What lightweight tent do you use and why do you like it?

Bottom line is, if you really want UL and storm worthy, you have to go floorless. If you want uber UL, than it has to be a DCF floorless shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
a_noob_hunter
Bottom line is, if you really want UL and storm worthy, you have to go floorless. If you want uber UL, than it has to be a DCF floorless shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats about the best way ive seen it summed up

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

OP
a_noob_hunter
Ended up going with a SeekOutside eolus. I would love a dcs tent from zpacks but can't afford them (yet). Ive got a hiking trip in WV that ill try the tent out on in a couple weeks

Holocene

WKR
I've used a Z-packs triplex for a few years and have enjoyed it. It's made with a rad camo colored DCF, which the company seem to have discontinued. I got the triplex since I'm tall and planned to hunt with a buddy and/or little bird dog and hunt mostly in South Carolina and the Pacific Northwest. The tent is big enough for that situation and still ridiculously light. We can fit two guys, a Boykin, and gear. A bathtub floor helps in the rain, and the netting helps with bugs.

Got a Seek Outside Cimarron DCF earlier this year for a Nevada elk hunt, but was peer pressured into a hotel and never even used it. I'll be trying that out soon and might sell one as their use cases overlap quite a bit.

IMG_2466.JPEG

Let me know how you like it. Ive heard mixed reviews about them but dont have any firsthand experience with kuiu tents

I have a 1st gen Kuiu Mountain Star. I love it. Handles snow no problem, light, easy to set up. Carbon poles can be a little delicate during setup/ takedown, but that's the only issue I've had with mine, and they stood behind it when I broke a pole before I understood how exactly to put it up... I've used it for everything from early season archery to late season at 11,000. Had some good luck with North Face tents too, I have a Mountain 25 that's 20+ years old and still performing flawlessly. Its a heavy 4 season bomb shelter, but I've used their lightweight tents over the years as well and they are exceptional. Mountain Hardware also makes some excellent light weight tents.

Kuiu summit refuge and paratarp, both bought through classifieds. Love the summit refuge for a do-it-all tent with lots of space, or when I want bug netting. Havent used the paratarp yet, ill be using it for fastpacking and early season ultralight hunts. I could honestly just use the summit refuge, its incredibly versatile.

Im currently trying to decide on a lightweight tent that will last a while. Doesnt need to be a 4 season tent unless it's around or over $350-400. I'm interested in hearing what tents others use or have used and how they like them.

The DCF silex is about as perfect as it gets for me. Finally got to test it in some nasty weather the past few days, and there is no going back for me… no sag, no wetted out drippy nylon, shake the water off, and the size is perfect for one and gear, plenty of room to put my clothes so they aren’t touching the tent soaking up condensation, and condensation isn’t bad to start

Think I will get a borah bivy for it and will have a perfect setup for anything I’ll do. I doubt i will ever buy a tent that’s not DCF again, it’s worth the extra dough for me

Ended up going with a SeekOutside eolus. I would love a dcs tent from zpacks but can't afford them (yet). Ive got a hiking trip in WV that ill try the tent out on in a couple weeks

I have one of those too, and it’s a kick ass tent… if I would have bought it in DCF I wouldn’t have ever bought the silex, but a lot of my tent sleeping is in the rain, and DCF has some big advantages there, if you are in a lot of wet weather

The eolus is big, but there really isn’t a weight penalty, I like mine a lot… I will use it in dryer weather and especially warmer weather because it’s really good at condensation control… you will like that tent

I've used a Z-packs triplex for a few years and have enjoyed it. It's made with a rad camo colored DCF, which the company seem to have discontinued. I got the triplex since I'm tall and planned to hunt with a buddy and/or little bird dog and hunt mostly in South Carolina and the Pacific Northwest. The tent is big enough for that situation and still ridiculously light. We can fit two guys, a Boykin, and gear. A bathtub floor helps in the rain, and the netting helps with bugs.

Got a Seek Outside Cimarron DCF earlier this year for a Nevada elk hunt, but was peer pressured into a hotel and never even used it. I'll be trying that out soon and might sell one as their use cases overlap quite a bit.

View attachment 401274
That’s a sweet tent… I have never seen DCF that color, does anyone you know of offer a similar color? I want a tarp in an earth tone or camo, DCF would be ideal

Setting up a tarp for glassing in the rain would sure be handy

OP
a_noob_hunter
I have one of those too, and it’s a kick ass tent… if I would have bought it in DCF I wouldn’t have ever bought the silex, but a lot of my tent sleeping is in the rain, and DCF has some big advantages there, if you are in a lot of wet weather

The eolus is big, but there really isn’t a weight penalty, I like mine a lot… I will use it in dryer weather and especially warmer weather because it’s really good at condensation control… you will like that tent
Can you custom order one in DCF? I was guess I didnt realize that was an option or I would have chosen it. Not that i plan on hunting in the western coast rain forest climate but it sure would be nice to have.

Holocene

WKR
That’s a sweet tent… I have never seen DCF that color, does anyone you know of offer a similar color? I want a tarp in an earth tone or camo, DCF would be ideal

That color used to be a stock option for Zpacks, but they dropped it a few years ago. If you look at wholesale DCF sites, the color appears as an option but it seems to be sold out or unavailable.

It looks REALLY good in the woods.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Z-packs has about 6 different colors of DCF. Camo ones pop up on BPL from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CoStick

WKR
I really liked using my Tarptent Double Rainbow last season. Plenty of room and easy to put up and take down.

Only downside is that condensation was bad during a rainstorm one night and it rained so hard that the condensation was falling off on me. Got my quilt pretty wet.
Were you using the liner?

ianpadron

WKR
So far, every hunting partner of mine has bought a Silex after seeing mine in action. That says a lot.

Not perfect, but as good as it gets for the combination of weight/price/function.

20210916_165155.jpg