817_174056.jpeg
    753.8 KB · Views: 151

ethan

WKR
Looks like he’s got catahoula in him to me to. We had a couple when I was a kid and my dad has one now. Not overly smart, but really loyal and very protective of their family.

After my wife sent me this pic of the dog making sure he wasn't left out of the back to school photo of the kids. I figured I would post it up. The dog is great. He knows when my daughter leaves. And when he hears a vehicle pull in, he comes around and gives it a look to see if it's her. If it is, he waits at her door for her to get out and play.
Looks like he has settled in, good for him and good for your kids especially the girl, my bet is she has nothing to worry about when the pooch is near.

Heartwarming update OP, thanks for posting and congrats!

Yarak

WKR
That’s a Heinz 57 if I ever saw one and will probably make a good dog if you can teach him to stay at home
Someone probably dumped the dog instead of rehoming him
I live in a area where this is common and we always call the county dog catcher when we have a stray hanging around
We have two and don’t need anymore dogs