what knife

Cutco fan here as well. Was gifted one, and I was less than excited, but that knife holds up. Big honkin rubber grip and all. Have a victorinox 10” breaking knife for….breaking things down. Tote (not run) a hogue mini rsk that has cleaned up a lot of whitetails as well.

Jakerex

WKR
cutco is the only knife i have every used that can do an entire elk in the field without sharpening. keep it.

I always thought cutco was only kitchen knives…..the ones that dude goes door to door selling. Hahaha. Beats the chit out of me.

I’ve had good luck with kershaws, 1040 and 1050, as well as an old parker k226.

TX_Diver

WKR
I bagged up a cow elk (gutless) with a Little Vickie just to show my buddies it could be done as easily as with an expensive knife

Those are great. A taxidermist turned me onto those. He used it to cape out an antelope. I'm not sure I'd want it as a knife in the field unless I carried a sharpener. They do bend easily too, but for $7 it's worth having as an option!

Buck #192 Vanguard with the rubber handle. The wood handle is prettier, but the rubber handle has proven not to get too slippery when covered in blood. The factory sheaths are pitiful. Made my own rawhide sheaths. Keeps a edge and sharpens well. It is a good hunting knife. Not a Bushcraft knife. Has served me well. My last one got stolen, happened to leave the truck unlocked one night and darn teenage kids took it. I was really fond of that knife had it for at least 30+ years. So I got a new one & made another new rawhide sheath.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
Check out ESEE knives, specifically the ESEE-3. There's many variations of handle types and blade materials to suit your needs. Quality knives that are made in the U.S.

ElkNut1

WKR
Get a knife that you feel comfortable with in your hand, brand is irrelevant. I've broken near 50 elk down with a fold up buck knife & many others with a variety. All work that are razor sharp!!! Not fall into the high priced brand trap, no need! Good luck on your super special hunts!

ElkNut

CoStick

WKR
The only reason a person would carry anything other than this is to be able to say how cool they are because they carry some cool name knife. There is nothing out there that will do any better than a $2.50 disposable handle and a few 60A blades. Prove me wrong.View attachment 304247
I had a close call when I dropped one and it stuck into my thigh. I also don’t like packing out the broken blades. I have since used a argali. Can do whole elk, no blades to carry out and don’t have same concern as having an accident with a scalpel. Touch the knife up with a leather strop and ready for next elk.

WAKAN

FNG
Second the Esee recommendation. Lost my benchmade and went to buy another...saw the esee lineup. On par or better quality for less $$ than bm. I went with a Esee 4

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The only reason a person would carry anything other than this is to be able to say how cool they are because they carry some cool name knife. There is nothing out there that will do any better than a $2.50 disposable handle and a few 60A blades. Prove me wrong.View attachment 304247

Depends. A knife is for more than just processing game in the backcountry. I have personally used one to make a crutch and not sure my partner would have made the three miles back to the trail head before nightfall without it.

While I have never needed a fire for survival, in wet conditions a knife capable of battoning is essential for wood prep.

In the good natured spirit of trading barbs. The only reason a person would not carry a knife capable of light battoning is because they are irresponsible and expect someone else to help them if things go south. Prove me wrong.

Sorry, could not help myself.

Scrappy

WKR
Depends. A knife is for more than just processing game in the backcountry. I have personally used one to make a crutch and not sure my partner would have made the three miles back to the trail head before nightfall without it.

While I have never needed a fire for survival, in wet conditions a knife capable of battoning is essential for wood prep.

In the good natured spirit of trading barbs. The only reason a person would not carry a knife capable of light battoning is because they are irresponsible and expect someone else to help them if things go south. Prove me wrong.

Sorry, could not help myself.
Scalpel is for processing your leatherman is for all other things that might happen in the backcountry. 😀😀

Wapiti1

WKR
A nearly 40 year old Japan made Kershaw blade trader. I have dressed and/or quartered nearly 100 animals with that setup. I got a new one a couple of years ago to see and it is decent, but the knife blade doesn't hold an edge quite as long. It will still do an elk in one shot, but gets a bit tired on that last quarter.

I have a nice collection of other knives and some are high end steels, but the Kershaw is what goes in the pack.

Jeremy

The only reason not to is if you are using the same knife for multiple things. I used my Kershaw folder last year for half an elk and 2 deer, used it for everything else around camp too. It definitely needed sharpened up after the deer but why carry two or more knives?

Coolness is minuscule compared with the practicality of a functional tool. A disposable bladed knife serves a temporary purpose. Which it does to an extent. I’ll carry one knife. However, it can have multiple uses in the event it’s needed. As mentioned before, it all depends on the importance you place on your tools.

I'm a no-frills mostly guy that believes in the efficiency of tools that serve multiple purposes. However, although i have several knives, there wasn't one that did everything I wanted it to do or had the perfect mix of handle geometry, blade length, and steel that I wanted. Some guys spend a thousand or more on a rifle, shotgun, or crossbow, but I chose to spend a lot of money (to me anyways) on a custom knife.

Working with Tyler Hackbarth of Wolf River Forge, we designed a knife that can do it all for me for $500. This is an heirloom-quality 100% handmade blade that started from alternating hand stacked raw steel that I'll be able to pass down to my kids and grandkids. It's made from 200 layer damascus steel using 1084 and 15N20. It has a rain drop pattern and is as beautiful as it is functional. The coolest part is that he created a new line of knives in his lineup from our design and called it the Infidel. I have #001 and it is engraved into the blade. The sheath is also 100% handmade and sewn in his shop.

So far I have cleaned pheasants, rabbits, and 2 whitetails with the knife. It sharpens easily to a wicked sharp edge, and holds the edge very well. A few strokes from my worksharpe field sharpener or leather strop, and its good to go. Being made of exclusively high carbon steels, it does require immediate rinsing and occassional oiling returns the original luster.

The spine of the knife is thick and strong enough for batoning and makes short work of kindling.61791863712__5E2C9507-D220-4632-8A68-B2DBD2B3141F.jpgIMG_2152.JPG