What magnification for a practice rifle?

TX_Diver

WKR
Don’t be in such a hurry to make a poor choice. If it’s a practice gun( or a hunting gun) the 6x is better than all mentioned save the 3-9x swfa- and even then I’d set it to 6x and leave it.

The whole thing about a practice rifle with a 6x is it FORCES you to see what’s happening. All magnification does is hide everything that’s important. All the ones saying they “need” more than 6x at medium distances are saying that because they have never done it. Every single person I have experience with can see and aim, without issue on deer/antelopes and similar sized targets out to 600’ish with 6x. That’s hundredths, upon hundreds of people. From 6 years old to 80. The 6x fixed is an advantage to learning to shoot, not a hindrance

I'm keeping an eye out to try one on a 30-06. Main reason I haven't pulled the trigger though is a lot of hunting is in thick timber and my current scope has a 2.5x low end. I assume you've used it in thick timber? Any thoughts?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I assume you've used it in thick timber? Any thoughts?

Lots. But if my shots were sub 100 yards all the time, then a 6x wouldn’t be the optimum choice necessarily. However, as an all around 0-600’ish yard scope, a good fixed 6x is extremely hard to top in usefulness. I have killed lots of deer under 20 yards with a 6x.

Gotitbad

FNG
Anyone tried the VX scout 1.5-4 28mm? At 8.4oz I’m temped to put one on Tikka super light