What knives do you carry on your hunt?

What knives do you carry hunting?

• Total voters

Zdub02

WKR
What differences have you noticed between those 2 grades of steel? I like the look of their meatcrafter which is CPM-154 and I like a little flex for processing.

Can't really speak to the S30V yet as I've only processed a few turkeys with it but its still shaving sharp from the factory. The 154 is a good steal and easy to sharpen. I always touched it up after processing deer but I don't believe the edge retention is as good as the S30V which is the main reason I switched. I have no complaints from either knife and hope to put the bugout through the paces soon to really test it

All this fancy steel…. I carry an old Cold Steel master hunter. I suppose it’s made out of fancy steel too. It’s occasionally pressed into service for breaking bones chopping wood and spreading butter. It’s very heavily built, and I don’t mind batonning it through a 4 inch round of wood to split it. I found it about seven years ago In a wilderness area, Kind of rusted up and buried under some leaves … while I was gathering firewood. I use a Havalon for skinning.

robtattoo

WKR
All this fancy steel…. I carry an old Cold Steel master hunter. I suppose it’s made out of fancy steel too. It’s occasionally pressed into service for breaking bones chopping wood and spreading butter. It’s very heavily built, and I don’t mind batonning it through a 4 inch round of wood to split it. I found it about seven years ago In a wilderness area, Kind of rusted up and buried under some leaves … while I was gathering firewood. I use a Havalon for skinning.

Oh man. That's one of my all time favorite factory knives. I spent years looking for one of the VG10 San Mai models. Finally found one 2 years ago (No.132 of 500) for a, frankly, embarrassing amount of money. I'm struggling to bring myself to take it afield simply because of its cost! I have the regular version & it's one of my 2 all time favorite camping/bushcraft/outdoor blades, the other being a horrifically abused Enzo Camper.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
What differences have you noticed between those 2 grades of steel? I like the look of their meatcrafter which is CPM-154 and I like a little flex for processing.
Cpm 154 and 154cm are two different steels. Cpm is a powdered steel and the elements are more homogeneous, which makes the carbides finer. Basically just a superior version of the same steel. Cpm 154 is an excellent stainless steel. Not the highest edge retention in the stainless category, but fairly high toughness.

More balanced than s30v.

bwp

Lil-Rokslider
Whitetail hunting I carry the Elk Hunter by knives if Alaska and a Havalon.

I keep an Aragli carbon knife in the kill kit and spyderco para 3 in the pocket.

Same here oddly enough.

Not a big fan of the replaceable scalpel knives as they’re sharp enough to do real damage if you slip and subject to breakage if side loaded.

A quality fixed blade and folder combo seems to be a good combo.

mrbananas

FNG
A short heavy bladed bench-made. Give you something for digging through the joints that won’t break.

Travis907

WKR
I really like replaceable blade knives for skinning and gutting and my go to for that is a Havalon.
For other tasks I carry an ANZA fixed blade which holds and incredible edge and a small folding saw!

rideold

WKR
I've settled on a fixed or folding drop point hunting knife and a boning knife like the one I keep in my kitchen. I used to carry two boning knives but it's nice to have the heavier bladed hunting knife in my opinion.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Ironwill K1.

I used to carry a few but now have enough confidence in this knife as a do all. It handles whole elk no problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mossing

FNG
I carry on old gerber that I had a custom Kydex sheath made for. Blade is super easy to sharpen and easy to clean. And most of the work is done on a kestrel replaceable blade knife

Holocene

WKR
#1) As much as I hate Made in China, a Havalon Piranta goes with me on every hunting and fishing trip. From bull elk to trout and quail, it is light and beautifully simple.

#2) Benchmade Steep Country is holstered on my pack as a secondary knife and for that moment my wife has imagined -- when a mountain lion or that bear from Backcountry comes to get me.

#3) Screwpop Ron's EDM knife with Dewalt roofing blades. Years ago in SC, I used to watch the deer processor boys skin a whitetail in seconds with something like this and a Sawzall. Tried it out this year and like it.