What “luxury” items do you carry on your back?

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Stove is my biggest “luxury” item that I rarely leave at home. I got caught in a wicked storm this year, and by the time I got back to camp, it looked like a bomb went off. Everything in my camp was strewn about in a 50 yd radius, and covered in hail (including my sleeping bag). Stove came in handy to say the least….
I do a lot of 14 day solo trips, even into late season. Personally, I have no use for a hatchet or saw. Honestly, it is pretty amazing the size of wood you can process (and how much time and energy you can save) by utilizing rocks. Prop one end of the stick/log up, and drop a large rock where you want it to break.
I don’t pack anything else you mentioned. Personally, I won’t partake in alcohol on the mountain, as I have no desire to be anymore dehydrated than I already am. (Then again, I usually have to drop 800ft, on average, to find water where I hunt). Instead of alcohol, I usually pack some type of supplements (pre-workout, electrolytes, etc).

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I don't expect do a lot of glassing off a tripod, I'll throw in a Granite Peak tripod- 8 oz including a small ball head

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/Granite_Peak_Tripod.html

camp shoes always go- getting out of boots, but still able to get chores done, take care of outside "business", wading something I know will wet out my boots, etc make them worth it

I have a lightweight cot, unless I'm going to be going on stock, it stays at home

I will often bring a slightly oversized air mattress though (Xtherm Large)

Double espresso cans, flask and vac-packed 10oz filet mignon steaks. Of course, I put em in my buddy's pack. The cigars go in my pack...can't let him carry all the snivel gear.

1634241626364.png

Fiskar Pruning saw, I do not go in the field without it. Most versatile tool. Clear shooting lanes, Emergency & Non-Emergency Shelters, cut bedding , cut firewood, emergency bush craft needs, build brush blinds, trim up foliage around Game Cameras, clear foliage and small limbs and plant growth for a place to lie down & to set up camp. One stays in my truck & One in my pack all the time.

First Items - Water Filter, Fire Kit, Knife, Saw

Jhill1980

FNG
This is primarily for experienced backpack / back country guys. Doing my first back pack trip this fall for a late season rifle hunt. What items do you bring from comfort that aren’t strictly necessary but you feel are worth the weight? Accustomed to horse camps so this is a change for me.

Currently planning to bring items below as they seem worth the weight on their own, but combined seems like a lot of extra stuff.

I’m estimating my pack weight with food, 1 day of water and to be 60-65 lbs including rifle with all of the below. Looks like if I went bare bones and eliminated all / most of the below I could drop 10 lbs or so.

We will hunt out of base camp and do not intend to move camp once it’s up so these will really only be carried in and out, not daily. 3-4 miles from trailhead. I’m in pretty good shape and will do some extra rucking to get ready but I’m a flat lander. Mountains are going to kick my ass.

Here is my list of luxury items in no particular order:
  1. Titanium stove - not sure this counts since there 3 of us are going and we will split the tipi / pole & stakes / stove between the 3 of us. It’s going to be cold. 4.5 lbs or so
  2. Thermarest ultra lite cot. 3 lbs. I am a terrible sleeper and think the weight is worth it
  3. Camp shoes / rubber soled slippers ~1 lb
  4. Hatchet - 2 lbs. will have a couple of saws between us so not really necessary but helpful.
  5. Battery powered led dome light for tent. 8 oz.
  6. Tripod with bino attachment and yoke. it’s a small one, 1.8 lbs. pretty tight country, not a lot of open spaces for glassing so won’t get a ton of use but it’s nice to have as a rest if opportunity for a longer shot
  7. Pint or so of liquor. 1-2 lbs. Definitely needed but fun
I think trying to bring a cot, lightweight or not, is definitely a LUXURY. Cots will actually make you colder as all of the cold air accumulating underneath will sap your heat. A Sea To Summit thermal bag liner is my “luxury “ item. It packs down to the size of my fist, adds a few degrees of warmth/keeps you expensive bag cleaner, and protects it from the sort an oil you bag can accumulate over time. But, at the end of the day. Whatever, keeps you comfortable, and hunting everyday is what you need. Extra weight=Extra calories spent, less mobility, and really adds up over miles in rugged terrain. Especially, during packout. Using pack animals and carrying everything in yourself are entirely different types of hunting. All of those “comfort” items come at a cost to your body as mileage starts to rack up.

LA Hunter

FNG
Mine is the helinox chair zero, I use 12x binos with my trekking poles to stabilize.
A pillow and ... a pillow.

