What longbows should I look at?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m in the process of upgrading my red bows, I have a black widow psa on order but I’d like to get a longbow ordered.

What is out there? I’d love to see pics. Looking at toelke, thunderhorn, javaman, black widow so far.

Thanks!!!

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
top pic 57lbs cherry with bow bolt option and sheep horn tips. Bottom pic 52 bacote. Bows are super quiet and fast. If I was gonna go Toelke I’d consider a super D but that’s just my style the Whip is a good bow I’m just not really partial to how hybrids look.

Attachments

• 36DE25F2-7E3E-4C1D-B2A2-4341DEC63B56.jpeg
    36DE25F2-7E3E-4C1D-B2A2-4341DEC63B56.jpeg
    656.4 KB · Views: 35

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the speed, I like straight grips, def the look. Idk how to describe it but I like the way they shoot better too. I’ve got the whip, hunted most the season with it last year, just not a bow I use all the time. Idk why last year I used it so much.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I prefer the speed, I like straight grips, def the look. Idk how to describe it but I like the way they shoot better too. I’ve got the whip, hunted most the season with it last year, just not a bow I use all the time. Idk why last year I used it so much.

Thanks for the feedback, with the recurve, the. Lack widow was an easy choice for me. With the longbows, it’s not seeming to be as straightforward of a decision for me.

slvrslngr

WKR
The Toelke Whip is a great choice. You might also put Liberty and Blacktail on the list. In all reality, there’s so many good choices today it’s hard to go wrong.

GLB

WKR
I have 2 Robertson Primal Styks that I would judge all others longbows of that style. Great bows and the Robertson’s are a great family that has been at for a long long time.

Attachments

• 996B4062-3A13-478E-95D0-0EE49733CF7F.jpeg
    996B4062-3A13-478E-95D0-0EE49733CF7F.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 60

wytx

WKR
I've got a Predator Longbow made by Robert Lutkenhaus in Muenster, Tx. Great shooting bow, has carbon lams that make it very smooth drawing and shooting.
Herb Meland, Pronghorn Bows, in Casper, Wy also makes a great take down longbow.

I have 2 Robertson Primal Styks that I would judge all others longbows of that style. Great bows and the Robertson’s are a great family that has been at for a long long time.
You can say that again. The Robertson name has been synonymous with traditional bowhunting for the past 30 years or more.

Wrench

WKR
I have several and the Toelke Whistler is a standout for me. It is smaller, faster and almost as forgiving as a much longer whip. I also really enjoy the great northern 3 rivers tomahawk. Those are super underrated.

I may have to put a Robertson on the list. I just found out that Yote is kin to a good friend of mine.

Reactions: GLB
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have several and the Toelke Whistler is a standout for me. It is smaller, faster and almost as forgiving as a much longer whip. I also really enjoy the great northern 3 rivers tomahawk. Those are super underrated.

I may have to put a Robertson on the list. I just found out that Yote is kin to a good friend of mine.

The toelke Whistler is interesting. What’s your draw length? I’m a bit over 29”

Kentucky

WKR
I have a JT Tradional archery Apollo.. I’m liking it.

Attachments

• CD3D255A-329A-4153-AD07-22CD919A1660.jpeg
    CD3D255A-329A-4153-AD07-22CD919A1660.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 28
  • B91DB2C1-D501-4D0A-B8AB-FEDD77BE41DA.jpeg
    B91DB2C1-D501-4D0A-B8AB-FEDD77BE41DA.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1A76AF33-AF4C-403C-BC98-17DC72E28A3E.jpeg
    1A76AF33-AF4C-403C-BC98-17DC72E28A3E.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 28

Wrench

WKR
The toelke Whistler is interesting. What’s your draw length? I’m a bit over 29”
I too am 29 and a bit. Mine is a 58". I have taken it to 30" with no problem. I suggest talking to Dan about the Whistler.....it is EVERYTHING he claims. Mine is a takedown and has ZERO hand shock.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I too am 29 and a bit. Mine is a 58". I have taken it to 30" with no problem. I suggest talking to Dan about the Whistler.....it is EVERYTHING he claims. Mine is a takedown and has ZERO hand shock.
I’ve heard this so many times. I’m completely insensitive to hand shock but I’ve shots lots of bows. Not the one you mention but others guys swore had zero hand shock. That wasn’t true. I’m very skeptical that’s the case. Minimal, less than some? Maybe. None in comparison to real bad ones maybe. Zero at all? I’d have to see that before I ever believed that. Bear in mind my hands feel recurve limbs vibrate and semi type gun actions function. Sorta surprised no one else mentions d so maybe my hands feel things some guys don’t , lifting weights 40 years and as long in construction it’s hard to believe these calloused hands are more sensitive than others though. Food for though

Wrench

WKR
All i can say is that I have at least 10 grand worth of bows right now and the Whistler is the most dead in the jand of any ive owned or shot. I can shoot it open handed and it will not launch, jump or anything unpredictable.

If everyone says it ......

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
many guys prob have at least 10 grand tied up in bows, I’ll believe it’s the best you’ve ever shot. I’d love though to see a completely open hand, non moving bow. I don’t think it’s exists bud.
Video tape yourself shooting it, keep your hand open, shoot on soft grass so you don’t scratch it, than video your bow at release. Watch yourself grab bow. Watch that to determine your perception and see if it lines up with reality. Not saying it doesn’t mind you.
Now I’d not advise an open hand shooting style mind you it’s just something you may want to watch. If it is really the case post it, I’ve never seen it and would love to. Dead in the hand is a misnomer imo.