What lens to get?

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
First off My photography and videography knowledge is limited at best. I took a class in college and have forgotten almost all of that. I just got a Nikon d3200 I couldn’t pass up the deal on but it was the body only. I’m looking to take some photos and perhaps video on my hunts this year as well as take photos at home.

Looking for recommendations on lens rather than just blindly buying something

OP
M

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of shooting will you be doing? Close up? Distant? group shots? Trophy shots?
I’d say most shots are gonna be relatively close. I’ll be digiscoping anything far I want to get a pic of. I’ll take a trophy shot if I get anything lol. Would I be best just to get the 18-55 that usually comes with those lower end dslr kits or would something else?

I would go with a little better lens and much more versatility. Tamron makes an 18-200 that would give you great group shots and also good for wildlife. Normally it's $249.99, there is a $50 instant savings and then a little more as a Rokslide member. It would be $179.99 shipped. It has a 6 year USA warranty as well
Call me to discuss this or any other options

An 18-55 kit lens will suit you just fine to get started in all likelihood, but maybe consider the 50mm f1.8 is handy for shooting in low light, say at the dinner table after dark or other indoor situations as well as a nice light lens to just walk around with. They're pretty ubiquitous and used ones can be had for cheap.

I'd recommend in general to not be afraid of buying used lenses, just do your research to make sure they fit your camera body.

Amasaback

FNG
I have Nikon 18-200 in a DX body. And it’s big brother the Nikon 28-300 for FX bodies. Both are the most versatile lens you can imagine. Not always the absolute sharpest and not a lot of depth of field control but, yet it stay on my camera bodies more than most of my other nicer lenses.

oneisnone

FNG
Unless you're shooting landscape/real estate, I think the best lens you could get is something in the 24-70 range. Great for portraits and decent for shooting animals from a blind/stand

Wapiti1

WKR
For a decent do all lens to start, the one Tamron Joel suggests is solid.

I would also look at the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 F2.8 offerings. Both are sharp lenses and give you a great max aperture for portraits. They are also both very affordable for a fast lens. Under $400 for the Sigma with rebates right now for either and you get a really good lens. $500 for the Tamron. There may be a sale on that one coming though.

I have had the Tamron on a Canon and it is a superb lens.

Jeremy

Oohmatron

FNG
55-200 will be adequate, used 70-200/2.8 would be better quality but heavier. Will also take a 1.4TC to give you 280/4 which would work for longer shots. You get what you pay for...