What length barrel are you running suppressed?

Per title:
What caliber and barrel length are you running with a suppressor?

What are your hunting goals with it?

After using it a while, happy with your decision or how would change if did it again?

What bullet are you running and do you have self-imposed max range limits for specific game you're hunting with it?

cheers

s

Last edited:

HuntnPack

WKR
Getting a 20” #4 Bartlein Carbon for my
Sherman 6.5 MAX. Will run my 6” Jäger suppressor that is a recessed model & only adds 4-1/2” To the barrel length.
Loading 124 HH or 123 Absolutes.
Should make a handy backpacking rifle.

Last edited:

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
22" 7 SAUM. I have a 9" Thunderbeast can and plan on getting the Ultra 7 Gen 2.
I hunt with it unless weight is a major concern then I will use a brake and ear pro.

16” 6.5 Grendel with a Silencerco Omega. I hunt everything with it so far, but have only put down deer and coyotes.

fatbacks

WKR
18” 300 wsm being assembled now. Running with Nomad 30 Ti

Objective will be all game in Alaska minus coastal brown bears. I realize there will be range limitations as velocity falls off with shorter barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L
Very cool. This is great reference for the many folks getting into running a can, myself included.

Considering that almost everyone so far seems to have cut a good bit off their barrels, just added a question:

What bullet are you running and do you have self-imposed range limits for specific game you're hunting with it?

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
16” 223 AR for fun and prairie dogs
17” 204 for P/Song dogs
21” 243 for pronghorn on down
18” 6.5 Grendel for deer hunting in a blind
24” 7-08 that’s about to be hacked down to 18” for Elk on down the purposes previously listed. I thought the extra velocity in a longer barrel would be nice but it’s downright obnoxiously unwieldy at 24”.

i wouldn’t do a 204 with a short pipe again... kinda defeats the purpose of the round. A guy might as well just go with a 223 and find more reloading options and components (when it’s not a pandemic/election year/BLM riot/overall societal unrest)

Attachments

• 0700FB63-2513-46E1-987A-5D12D05DFF1B.jpeg
    0700FB63-2513-46E1-987A-5D12D05DFF1B.jpeg
    445.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
I tried to run with a twenty four incher but I tripped on it. Looking to have my gunsmith chop off a couple inches before next season.

16 inch 308 win and 24 inch 300 wm. Wish I went 20 or 22 inches for the 300. Just put together the 308, but both are lightweight all around(ish) alaska rifles. Tbac ultra 7 on both. 308 is 7.5 pounds suppressed and 300 is close to 9. I also have a marlin 45-70 I just had cut to 16 and threaded and will run a griffin bushwhacker on it at some point. Moose and bear for that one in the brushier country.

Antares

WKR
20” .308 Tikka (PROOF CF barrel) with a GEMTECH Tracker, shooting 150 TTSX @ 2775

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
26" 7 Sherman Short Mag with YHM Nitro 30 hunt anything in lower 48 for wide open west, backpacking

22" 6 BRA with same Nitro 30 hunt deer in wide open west, backpacking

.308/.243/6 cm barrels to spin on all between 16 and 20 for blinds, dark timber, close encounters under 400

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
18" 6.5 creed, cut down xbolt from 22"
22" 6.5 creed
20" 7-08
22" 280, cut down rem from 24"
20" 300 savage, cut down rem from 24"
I use tbac ultra 7s. 22" is absolutetly the longest barrel I can stand with a can in the woods. Really don't give up much performance losing a couple inches, in the case of the 18" creed I got all of it back using rl26. Don't feel that short barrels have any influence on my max range, bore size and critter size do. I primarily use noslers on my food, sometimes monos when my daughter is using her creed on big food. Before I started shooting suppressed all my rifles had 24" tubes, now I feel like 18-20" is about right

JP100

WKR
17" .243 Gunworks can
18" .308 Gunworks can
21" 300wsm DPT can(get 300fps with 180s)

then we also have(family rifles)

18" .223 with gunworks can
22" .22-250 gunworks can
17" 7mm08 DPT can

These are used for all game here in NZ, and various differences. have not really chronied the other rifles, we just shoot em haha.

Nearly everyone here now is running suppressors, and most guys cut barrels to 22" or under.

It really depends on the caliber/cartridge on what velocity you will loose, and if you hand load you can often gain a bit back.
308s loose bugger all velocity, but some of the over bore magnums can loose alot. look for a short fat powder stack, with a big hole in the end haha, those cases will loose the least.(ie .358 Winchester vs .243)

You will regret having a long ass unwieldy rifle, they are weighted horrible with long barrels, and a real pain in the ass to carry. I think people really over emphasis the long range shooting as a necessity for hunting, if you want to shoot long thats cool, but certainly dont need to, to be a successful hunter.

Seems most of the suppressors ive seen in the US are all muzzle forward designs? any reason you guys dont use more over-barrel cans?

Lawnboi

WKR
17" .243 Gunworks can
18" .308 Gunworks can
21" 300wsm DPT can(get 300fps with 180s)

then we also have(family rifles)

18" .223 with gunworks can
22" .22-250 gunworks can
17" 7mm08 DPT can

These are used for all game here in NZ, and various differences. have not really chronied the other rifles, we just shoot em haha.

Nearly everyone here now is running suppressors, and most guys cut barrels to 22" or under.

It really depends on the caliber/cartridge on what velocity you will loose, and if you hand load you can often gain a bit back.
308s loose bugger all velocity, but some of the over bore magnums can loose alot. look for a short fat powder stack, with a big hole in the end haha, those cases will loose the least.(ie .358 Winchester vs .243)

You will regret having a long ass unwieldy rifle, they are weighted horrible with long barrels, and a real pain in the ass to carry. I think people really over emphasis the long range shooting as a necessity for hunting, if you want to shoot long thats cool, but certainly dont need to, to be a successful hunter.

Seems most of the suppressors ive seen in the US are all muzzle forward designs? any reason you guys dont use more over-barrel cans?
They don’t make many over barrel cans. Along with that, due to how long it takes to get them, guys want something more universal.

I do wish suppressors take off here in the US more for hunting. Only would help. We have too much of a screw it culture to be worried about hearing loss. I don’t think I’ll ever hunt without one again.

OP
L

Thanks for chiming in as I’ve heard NZ is way ahead of the game when it comes to hunting w suppressors.

Are you happy with your 300wsm at 21”? Would you cut the same length again?

I’m putting the 6.25” TB Dominus can on mine, cutting down from stock 24”. Decided will be between 20-22”. Currently have self imposed max shots at 400 and would like to practice enough so in the right conditions, if necessary can shoot a bull elk to 500.

180gr at 3000fps would be awesome.

Do you handload for that I assume?

If so what bullet and powder do you prefer?

thanks,

steve