What kitchen items for a Wedding Registry?

ColtyJr

Lil-Rokslider
Starting to form a wedding registry what kitchen items could you not live without?

If I could do it again I’d get one, maybe two, nice kitchen knives. A standard butcher for sure and maybe a boning or filet but those are easier to come by. A whole set of knives in a knife block just takes up valuable space on the counter and they don’t all get regular use.

Kitchenaid mixer
Meat grinder
Vac sealer
Large aluminum sheet pans
Cast iron enamelware Dutch oven (Le Cruset, etc)
Instant pot
Immersion blender
Mandolin
Deep fryer maybe but could use the Dutch oven
Nice big cutting boards
Burr coffee grinder

That’s the stuff in my kitchen off the top of my head that gets regular use

BBob

WKR

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
For a variety of price points:
- Thermoworks Thermapop or Thermapen
- Victorinox Chef's knife
- Enamel Dutch oven (Le Creuset if you're feeling fancy, Lodge if you're not)
- KitchenAid stand mixer

My wife and I still regret getting talked into china.

Austink47

WKR
I would seriously think about a set of new west knife works. The 6” petty knife is the most useful knife I have ever used. I hate the plain Jane knife set we got for our wedding and now I am stuck with it because “we got it for our wedding” if you are going to ask for knives go BIG. Oh and congrats on the engagement.

tdot

WKR
I agree with the above. One good chef's knife, a good petty and you are golden for 99% of what you need to do. I prefer Japanese knives, not Shun. Some of the german knives, such as Victorinox or Wusthof are great too. Just ask for mid tier and up. Their cheap knives are not typical of the brands anymore. A bread knife and a boning knife are good additions but can be $30 blades from Victorinox kitchen line of knives.

Personally I'd stay away from the large sets of Stainless pots/pans too. I've settled on 2 Carbon steel pans, 12" & 10", De Buyer is a good name, as are any of the French brands. Then a couple of enameled Cast Iron dutch ovens 8qt and 5qt and a matching saute pan. My All Clad pots are used as a drum set by my 2 year old more then I cook in them.

Kamado Joe Jr. Best little bbq on the market, you can do everything with that little thing and its 1/3 of the price of the next size up.

Kitchenaid stand mixer. Pick your model/colour. Even the lower end one is solid.

If you process your own meat, I'd recommend a good 3/4hp+ grinder before anything else. Chamber Vac is a luxury. Grinder is a necessity.

I still eat off the Ikea plates and cutlery I bought when I bought my first apartment 18 years ago. No need to splurge there, IMO.

Go on the America's Test Kitchen website, Youtube and magazine, any of the small thing you need in a kitchen, they've probably tested. I don't waste time anymore and if I need something I check in with them, and buy their recommendation. I've been 100% satisfied with their choices.

Congrats on the engagement, it's a wild ride!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use a good cutting board and knives every day. We've put together our own set of forged Wusthoff knives over the years and have multiples of some as they get used so much. I tend to clean my knives immediately after use, but my wife does not. So I need extras to make sure I have a clean one all the time. Same goes for the cutting boards.......we have two large ones and two smaller ones. The small ones are still about 12"x16".

Multiple fry pans........multiple sauce pans........multiple sizes of stock pots......some of these get used daily as well. There's a lot of crap out there these days though. I'd rather have old SS with copper bottom sauce pans from the thrift store than junk coming out of China. I also avoid aluminum pots/pans and a lot of the nonstick ones.

A simple to use can opener is a must, as is a potato peeler, pizza cutter, tongs (multiples again), wooden spoons, large SS mixing spoons and bowls, good spatulas (hard to find the right one these days), hand mixer, Kitchenaid stand mixer, Pyrex 9x9's and 9x13's, simple plates and bowls, drinkware, silverware, coffee cups/mugs, coffee maker, Vitamix, crock pot, storage containers, microwave, toaster, oven mitts, etc.

I use most of the above routinely, if not daily or even multiple times daily. Also, don't forget the grill for the back patio.........another item that gets used a LOT.

Gorp2007

WKR
If you’re into homemade pizza, a pizza steel is great and (IMHO) far superior to a pizza stone for the home cook.

For cutting boards, get some big ones that fit into a half or full commercial sheet pans, then get a few commercial sheet pans. It’s great for resting and cutting meat without anything dripping on the counter.

WRM

WKR
Blanc Creative carbon skillets. They live on my stove.

At least a 6 quart Dutch oven, and you may wish you went bigger. I prefer Staub.

Good knives, as noted. I have some older Ken Onion design Shuns and likely will never need to replace them. Also have several Globals, and they are a good option at a lesser cost than the current Shuns. I have a couple of Shun "Chef Knives" and they get little use. I'd go look at some in a store, if possible, and specify the SKU you like best. You can certainly get started with 2-3 knives you like and feel you actually will use. Don't overlook Dexter knives. If you need to fill in your collection on the cheap for a bit, they make a wide variety of styles and they are perfectly serviceable knives. Our local restaurant supply store carries a ton of their styles.

Chefs Choice knife sharpener. Makes keeping sharp the kitchen (and other knives) a quick and precise task.

Avoid wasting money on "china and silver" if that's still a thing. My first wife and I never used the china. Current wife and I have for 20 years used a set of white William Sonoma plates and bowls and Pottery Barn SS utensils (If you get one set you like, buy another set before they discontinue it--you'll appreciate having more than one set).

If you need to "fancy up" the white plates, get some inexpensive chargers to go under them. Great to dress things up for holidays and whatnot, but you don't end up with "show" dinnerware you'll likely never use.

Last edited:

bluumoon

WKR
I use my 12" cast iron more that almost any other pan, I would spring for a nice one that is already ground smooth. It'll last, I think mine is 90-100 years old.

Cast Iron- small, medium, and large fry pans.
Large deep sided fry pan with lid
and a large Dutch oven.
Pressure Cooker- The biggest you can find for
canning and making stock
and broths. Also one in the
8 to 12 qt range for cooking,
Pressure cookers are the
original fast cookers.
Meat Grinder- A hand grinder will last forever and
cleans up quick for small jobs.
These are items that when I moved out on my own I thought were archaic and would never own. After my mother passed away I inherited hers. They have become a staple in my kitchen and I will purchase them for my kids when they start a family.

WRM

WKR
Second on the pressure cooker. 50 years ago, my grandma's cooker used to scare the hell out of me. Now they all have safeties and you can not "blow them up" (at least not by cooking). I have Fisslers, but there are several good brands. Amazing what you can do with one if you spend a little time reading how to cook with it.

Squirrels

WKR
Good knives, and then lock them in a drawer so your wife can’t use them. And when I say use, I refer to her using them as prybars, screwdrivers, saws on plastic, or any other way a person could use something for anything other than it’s intended purpose.