Bourbon and a solar powered luci lantern are my luxury items. Most of the the time when I’m hunting in ca there’s a fire restriction so the luci lantern is a nice way to not be sitting around flashing each other in the face with headlights after the time changes. sipping on a little bourbon after dinner is a nice end to a day.

Moserkr

WKR
Wouldnt call it luxury, but I always wondered about those luci lights. At 4.4oz, dont think ill be getting a luci. Been using the 1oz rechargeable nite ize below for a few years. Not super bright but just enough to light up a big tipi so you can put away the head lamp.

Wouldnt call it luxury, but I always wondered about those luci lights. At 4.4oz, dont think ill be getting a luci. Been using the 1oz rechargeable nite ize below for a few years. Not super bright but just enough to light up a big tipi so you can put away the head lamp.

This is the one I use it’s 2.8 oz, been thinking about the bigger one though, I’m certain that I wouldn’t notice the 1.5 oz difference and the extra light could be nice when it gets dark at 5:00. With no fire, it makes for some pretty boring evenings. Been using it for a couple years now, maybe I’ll get the other if it breaks. That nite iz looks pretty neat I &will have to check it out.

I don’t bring any of the items you listed except for camp shoes. I just use crocs but whatever. My luxury items come into my sleep system. I use a Exped down mat and My Pillow Travel Pillow. Both have weight penalty but make me sleep better.

I’d try out a sleep system like Big Agnes with a nice pad. They have a sleeve the pad slides in, saves weight in the bag cutting out the insulation on the bottom and you’ll never roll off the pad.
Camp shoes are nice to have, especially to air out your feet after a lot of hiking. Depending on the weather, peacock hand warmers and lighter fluid is something I never leave behind when the temps dip. I have a field optics research carbon tripod that you can unscrew two of the legs off of to double as hiking poles. Multiple use items make it a lot easier to justify carrying.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
It’s only 8 oz
This is your #1 problem. 8 oz is half a pound! I've reached the point I'm scrutinizing items that weigh 2 oz.

Don’t estimate your pack wieght. Pack it up like for real and weigh it, with your rifle.
This is the right idea, but it's more effective to sit down with a computer, Microsoft Excel, and a kitchen scale, and weigh your pack and every item that goes in it. When you see that list of weights, you'll start to notice the items that aren't worth their weight, or are heavier than they should/could be. Remember that saving 4 oz each with 4 items is a pound.

I have one of those Luxury Lite cots Therm-A-Rest sells. I used to pack it in on backcountry trips, and I slept fairly well on it. To me, it was a guarantee of a flat place to sleep, regardless of the ground. However, I bought a better sleeping pad (Sea to Summit Comfort Light), and found I didn't miss the cot. I'm sure I'm younger than you, Black SS, but I crushed 2 vertebrae years ago and have hips needing replacement, so I understand the importance of comfort = sleep in the backcountry.

I do carry a Camp Time Roll-A-Chair pretty much everywhere. It's a luxury item I don't compromise on.

Only once have I packed in a separate pair of footwear, which was heavy but definitely a luxury. I wear my boot liners as slippers in the tent, and slip on the boots without liners when I go out to piss.

To avoid a 2nd tent light, I loop my headlamp around the tent center pole like a girth hitch, pull the elastic tight, and point it away from everyone's eyes. It's always been sufficient.

A lot of people carry their full wallet and keys into the backcountry. Weigh that stuff! Seems like every trip, someone carries a pocketful of coins for days away from civilization. Doesn't even make sense. Credit cards, too. Lock as much as you can out of sight in your vehicle, and hide the key somewhere on the vehicle. Carry only your ID and license/permit.

With a group of 3, you certainly don't need more than one saw. Although I don't own one of my own, I like having some sort of hatchet with, as the weather can make splitting wood important. One saw and one hatchet is enough for a group of 9.

One thing to consider is multi tools. Those are usually 8+ oz each, or 1.5-2+ lbs for 3 guys. A strong case can be made for having 2 in the group (to hold both ends of a bolt), but no more. If your buddies both carry a Leatherman or similar, you could drop down to a 1-2 oz knife and save some weight, or just rely on only your kill kit knife.

My group has really scrutinized food. We've learned that snacks add the most weight, and the amount of weight in snacks most people both pack in *and* pack out is surprising. We've found that stopping to boil a pot of instant soup mix is way more efficient than jerky, granola bars and trail mix, both in terms of pack weight and the boost you get from it (especially if the weather is poor!).