What lightweight tent do you use and why do you like it?

Im currently trying to decide on a lightweight tent that will last a while. Doesnt need to be a 4 season tent unless it's around or over $350-400. I'm interested in hearing what tents others use or have used and how they like them.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Big Agnes copper spur is my favorite light weight tent. The 1p is great with a small footprint and the 2p is great for 1 with gear inside. This series is side entry which is better when raining and they have good side vestibules. I’m using the bike pack version now as it the poles are a bit shorter when broken down. But I’ve had all the versions over the years and the regular version is fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I have a Dan Durston X-mid 1P tent and I really love it. Extremely light (trekking pole supported), 2 entrances, 2 huge vestibules, and it only cost 200 bucks! If I had it do do over again I would have gone with 2P tent so I had a little more floor space to move my pad around in case I happen to set it up over a bump in the ground I didn't see when setting it up. It's a few ounces more.

jpkoepse

FNG
Z-Packs Duplex... weighs just 19 oz.. if you are solo could go with the Plex Solo which is 13 oz.

Incredibly light... bathtub bottom. But not a 4 season and quite pricey. Seems to be the preferred choice among many backpackers. Seems really durable and easy to setup. Won't find anything lighter than this.

I have ordered one for this upcoming season.. haven't slept in it but I've set it up in the backyard. Seems great but we'll see when I use it out in the field.

Northpark

WKR
Nemo hornet 2p. Very light weight 3season tent. And it’s withstood abuse from my kids which is worse than most storms can dish out. If I remember right off hand the whole package is around 3lbs with the footprint.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Six moon designs Lunar Solo. Single trekking pole set up, bathtub floor with bug net, 23-ish ounces, not expensive.

Bl704

WKR
I've used an MSR wing 70 for about 5 years. 12 Oz and about the size of a tall boy/16oz can, with 4-10 stakes (weather and ground dependent) and my trekking poles. It's served me well in damp Apalachian hikes on the AT to backcountry hunting in Colorado. Like other tatp shelters, you may need to pitch them low in certain weather or env conditions. Has held up fine in light snow, heavy rain (3"/hr in one storm in the NC mtns) and fairly strong winds.

Tarps aren't 4 season shelters. When you have flying / biting bugs, they lack a floor and screen...rain you need to consider where you setup, runoff and more...

For lightweight duty I'm still using my Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum that I bought in 2015. It's held up really well over the years and has seen a lot of use. I haven't looked around lately but I think it's still one of the lightest freestanding 2 person tents at 2 lbs. It's definitely not a 4 season tent but it once got 4 inches of heavy wet snow in November and was fine.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
0PmuFlS.jpg
I have a Tarptent Stratospire Li (dcf)- two person (better with one), double walled, bathtub floor, side entries, two large vestibules, storm worthy and all for 2 lbs!

I just got back from a week long snowshoe trip (across the Bob Marshall Wilderness) and it performed flawlessly. I used it on several backpack hunts last Fall and ditto.

It seems almost magical that you can get that much shelter for 2 lbs! :D

xcutter

WKR
I really liked using my Tarptent Double Rainbow last season. Plenty of room and easy to put up and take down.

Only downside is that condensation was bad during a rainstorm one night and it rained so hard that the condensation was falling off on me. Got my quilt pretty wet.

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
For the money, hard to beat the DST Tarp by Seek Outside -- kinda kicking myself for not buying one in DCF before the pandemic. The silnylon version is 10x10 and weighs 1.5lbs with six stakes and way more cordage than I need. It's as flexible as you want to make it, and doubles as a group shelter for sipping coffee while waiting out thunderstorms.

BBob

WKR
Tarptent Notch Li. I use it both as a tarp with an MLD Super Light bivy and a tent. Very versatile and of course very light. As a tent two entries and two vestibules. As tarp two entries and lots of room and can squeeze two under it in a pinch. I cannot stand front entry tents anymore and side entry is a must.

I think my favorite is the HMG Ultamid 4, or at least it’s the one that gets used the most. It’s pretty light wt. (43 oz. including the stuff sack, a designated CF pole, 4-9.5” MSR Cyclone and 11-6” MSR Groundhog stakes), it easily fits two people and all your gear, at 5’8”, I can almost walk into it without bending over (something that I’m appreciating more and more, the older I get), at almost 6 1/2’ tall, I can easily stand up in it and get dressed (also something that I’m appreciating more and more, the older I get), and it’s very storm worthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone4Days

WKR
What I own/use:

Freestanding - BA Copper Spur
Non Freestanding - Zpacks Duplex

Last edited:

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Kuiu mountain star 2p.
Hoping to test it out this weekend on an overnight trip. Just over 3lb.

Z-Packs Duplex... weighs just 19 oz.. if you are solo could go with the Plex Solo which is 13 oz.

Incredibly light... bathtub bottom. But not a 4 season and quite pricey. Seems to be the preferred choice among many backpackers. Seems really durable and easy to setup. Won't find anything lighter than this.

I have ordered one for this upcoming season.. haven't slept in it but I've set it up in the backyard. Seems great but we'll see when I use it out in the field.
And, made in the USA. Can’t say that about many of the others listed. I have the Plex Solo but I can’t say anything about it besides:
1- it is crazy lightweight. With 12 stakes it weighs exactly 16.5 ounces.
2- it is pretty expensive at around $600.

I bought it for this summer/fall so I’ll post a review after testing it out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I owned a Mountain Star- I thought it was a solid 3+ season tent; 2 person but like the Stratospire, but like the Stratospire better for one, if two make it a spouse :)

I'd probably still own it had I not purchased the Stratospire Li