What knife does everyone carry?

Manakh

FNG
I have high end wet stones and diamonds so I'm not afraid of some of the more difficult steels out there.
For game and/or fish I use these primarily.

Benchmade altitude

Dragon fire 6" boning knife- don't carry it but I will return with it after the first load, the bd1n maybe gets 90% as sharp as other finer grained steels but good God way way way longer between sharpenings compared to literally any other boning knife I've used with that 63 rockwell it has. Pain in the ass to sharpen without specialized stones or diamonds.

Masahiro 9.5" fish fillet knife- common in japanese fish markets for breaking down entire fish like tuna, it's not a traditional fillet shape more of a butcher shape. This steel has higher carbon and will get crazzzzzy sharp, not for fine cutting jobs but has plenty of uses for me. Gotta wipe down and dry to prevent rust as it's not as rust resistant as some other steels, but the trade for sharpening ease and how sharp it gets is worth it.

WyoKid

WKR
Spyderco mostly...stretch, caribbean, dragon fly, endura, clipit tool...

Nobody with a Randall?

Last edited:

bird35

FNG
I have a bit of a knife obsession also. I switch it up every couple weeks, i have a large rotation. I have some benchmade, spyderco, ZT and coldsteel. Lately i have been rotating between a benchmade Presidio 2, spyderco shaman and a zt 0220. For fixed blade i like the esee , tops and kabar i have to be a bit more careful to keep from getting rust on them with the 1095 steel.

Chris Reeves large Sebenza is my favorite to carry but my folding Craftsman razor utility knife get more use.

DLP

FNG
I am usually carrying a McCroskey custom made knife when I am out hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oseary

FNG
My daily carry rotates between a Magpul Rigger (first release) and Winkler F1 flipper. In the backcountry it’s a Winkler Field Knife for camp use and Kestrel Ovis hunter for game.
Do you think you would be happy using the Winkler Field Knife for game (assuming went without the Ovis)?

I currently run with a Mora, but I’m looking at investing in the Field Knife and wondering how it would do as a primary hunting knife, or if the size of it would make it a pain for some tasks, or skinning. Hoping not, because I like the look of it and feel in hand. Thanks for any input you have.

Do you think you would be happy using the Winkler Field Knife for game (assuming went without the Ovis)?

I currently run with a Mora, but I’m looking at investing in the Field Knife and wondering how it would do as a primary hunting knife, or if the size of it would make it a pain for some tasks, or skinning. Hoping not, because I like the look of it and feel in hand. Thanks for any input you have.
The Winkler field knife is a big knife and more of a "camp" knife - it would work, but wouldn't be optimal for game processing IMO... I would look at the belt knife of blue ridge hunter first if you wanted a Winkler. FYI - Winkler's are great knives, but very thick behind the edge... cutting performance will not be amazing unless you thin them out a lot. great knives - I have had 4 (field, 2 belts, and a woodsman) but have ended up moving on from all 4 as they are just thicker then what I want in a hunting blade.

YMMV

mcseal2

WKR
I am always searching for the perfect hunting knife. My favorite for game processing is still my Dozier Pro Guide. I mentioned on a forum that my perfect knife would be that Pro Guide in tougher 3V steel. A knife maker read my comment and is making me one. I’m excited to see how it turns out.

I asked Dozier about making me one before but they weren’t interested. I didn’t figure they would, they are backed up for years as it is.

rootacres

WKR
EDC and in my pocket on hunts - Benchmade 940 Osborne

Ive been really liking the Havalon's for processing out critters though

The Field Knife’s dimensions don’t lend itself well to process game specifically as others mentioned, but makes for an awesome camp knife. If you are after a Winkler for use on game and for smaller camp tasks, the Blue Ridge Hunter is a good multi use blade that I have enjoyed carrying into the backcountry many times…

Totoro

WKR
William Henry for dressier days or discreet inside pocket carry

EDC Hinderer XM or Dozier

Playing outside, Dozier all day-everyday