what knife

bnsafe

WKR
what knife do you guys run. I currently have a cutco and love it, but may give it to my son. I want something decent but not break the bank. No folding knives, and I dont think I want replacement blades although may be talked into that. What brands or steel should I be looking at

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
cutco is the only knife i have every used that can do an entire elk in the field without sharpening. keep it.

TN2shot07

WKR
I run a bench made steep country, not the new one. I love the orange handle and the blade size/profile. My only complaint was the sheath and I had a new kydex one made, now it’s about perfect for my uses.

Scrappy

WKR
The only reason a person would carry anything other than this is to be able to say how cool they are because they carry some cool name knife. There is nothing out there that will do any better than a $2.50 disposable handle and a few 60A blades. Prove me wrong.Screenshot_20210704-134351_Photos.jpg

Rainier Knives is a great value for what you get. He has a sale every so often that puts the fastpak sub $100. It is worth the look.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only reason a person would carry anything other than this is to be able to say how cool they are because they carry some cool name knife. There is nothing out there that will do any better than a $2.50 disposable handle and a few 60A blades. Prove me wrong.View attachment 304247
Won't get any arguments out of me. Used a Havalon since they came out........and love em.

Randy

I've used a few different Bark River knives on deer, elk and moose and all have performed well.

Older tool steels like 1095, O1, A2 and D2 are tough and take and hold an edge well while not being difficult to resharpen. D2's chromium gives it good corrosion resistance as well. 440C is a traditional stainless used by a lot of manufacturers.

Modern super steels like 154, S30V and S35VN keep a sharper edge longer but can be harder to keep sharp and may require more than just a traditional whetstone.

Right now I'm making a shameless copy of a Chris Reeve Nyala put of S35VN

tuk

FNG
I wasn’t aware cutco made knives other than for the kitchen witch I have a set of. I carry sog knives. I use an escape for work and seal Xr for edc. depending on how old your kid is and how like he is to lose a knive. I might give him a $10 got from the gas station knife to start with.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
looking like cutco is the way to go. I have had 2. one broke my fault and I told them that, they sent me a knew one free.

TX_Diver

WKR
If you're not a cut your toothbrush in half lightweight kinda guy the outdoor edge swingblaze is hard to beat for around $50. I've had mine for almost 10 years and love it.

I carried an EDC lite with an extra blade and the Iron Will K1 knife last year. Probably carry the same this year since I spend a lot more time walking around than actually cutting up elk... but I really like the swingblaze too.

TX_Diver

WKR
On sale from a site sponsor w/ free shipping. There's a code for another 10% off too from the forum you can find.

Go buy it.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Don't run with knives... period. That's how you get stabbed!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ha! I was thinking it.....

The other day I read a thread where a guy was “running” a truck bed cover. It is truly endless!!

The only reason a person would carry anything other than this is to be able to say how cool they are because they carry some cool name knife. There is nothing out there that will do any better than a $2.50 disposable handle and a few 60A blades. Prove me wrong.View attachment 304247
How do like those gut hook blades? Seems like they'd work great but I haven't had a chance to try them.

Scrappy

WKR
How do like those gut hook blades? Seems like they'd work great but I haven't had a chance to try them.
They work great at unzipping an animal, but I'm thinking of ditching them due to the amount of hair it cuts. Seems it doesn't matter which way you run it it cuts the hair.