what knife

I'm a no-frills mostly guy that believes in the efficiency of tools that serve multiple purposes. However, although i have several knives, there wasn't one that did everything I wanted it to do or had the perfect mix of handle geometry, blade length, and steel that I wanted. Some guys spend a thousand or more on a rifle, shotgun, or crossbow, but I chose to spend a lot of money (to me anyways) on a custom knife.

Working with Tyler Hackbarth of Wolf River Forge, we designed a knife that can do it all for me for $500. This is an heirloom-quality 100% handmade blade that started from alternating hand stacked raw steel that I'll be able to pass down to my kids and grandkids. It's made from 200 layer damascus steel using 1084 and 15N20. It has a rain drop pattern and is as beautiful as it is functional. The coolest part is that he created a new line of knives in his lineup from our design and called it the Infidel. I have #001 and it is engraved into the blade. The sheath is also 100% handmade and sewn in his shop.

So far I have cleaned pheasants, rabbits, and 2 whitetails with the knife. It sharpens easily to a wicked sharp edge, and holds the edge very well. A few strokes from my worksharpe field sharpener or leather strop, and its good to go. Being made of exclusively high carbon steels, it does require immediate rinsing and occassional oiling returns the original luster.

The spine of the knife is thick and strong enough for batoning and makes short work of kindling.View attachment 304689View attachment 304690
Upswept point. As a bladesmith, I have many customers that chose to spend their money on a quality knife and handmade sheath as well. It’s a tool that you cannot do without and it has many more functions than a disposable scalpel. Good spine, proper grind and correct edge geometry. Like you did, specify your needs and let the bladesmith work on the design. Pass it on down to your kids. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
The only reason a person would carry anything other than this is to be able to say how cool they are because they carry some cool name knife. There is nothing out there that will do any better than a $2.50 disposable handle and a few 60A blades. Prove me wrong.View attachment 304247
Those things look like a pregnancy test...Congrats, its a boy! Seriously tho, they look handy. I have not seen a gut hook style blade like that and will definitely be finding some.

Last edited:

Scrappy

WKR
Those things look like a pregnancy test...Congrats, its a boy! Seriously tho, they look handy. I have not seen a gut hook style blade like that and will definitely be finding some.
"Replaceable blade skinning knives and hunting knives by Havalon Knives. Piranta Gut Hook 3-Pack" https://www.havalon.com/gut-hook-3-pk-w2-blade-hlds-in-clam
You can do multiple animals with one blade.
"Replaceable blade skinning knives and hunting knives by Havalon Knives. #8P Economy Plastic Scalpel Handle" https://havalon.com/8p-handle-plastic

sndmn11

WKR
I re-sharpen those gut hooks they work so well. I especially like it because it keeps the blade that touches the meat and inner hide clean of urine, mud, bacteria, whatever else is on the hair and outer hide.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider