What lightweight tent do you use and why do you like it?

I just bought a river country 2. I read the mixed reviews, but decided if I were to make what I wanted I would probably come up with something very similar. I’ll spend some time getting the kinks worked out and post up my reviews.

MJB

WKR

Easy set up and tear down. And no bag to shove it into!

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
@a_noob_hunter , I had the mountainstar out on an overnighter this past weekend. Worked well.
Fast and easy set up and plenty of room for my 60lb. English setter and myself. Not sure I would want to sleep two adults unless it was my wife.
Plenty of room under the vestibule on one side for my Kifaru 44 mag. The two way zippers on the doors are also a nice feature. We did have some mixed snow and rain in the morning . Stayed completely dry. I like that it is pitched with the fly already attached as it keeps the inner tent dry during set up and taking it down.
Packed to a nice small package that fit in the side pocket of the 44 mag. Looking forward to getting it out again soon.

OP
a_noob_hunter
@Wilderness Spirit good to hear. Sounds like a solid tent. How do you think it would hold up with several inches of snow? I had a cheap 3 season tent that I got wet in mid-late September due to several inches of snow overnight and thats kinda been a main concern with a 3 season tent. Also how much headroom did you have sitting up in it? Thanks

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Ac338

WKR
I’m using a Seek Outside Silex and really like everything about it. Lightweight and durable, pitches with my trekking poles, spacious for one, and has a stove jack in case I ever decide to buy one.

Attachments

• 69931100-0B1B-4E3C-9258-70E207606938.jpeg
    69931100-0B1B-4E3C-9258-70E207606938.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 145
OP
a_noob_hunter
I’m using a Seek Outside Silex and really like everything about it. Lightweight and durable, pitches with my trekking poles, spacious for one, and has a stove jack in case I ever decide to buy one.
Have you used a stove in it yet?

Scrappy

WKR
And, made in the USA. Can’t say that about many of the others listed. I have the Plex Solo but I can’t say anything about it besides:
1- it is crazy lightweight. With 12 stakes it weighs exactly 16.5 ounces.
2- it is pretty expensive at around $600.

I bought it for this summer/fall so I’ll post a review after testing it out.
Why did I even open this thread, I was completely happy with my BA copper spur. Now you got me looking at taking out a mortgage from my wife.

Ac338

WKR
Have you used a stove in it yet?

No I haven’t used one with it yet. I don’t own a stove, I’ve seen reviews on here with people using a stove though. Ordered mine with the stone jack for more versatility in the future

OP
a_noob_hunter
No I haven’t used one with it yet. I don’t own a stove, I’ve seen reviews on here with people using a stove though. Ordered mine with the stone jack for more versatility in the future
Ok. I havent found just a lot of videos of the silex and eolus with a stove and have wondered how they fit and function in the tent

Ac338

WKR
Ok. I havent found just a lot of videos of the silex and eolus with a stove and have wondered how they fit and function in the tent

Ac338

WKR

Pages 8 and 10 of the thread above have pictures with a stove setup in the Silex. This thread has a lot of info in general on the Silex

I just bought a river country 2. I read the mixed reviews, but decided if I were to make what I wanted I would probably come up with something very similar. I’ll spend some time getting the kinks worked out and post up my reviews.
I have a River Country Products Trekker Tent 2. (I think that is what you are referring to.) I like it a lot. I usually string it between two trees.
When I bought it, it was $40. Now, they are up to $55. Still a great deal for a 2lb. 12oz. tent.

I normally get back to my vehicle, but I do plan for being too far away to make it worth my while to walk back, or emergencies. I always have my ultralight sleeping bag (NewDoar 0 Degree F 800 Fill Power Urltra-Light) and a Survive Outdoors Longer S.O.L. 70% Reflective Escape Bivvy. It is only 8.5 oz. Now, they make an even lighter one.

If i plan to spend the night out, I take my River Country Products Trekker Tent 2. It is cheap ($55), but only 2lbs. 12oz.

Jimbob

WKR
I use a seek outside eolus and I am happy with it. It has been on multiple successful mountain goat and sheep hunts and has survived some very scary storms on exposed mountain tops. It has kept me dry and not let me down so it's hard not to be happy about that. However, it is not perfect. I would like a different door entry and the ability to pitch it tight to the ground without so much fuss. The new guardian looks like an upgrade for sure.

OP
a_noob_hunter
I use a seek outside eolus and I am happy with it. It has been on multiple successful mountain goat and sheep hunts and has survived some very scary storms on exposed mountain tops. It has kept me dry and not let me down so it's hard not to be happy about that. However, it is not perfect. I would like a different door entry and the ability to pitch it tight to the ground without so much fuss. The new guardian looks like an upgrade for sure.
Do you run it with or without the nest? My worst fear with a floorless tent is being caught in a rain storm and eater running thru the underside of the tent and getting gear wet

mlgc20

WKR
I've gotten to where I only use my Zpacks Triplex. It's only 25 ounces (plus trekking poles). It's easily light enough to carry on solo trips. And gives me a ton of space. Typically, my daughter is with me and the triplex is still spacious. Even though it's listed as a 3 person tent, it would be a tight fit. I've used it in some gnarly winds and rain storms and it's performed great. The only downside is price. But, given how much I use it, I've been able to justify it.

Jimbob

WKR
Do you run it with or without the nest? My worst fear with a floorless tent is being caught in a rain storm and eater running thru the underside of the tent and getting gear wet

No nest. When hunting in the mountain its not hard to find a spot where rain will not run under your tent. The only issue I had was camping in a designated spot with a group, I was limited with where I could pitch and knew that water would run under, I made due. The other members of my party had water come through their bathtub floors in that situation.

I have been using a floorless shelter for a long time and really like it. A traditional tent has its place as well.

I have a River Country Products Trekker Tent 2. (I think that is what you are referring to.) I like it a lot. I usually string it between two trees.
When I bought it, it was $40. Now, they are up to $55. Still a great deal for a 2lb. 12oz. tent.
That’s it. Glad to hear someone has a good experience with it.

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
@Wilderness Spirit good to hear. Sounds like a solid tent. How do you think it would hold up with several inches of snow? I had a cheap 3 season tent that I got wet in mid-late September due to several inches of snow overnight and thats kinda been a main concern with a 3 season tent. Also how much headroom did you have sitting up in it? Thanks

I think it would hold up to a couple inches of snow but the vestibules don't come completely down to the ground like a true four season tent. It does allow for a draft which I think would be my concern.
I did forget to mention about the head room. It might be a concern for tall people but at 5' 6" I didn't have a problem and had a few inches of clearance.